RCA wire

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Blad09

RCA wire

Post by Blad09 »

What kind of wire would I need to make my own RCA's? Doesn't have to be pretty. I've heard coax, speaker wire twisted together, what's the best way to go?
nutxo

Re: RCA wire

Post by nutxo »

I've done this and it worked out very well for me. I used canare star quad. Sleeved it with techflex and shrink the ends. I g tmy ends ffrom parts express.

It makes for a super clean install. Its pretty wierd though whne someone looks at my stereo and starts asking questions about the RCAs and install instead of equipment.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

don't go too cheap. I have personally heard the difference that good(not great or amazing) cables can do over cheapies and have never looked back. There are a number of brands that sell wire in bulk, I used stinger last time and using old-school pg cables on this next one.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

So basically any decent 4 conductor will give me 2ch RCA's then? Should awg be considered? Thanks for the help guys.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

wire gauge is not too much of a factor since you are not pushing power through them. The resistance and wire material is more importants. The best cables are made of silver and are not cheap, copper is great as well and the chance of hearing the difference between the two is minimal. Now like I said you can possible hear a difference between those two and a cheap walmart pair of rca's. When I wired one of my first systems I didn't have the cash and just used what ever I could find. A year or two later I had the money and upgraded all my cables to some nice monster cables and thought I heard a difference but figured it was just a placibo effect. The next day when I picked up my friend for school he asked if I got a new amp?
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Blad09 wrote:So basically any decent 4 conductor will give me 2ch RCA's then? Should awg be considered? Thanks for the help guys.
Can actually make a 4 channel with 4 conductor if yuo keep track of the wires. Canare is fantastic quality and nearly indestructible. It also comes in any color you could want or you can just sleeve it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

4 channel with 4 conductor wire?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Don't forget your ground :P

I've had way too many friends cheap out and buy RCAs that use speaker wire and have no shields :idiot: :idiot:

Shielded, twisted pair wire is the way to go!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

agreed. I was really happy with the stinger xpl wire I think it was. It was extra thick and shielded..
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

Great! thnx for the tips, I will keep them all in mind. The only thing I don't understand is how to get 4ch from a 4 conductor, wouldn't I need four +'s and four -'s? Anyways, I'll only be doin 2ch to see how they turn out. Thanx again for help everybody!
I really love bein able to come here with absolutely any question I can think of and ending up with answers from those who have "been there, done that," really appreciate it so thnx again!!!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would love to see the schematic as well. MAybe he meant with 5 wires you could do a common ground type but I would not recomend that either.
XONE

RCA wire

Post by XONE »

I would use the Stinger HPM2 bulk RCA if you want to make your own. The wires us already double twisted and shielded and comes in 125 foot roll. The last thing you want to is get cheap wire and put all that time and effort to get substandard results. The Stinger part number is SHI22BC and if you want their ends they come in 4 pack, SHI22BE
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

ttocs wrote:4 channel with 4 conductor wire?
sorry. I was vegged out. 2 channel
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

XONE wrote:I would use the Stinger HPM2 bulk RCA if you want to make your own. The wires us already double twisted and shielded and comes in 125 foot roll. The last thing you want to is get cheap wire and put all that time and effort to get substandard results. The Stinger part number is SHI22BC and if you want their ends they come in 4 pack, SHI22BE
I believe that's the wire ttocs sold to me and it works great! Highly recommended.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?