Updating stock radio???

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
tipracer

Updating stock radio???

Post by tipracer »

I'm talking about gutting or beefing up a stock radio, Unfortunately my car has an integrated head unit, that is my radio also has other car related controls built into it....so does anybody know if it is pssible to make a great deck out of this by possibly upgrading parts??? I know I know it might not be worth it but before I go screwing around I want to know my options, it just looks so clean stock...On the same note, of the cleensweeps/fosgates which one is better and why?, bear in mind that I want to utilize a z1.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

they make kits for most cars that replace the heater and other controls in the pannel while letting you swap in an aftermarket deck.

what car?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

03 accord, no way am I going to use that metra pos...I think I might just be screwed, I'll talk wth C and see if he has any esoteric sugestions..
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Cleansweep's work pretty well. I have a friend that has one. Although I have not used one myself....he's a "Master Installer" for one of the car toys in my area. He's a good installer. And loves his...if that helps you any. I dont know anything about the Fosgate one.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I suppose you could put an aftermarket stereo inside of the stocker....

:lol:

It'd take a lot of work, but I can see how it would be possible...
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Wakeup wrote:Cleansweep's work pretty well. I have a friend that has one. Although I have not used one myself....he's a "Master Installer" for one of the car toys in my area. He's a good installer. And loves his...if that helps you any. I dont know anything about the Fosgate one.
Agreed.. The cleansweep works pretty well. We did several installs with them when tweeter was still in business :lol:
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

When you say you want to utilize a Z1 do you mean the Pioneer Navi?

What about PG's SLD44?
Greg Kitching
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

if your factroy deck doesnt shape or eq the sound somehow (i mean beyond your control) the cleansweep is a little overkill.

the sld, or even just a navorone LOC would probibly do just as well
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

naw, the denon z1(might do a p1 setup not really sure)
edit....I guess what i'm asking is if anybody has experience putting a bad as head unit in a stock install(I want to keep all the functionality of the stock display while having the stock radio "talk" to the bad ass deck), i.e. all the buttons on the steering wheel work and the buttons and display work with the hvac controls,(i know out board add on will/might do this with regards to the wheel controls), but what I really need is to display the info coming from the aftermarket deck, just wondering if anybody has ever really looked at the insides of a 03 factory honda deck, and if it is possible to either make it sound as good as a a competition level deck or if i have oto engineer a solution for the aftermarket deck to work inside the factory deck.
Doc , C feel free to chime in anytime....
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Unfortunately Doc and C arent hanging around the forums here anymore....sorry.
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

i kinda noticed that whered they go?
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

you can still find cecil at www.diyaudio.com he's active over there.

Great forum...lots of knowledgeable people there for this type of stuff. 8)

I just don't think it would be worth the time/money to upgrade the internals....mainly the time....

Probably better off just using an adapter.