MS1000 Plexi advice!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
phoenix_rising

MS1000 Plexi advice!

Post by phoenix_rising »

Hi guys,

I need to source a piece of plexi glass to replace the broken one for my ms1000 ... however, i don't know a great deal about plastics and wanted to ask whether anyone could suggest what type im after? Im assuming the original plexi's are a thin acrylic thats prone to cracking so was wondering whether polycarbonate would be a better substitute as the price difference is negligible....

http://www.acrylic-online.co.uk/product ... olor=clear

It seems to be tough stuffer stuff, much more so than acrylic however i dont know whether the transparency of polycarbonate is generally different to that of Acrylic? I know these bigger amps can get quite toasty so wanted something with a high thermal threshold as well incase of bowing?

If anyones got any better suggestions i'm all ears!

Cheers.
todd217

MS1000 Plexi advice!

Post by todd217 »

Polycarbonate is the same thing as lexan. It's just as clear as acrylic but cost more but it's not as brittle. A lot of bullet proof glass is made out of polycarbonate.
Audiophiliac

Re: MS1000 Plexi advice!

Post by Audiophiliac »

hmmm....you have me thinking now. I want to do something unique with my MPS2500. I am thinking maybe I will have a custom glass back made! Then I will have it screened.

Maybe someone should call Corning and see if they will do a run of Gorilla Glass panels for our old school amps. :P
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Het Todd... can you see any reasen not to use the polycarbonate? if the finish is the same... it just seems like a better choice... ?
todd217

MS1000 Plexi advice!

Post by todd217 »

It just cost more. I was going to use it on my ms1000 but never got around to ordering some. If you make a stencil rc car body paint is made for lexan and you could do something custom and it won't flake off.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Does anyone know if theres any to scale CAD images of the ms1000 plexi knocking about anywhere with all the drill holes marked out and done to scale? Preferably that would be good enough to send to a plastic supplier to cut and drill to?