Trying to figure out the best signal path

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
LowandLoud

Trying to figure out the best signal path

Post by LowandLoud »

Hello all, i hope you have had a great New Years. I am just getting over the flu myself.

So i have an opportunity to pick up a white EQ230 and am wondering if i even really need it?

So far i have a Clarion DRZ-9255, a PLD1 which i may use to boost the voltage, before turning it down before the amps. I also have a TBA1 set with the balanced output cable. This is why i am contemplating the EQ230 because it has the same balanced input. I guess i am asking if the TBA1 does the same job as the PLD1, making it redundant to include them both?

I also have an MX3i crossover, and since the EQ230 only has the 1 output, the MX3i should logically go after the EQ. I plan on running a Rt 66 for my highs, so there would be 2 inputs needed. That is not a problem but i wonder about the EQ being effective since the EQ'd signal would be split after the fact. Would i have to use Y splitters on the RCA's to keep the signal a dedicated L &R?

Or would it be easier to just purchase an EQ215x or similar and forget about the balanced cable?

Sorry for so many questions but there are so many variables. This will be by far my most sophisticated system and just wanted to get some opinions from the experts. Thanks,

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Trying to figure out the best signal path

Post by Eric D »

Splitting the signal after the EQ is normal, and there is no reason not to do it.

Head Unit > Line Driver > EQ > Crossover > Amplifiers is how everyone does it and has for years.

You might not be able to make use of the MX3i though with the Route 66 as the Route 66 only has 4-channels of input.

Your best bet may be to draw some diagram as to what you exactly had in mind, and then others can comment on it.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

pretty sure the TBA takes care of any signal boosting needed but its been for ever since I messed with one.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Ok, i will try messing around with a program and see if i can come up with a diagram.

Good point about the 66 only having 4 input channels. I am also planning on using 2 M100s for sub duty so i could split the other output from the MX3i. My issue with that is i plan on using 2 different size subs so the crossover points will be different. For this i am assuming i should pick up another crossover. There is an MX2 on Kijiji right now, hmmm.

Thanks for the help guys.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

So the more i think about it, the more i think im am kinda screwed. I really wanted to use the 66 as a centrepiece but the fact it only has 4 input channels and doesnt work ideally with my current Xover is a real bummer. I do have an M44 and an M25 to use but it just doesnt have the same presence. I am planning on a 5 1/4" component set with a 6.5" woofer in the door. Hence the ability to use the H/L/BP capabilities of the MX3i.

Still working on the drawing of the layout.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

a roadster66 has the inputs you need........... Might have a cherry one and some matching rsd amps if your interested.

crap.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

It took a while and i haved changed it around 4 times but here is what i have so far. I have decided against the mixed sub sizes, partly because there are no 15" Xmax for sale locally and partly because the 4x 12" box in the truck currently fits REALLY well. I will change up the top and try to get everything to fit and look good.

Let me know your thoughts and/or ideas. Thanks guys.

Current box/ amp setup

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Run one bass cube, split signal after...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was curious about that myself.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

You don't need the Tbat receiver, as the EQ230 has this built in.

So...

Clarion Head Unit > Tbat transmitter > EQ230 > BassCUBE > MX3i > Amplifiers

The two high pass outputs of the MX3i can go to the Route 66. The Sub output of the MX3i needs to be split with "Y" cables to the pair of M100 amplifiers. With this whole setup you can use the BassCUBE remote to boost the bass, and you can also use the LPL from the MX3i to adjust the bass level.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Ok, i currently do not have an EQ. One was supposed to be shipped to me but the guy flaked and changed his mind. Also lost an auction on sat. night for another. They were both 215i's. It seems that is all i can find. I am a little cramped for space and not sure the dimensions of a 230 or 232. A rough, scale draft of my planned layout is posted below.

My plan was to use the Tba1 just for the run of balanced cable. However minimal the gain would be. I know the M series do not need the extra input voltage.

The 2 cubes because, well, i have them and they match, lol. Also the original plan called for mixed sub sizes but that is now nixed.

So you think i will get the same output from one cube as i would from 2? My thinking was that there would be several tiers of extra bass when needed or wanted.

Also, if i split the BP signal out of the MX3i, i lose sub control from the deck. I kind of like that feature so i am thinking maybe i should be on the lookout for an MX2 to match?

Thank you guys for the input and ideas, it is greatly appreciated.

Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I am not sure why the 2nd diagram posted so small :idiot:

The outer box represents the king cab of my truck and will be on approx. 30 degree angle toward the front.

The 66 will need to sit raised up a few inches with the 100's slightly underneath for it all to work in this space.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am not trying to be offensive with this post, but I can think of no other way to put it...

If you do not understand why you should not be using two BassCUBEs and instead only be using one, I don't think you should be using ANY BassCUBEs at all, as you are just inviting problems for yourself...
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

the route 66 is a great amp, but forget about running it full active......unless you modd it......

keep the second basscube for another project.......

If the Xmax 12 inch are V1 models, i would not run two of them brigded at 2 ohms...........

if you pound them very hard, they can damage the amp.....i would run a Xmax V1 model

one on each M100 at 4 ohms brigded....... If they are V2 models, no problem.......go at 2 ohms brigded.....

PG reduced the inductance of the coil in the V2 model for this reason.....
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I have discovered that i cannot run the 66 full active as i had planned. I have basically planned the whole install around it though, so i will go ahead and use it. If i find it isnt giving me what i need, i have a nice M44 and M25 i can put in its place. Hate to do it though.

How can i tell a V1 from a V2? Are there any markings or serial #'s on them to identify?

The Xmax i have are in a plexi fronted bandpass box and have been their entire life. I will not be using this box but it was easier to transport and keeps them safe for the time being. Im guessing i cant tell from the cone?

Thank you Zeropoint, for your knowledge, suggestions AND explanation.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

LowandLoud wrote:I have discovered that i cannot run the 66 full active as i had planned. I have basically planned the whole install around it though, so i will go ahead and use it. If i find it isnt giving me what i need, i have a nice M44 and M25 i can put in its place. Hate to do it though.

How can i tell a V1 from a V2? Are there any markings or serial #'s on them to identify?

The Xmax i have are in a plexi fronted bandpass box and have been their entire life. I will not be using this box but it was easier to transport and keeps them safe for the time being. Im guessing i cant tell from the cone?

Thank you Zeropoint, for your knowledge, suggestions AND explanation.

LL
yes put the m44 and m25 in it's place.... problem solved.......

for the V1 vs V2 difference, i can see it at the magnet and at the rubber surround.... and the impedance.....

check with a dmm , when there not connected on a amp. for the 12 inch, a V1 model wil be about 3.9 ohm,

the V2 model will be about 3.3 ohm. if you got pics, i can tell directly, normally.......

I suggest personally, use 2 subs , each on an amp, in a perfect vented box, and you will have plenty of bass

enough, especially with a basscube on it..... Or are you building an spl system ? i don't think so.......

and please put a second deep cycle battery in the rear, combined with both caps..... the red top optima will not be enough.....

for the bass cube, i would but it between the output of the lowpass of the mx3i, and the sub amp(s)......

if you put it before the mx3i, once you open the gain of the basscube, you will hear the static(or pink noise) true the tweeters.....

try out and see.......