Oregon coast trip!

Like snapping pictures? Amateurs, hobbyists and professionals all enthusastically supported!
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Oregon coast trip!

Post by mr tibbs »

The wife and I just got back from an epic (to us) adventure to Oregon and down the coast. The plan was simple, camp in the Columbia River gorge for a few nights, spend a couple of nights in Portland in a hotel, two more nights camping on the coast, then one more night in Reno, NV about half way home. It took us 9 days, 2660 miles (or 4281 kms), and we had a blast with zero issues!! We loaded up Stoffel (1989 HJ61) the day before and headed out on a Friday. The Tepui tent was already installed so the pack up wasn't too bad. The wife and I did have a talk prior to leaving about traveling in a 27 year old vehicle that was never sold here in the US. We agreed that there would be some issue (big or small) and we would deal with it when it happened. Worst comes to worst we ship Stoffel to the nearest competent mechanic, or home and rent a vehicle to finish off the trip. Turns out everything went better than expected and no mechanic was needed!!!

The first three days (and nights) we spent in the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful, beautiful country!

Setting up camp in the pouring rain

Happy wife in the Tepui tent!

The Columbia River from Vista House

Waterfalls everywhere!!

Boat ride!!

Multhnoma falls

The next couple of night were spent in a hotel in downtown Portland. I was pretty worried about parking because the hotel only had validated parking and Stoffel wouldn't fit. They pointed me to a garage a half a block away and they were the ticket! Not only did Stoffel fit, but the guys were from Micronesia and used to the RHD, win win!! They even moved an Audi to make room for it righ up front. Lol

Parking spot of honor!! Lol

Portland was a great town to visit. Food was great, we felt safe walking around, and there is a ton of culture there. I'm not sure we would want to live there, but awesome to visit! While there we went to the Japanese garden and the Rose garden. Sooooo many flowers!! Also, we went out to dinner with Brian and his wife while in Portland. It was great to meet up with them and get to know them a bit!

After that we were off to the coast! Being from landlocked Utah we really don't see the kind of water and bridges that were in the area. So freaking cool!

[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Re: Oregon coast trip!

Post by mr tibbs »

Then we got to the coast. HOLY FREAKING S#&*!!! The coast was so damn scenic it was stupid. We seriously had a 6 hour drive from Portland to our camping spot the next day and it took us about 11 hours. Every time we would come around another corner we would pull over and take more pics! The first night we stayed in a State Park near the coast and the second night was in Redwood National and State Park right on the coast. Awesome, awesome night!

After that it was on to Reno for a night and then home. It was a great trip and the old Land Cruiser did fantastic! We couldn't be happier about the trip and can't wait for the next! Thanks for looking and the rest of the pics can be found here!
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

mr tibbs wrote:Image

This picture. This is the one. You seem to have captured nature in all it's beauty.

And your wife is a major hottie but seriously, no love for the B Rian? :lol:
Boomshackalacka
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

damn man, those are some remarkable pics. dont share too many. oregon has too many transplants! :P
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...