So how many watts are you running your rsd65cs?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

So how many watts are you running your rsd65cs?

Post by waynehead »

Just like the title says. And more importantly, is there any reason to believe the crossovers couldn't take 400 watts rms..... :mrgreen: I am seriously considering running my x200.4 and x1200.1. Im sure someone is going to ask so I will go ahead and say, I have a stock alternator, which is crap. Im not going to be using all of either of these amps, ever. I do plan on doing the big three, buying a battery, and installing my rmd to keep an eye on things because of the retarded current draw that will be possible, but the decision to use these is pretty much just for heardoom and a complete lack of distortion.My only concern is I dont think my Idmax on the x1200.1 will be enough if everything is set at the respected voltages at 0db. Any thoughts. Im thinking maybe a set of 15's will help. Also to save from me starting another thread, I want some input on deadening. The cargo/hatch area is getting done well, and Im planning on some for the doors. I have heard some people say that the rsd components perform better without sealing the doors. So should I just deaded in spots, seal the entire door. I would think at the very least sealing the baffle would not be able to hurt the performance. I couldnt imagine a leaky baffle sounding better. Please, I know a good few of you have heard these. Lend me your opinions. Thanks to all as always
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

I've had mine on an x200.2 for about 2 years now with no problem. As long as you are careful I think it should work...
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i think the mechanical xmax of the rsd's is reached WAY before 200 watts....what are you wanting to gain?

the power supply would probably have much more headroom if you only ran the front channels

have you already tried em with the channels not bridged?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

No I havent installed them at all. I still need to do some deadning work and decide on a couple more components. I am sure these little things dont need all that power I just thought I might try it to see what the outcome. It always seems like things sound better with more power, even if you arent turning it up louder. It is definately just temporary because, One, I dont want my xenons in the hands of the witch all the time, and two, they are just too fucking big. Im actually thinking about a set of the new S amps when they come out. I think the 4 channel bridged on components and the s1000 on a single rsdc12 would fit the bill in all forms. The xenon idea was just to do it. Its probably not a good idea. I was just kinda wondering. Half of the 200.4 is totally enough. I know what it did with my bostons. Painful awesomeness. I am very excited to hear these bad boys. The stock speakers are so awful.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Bridged M44.

I have them sealed up pretty small, tight and heavy so they move very little but still get rowdy. You could put more power on them with the enclosures I have and be totally fine. But watch out if you don't have a tightly sealed small enclosure, I'm sure it's not too too hard to make them hit xmax without a small enclosure.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

That xover will not take 400 watts for very long. The parts inside aren't designed for that much power. Mostly the resistors aren't rated for that much. IIRC they're 5w resistors and for 400 watts they'd need to be at least double that 10-15w range. I would think that 10w would be OK.

As B said though, XMAX would be hit before the 400 would be reached.

I, myself, run the RSD6.5 mid active at 100w, the RSD3 mid and Memphis PR-15 tweet passive at 80w.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The RSD components will sound better on a sealed panel.

I agree, 200 watts is totally enough for them. One thing to look out for though is that using only the front channels of a 4ch amp can draw 4 channels worth of power supply through only the front transistors. Be careful when you set the gains, because you don't want to cause your outputs to draw that extra power.

This would not be an issue if you ran it bridged, though doing so does add distortion to your signal as well, so it wouldn't sound as clean. Whether or not you can actually hear the difference is a good question.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

I agree, 200 watts is totally enough for them. One thing to look out for though is that using only the front channels of a 4ch amp can draw 4 channels worth of power supply through only the front transistors. Be careful when you set the gains, because you don't want to cause your outputs to draw that extra power.
Really? Care to elaborate? I've never heard of this before.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I too haven't heard that. It was my understanding that the amps had built in protection against something like that.

????? :scratch:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Well that settles it then. Ill be running one of my subs off of the back of the xenon. I just feel bad because my x1200.1 doesnt get much love because I never need anymore than my x200.4. Id like to sell this set and try to find an octane or SOFA. Either of those would be perfect for my needs. I do like some loud bass everyonce in a while but I have found that 400 watts on a 12 makes enough bass to quench my need. I appreciate everyones input. Does anyone know if an mx-2 has a 10x multiplier? Or any other Pg crossover? That would open up the possibility of building kicks for my 4's and tweets and could use all of my 200.4 for those 8) . I wish I knew how to build passives.... So I could do it thata way.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

dwnrodeo wrote:
Really? Care to elaborate? I've never heard of this before.
It's something Cecil felt very strongly about. He said he saw more 4ch amps with failed outputs on his bench than any other. This was because of people running subs on the rear channel, who would set the gains way too high, and cause the outputs to draw too much current from the power supply.

Odds are the RSDs would give you audible stress signs before this ever became an issue. You would have to try to feed more than 200w into them.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

waynehead wrote:Well that settles it then. Ill be running one of my subs off of the back of the xenon. I just feel bad because my x1200.1 doesnt get much love because I never need anymore than my x200.4. Id like to sell this set and try to find an octane or SOFA. Either of those would be perfect for my needs. I do like some loud bass everyonce in a while but I have found that 400 watts on a 12 makes enough bass to quench my need. I appreciate everyones input. Does anyone know if an mx-2 has a 10x multiplier? Or any other Pg crossover? That would open up the possibility of building kicks for my 4's and tweets and could use all of my 200.4 for those 8) . I wish I knew how to build passives.... So I could do it thata way.
my mx3i has and the mx2 does have the 10x I thats they are the only one I can think of but i could be wrong.
http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manua ... manual.pdf
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport