Iphone as a head unit?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

Iphone as a head unit?

Post by Bchester6 »

Recently, my friend had his head unit "unprofessionally" removed (stolen) along with all other stereo components that we had installed a little while back. As we discussed what equipment needed to be replaced and he posed the question I was a bit thrown off. I had initially scoffed and said no but the more I thought about it... why not? I'm a little worried about input voltage and remote turn on which may not be an issue with a preamp driver and a toggle switch? Can't be that easy right? What am I missing here other than brain cells that I can't replace :lol:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Iphone as a head unit?

Post by Bfowler »

totally works. input voltage is a bit low, but they make plenty of line drivers if needed. you can still use the cars 12v switched wire that the H/U would have used as your remote on.

headunits have more sources (cd, aux, tuner etc) and a nice display and many controls and multiple preouts (and power which most people still want). but as far as amps know...signal is signal. they dont care that its an apple product :)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Do it in the fun car. Works well, I'm going from iPhone into eq215ix, then into rest of system. Gains are set a bit higher than with a deck, but works well. The last click of volume on my 3G wasn't linear though. The iPhone 5 and my iPods are a lot more linear. Get yourself a subsonic server and the subsonic media streamer app, and carry all your music with you.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have a 2 channel line driver I am not using if you want it. tantrum black and in great shape. You can get bluetooth audio pieces for this in parts express.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

ttocs wrote:I have a 2 channel line driver I am not using if you want it. tantrum black and in great shape. You can get bluetooth audio pieces for this in parts express.

link?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I don't have a pic of it and I am sick at the hospital again unfortunatly. But its the black powder, has the power plug and the nylon feet if I remeber correctly. I just upgaded to a 2 channel for the mustang.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Let's talk when you get out of the hospital. Get well.
mrblack

Post by mrblack »

I'd used my iPhone 4S as the center of my system for quite some time, but some recommendations...

Don't bother using the headphone output, get an external DAC. If you do a little research you can get a dock that can double as a charger and end up with a much better external DAC that is easily convertible to work in your car. Before I traded my old car in I used the Pure I-20 as a DAC that connected with my processor digitally, which allowed me a bit perfect lossless signal from my iPhone to my system. God I miss my system... But anyways the analog outs on the Pure unit are also much better than the built in headphone output on any of Apples phones or iPods. I currently use the DAC in my new car with the aux input and the difference between it and the basic headphone output is obvious.
Sony ES CDX-C90, XDP-4000X, XM-2000R, Phoenix Gold M44, MS2250, Infinity Beta 8-5-1
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

cool relevant product (even made by aamp!)

http://ocarusa.com/specs.html
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Bfowler wrote:cool relevant product (even made by aamp!)

http://ocarusa.com/specs.html
I like it!!! Found this one as well.
http://www.iroconline.com/iRoc/index.html
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Cool idea. This would ensure you dont leave the house or work without your phone. I prefer the look of the Oxygen unit myself, and at only $169 at Sonic Electronics it seems like a good deal. I think since this is a new product,there may be some bugs or technical issues to work out. If this catches on, one of the bigger players like Alpine or Clarion might release something similar. I think i will wait until then to buy one. I have never been impressed by a no name H/U.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

LowandLoud wrote:Cool idea. This would ensure you dont leave the house or work without your phone. I prefer the look of the Oxygen unit myself, and at only $169 at Sonic Electronics it seems like a good deal. I think since this is a new product,there may be some bugs or technical issues to work out. If this catches on, one of the bigger players like Alpine or Clarion might release something similar. I think i will wait until then to buy one. I have never been impressed by a no name H/U.

LL
the oxygen one is not really a no name...although stinger isnt exactly a major head unit player
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Oh, i didnt realize Oxygen was Stinger. Still, i do not recall ever seeing a Stinger H/U. It s got to be better than a Freeway!

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

The Oxygen unit is definitely the one I would purchase but I can wait for all that gliches to be worked out. If someone can actually do this thing right with functional apps, it may spell the end of traditional head units... but that's a big if. I already like the Iphone display better than my current HU.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

LowandLoud wrote:Cool idea. This would ensure you dont leave the house or work without your phone. I prefer the look of the Oxygen unit myself, and at only $169 at Sonic Electronics it seems like a good deal. I think since this is a new product,there may be some bugs or technical issues to work out. If this catches on, one of the bigger players like Alpine or Clarion might release something similar. I think i will wait until then to buy one. I have never been impressed by a no name H/U.

LL
Check out the one from Hi-Fi Sound connection for $159, you can save $755 if you by from them!!! :lol: