Cleaning & Reconditioning ZPA's?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
SkierMan

Cleaning & Reconditioning ZPA's?

Post by SkierMan »

Received a ZPA 0.5 and 0.3 today

I am looking for a new plexi for the 0.5, and have sourced the 0.3 from PG, anyone have any leads?

Internally they look fine except there is a good amount of dust in the fan pick ups and heatsinks. I dont know how long they have been without use but I am curious if they are in good health so to speak cause I think they were stored in a garage for a few years.

Also, is it possible to clean them up and repaint them to look how they would fresh from the factory?

Are there any tips on how to take these apart safely? :?: :?:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Don't do it unless yer fully confident that you can...........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
SkierMan

Post by SkierMan »

I am confident on removing covers etc for some careful cleaning. Just looking for any tips from someone that has done it to make it a little easier. Disassembling for paint and restoration is what I am not sure about.
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

fairly straight foward to dissasemble. If you just got them and they have never been recapped ...DO IT RIGHT AWAY!!! Repainting can go both ways if you want to do a frank job that would be cool other than that gloss white or factory black. If the finish is in OK condition leave it and just be carefull as you clean the dust off.
SkierMan

Post by SkierMan »

What does the frank job look like? I don't want white for sure. Where do I get the new caps, I've read about doing it just didn't look too far into buying the caps.
PassatBloke

Post by PassatBloke »

My Frank Job with custom plexi

Alpine 9887 > Audiocontrol 6xs
PPI PCX-2200 --> Ti9 Elite mids (50-200hz)
PG M44 --> Dynaudio MD100 (4k+)
PG M44 --> CDT HD4 (200-4khz)
Voodoo V1600.1 --> DD9012
e-dub

Post by e-dub »

beautiful!

eric b
www.shadowlawrecordings.com
www.fullforcerecs.com
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

that is fantastic!!!, but the Frank was a reference to the franckampnsteins...purple/black pearl with nice piece of plexi w/sticker....
since the ZPA's already had a nice window just the color needs to be changed....some of the guys here can give you the paint color code and where to get it. would be very different from the norm!!
mmmadog

Taking them apart

Post by mmmadog »

I had to take mine apart to clean some gunk in the heatsinks. There a little more involved than your average amp but can be done. Make sure you use the correct size screwdrivers. The screws are a very soft metal and nothing looks worse than an amp with the screw heads all buggered up. I use a soft brissle paint brush the kind you would paint the trim of your house with to get rid of the dust. Also make sure nothing falls into the amp. Something very tiny could ruin your day. Take your time. You will be glad you cleaned them.............Matthew
SkierMan

Post by SkierMan »

Thanks for the tips, I cleaned the insides up :)
evo9

Post by evo9 »

Any black wrinkle finish spray paint will work. You will find it at your local auto part store or walmart.