well I will no longer be soldering my power connections

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

ttocs wrote:unfortunatly I am fairly sur that the compression terminal is too bulky on the back of my alt. I had barely enough space to get my 1/4" drive ratchet and a small bit in to remove the bolt. I had to remove the oil breather to do it but I am afraid that once it is back on it would short out.
Your alternator on the backside of the engine.....lower half ?

The kind you gotta pull everything off to get it out of there ?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

94 mustang with a 302, the intake and oil breather are really tight not to mention the spark plug wires that go behind it also. I really do not mind those connections but it is always a bigger conector that is un-insulated. I barely have enough space for the 4 awg ring that goes on it so getting something bigger would be hard. Found my camera give me a few and I will upload pics of all of it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

here you can see the cable. IT looks like the last 3-4 inches has been pretty hot as the cable is a darker color then normal. I will agree about the arcing as the ends is black and shows evidence. Like I said the other day noticed it was dropping slowely on the way home and didn't matter if I was at ildle or at speed so I think at that point there was only a small portion of it holding on.

If you look behind the wire you can see the alt and the lug is on the right hand side right behind the breather. My battery and ground terminal are compression fittings but with that small space I am sure it will short out.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Most heat shrink has a 2:1 shrink ratio The stuff I buy is 3:1 and has a glue/sealant that makes a perfect water tight seal. Its about double the price but worth it I think.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well I guess the question here is did teh corrosion come before the cracks?
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I would say it probably cracked first.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

ttocs wrote:not sure how you would use a compression fitting ring terminal to hook up to the alt. There is no space for the bulky fitting neither behind the alt nor on the terminal, hell th 4 awg barely fit there. Also not sure how the compression fitting would have done for corrosion but I also wonder if it were solid copper what would have happened.
I couldn't use a comp fitting on my alt either. Barely got a regular this 1/0g ring terminal on mine on top of the factory wire....no way in hell a PG 1/0g compression fitting would work.

And I love me some compression fittings....
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."