A long way of some oldschool MS2125

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
DDS

A long way of some oldschool MS2125

Post by DDS »

Hi guys; I'd like to share my emotions and tell you my story of becoming an MS2125 owner. It was a long way for this great amp to become mine.
First, I must tell you I am from Russia. You know, it is very hard to find and then buy a good MS2125 here. But I shall start from the beginning.
Five months ago I have started looking for an amp for my subwoofer. I have already had a system with one 2-channel Sinfoni amplifier, and two-way AudioDevelopment MM speaker system.

At first, I wanted to buy a new amp, but, after having conversations with experienced members of Russian car-audio phorums, I was advised to test some oldschool American amps. Listening to a system with MS2125TA was deeply impressed. The amp I have (Sinfoni 90.2) sounds beautiful, especially at mid and high frequencies, but it has some trouble with bass reproduction; I realized it clearly after testing of MS2125.
After the testing, I decided to use a separate amplifier for the midbass speakers. And to buy MS2125 for my midbass first, leaving my system without a subwoofer for some more time. I began to gather info about MS-series. Some Russian car-audio enthusiast directed me to the PG phorum. Here I have found answers for all my questions; reading different topics have fastened an idea to buy MS2125 in my mind.

I began to look for MS2125 on the E-bay to buy one. But, having no deal with this auction before, no good have come of this idea.
Then guys from Russian car-audio forums named me a person (from Russia also), who delivers rare amps from USA. I contacted him, and he put me into a waiting list for buying the amp.
Also I decided to address to PG phorum members. I started searching for topics related to MS2125, and found out that Nico Boom sells different oldschool PG amps sometimes. I checked his seller rating displayed on the phorum; there were only good reviews. I PM'ed Nico; he was able to deliver me a RESTORED OLDSCHOOL MS2125! During our conversations, I was asking Nico so many questions; and he answered patiently every one of them. He was not only selling, but collecting and carefully restoring [replacing every single part needed replacement] really oldschool rare PG amps. When restored, an oldschool amplifier is ready for about 15 years of continuous work. Thus, everything about his amp suited my needs, including the price. We had only to decide about the shipping. Now the trouble began.
Worrying about the amp's safeness during its shipping, Nico agreed to ship it by a courier service only. But the price for such shipping was too high, just much more than the one of the amp. Then I asked Nico to deliver the amp by means of his country's postal service. Finally he agreed. But…
Nico was checking on shipping several times. He found out that the Dutch post service is not able to ship a cargo to my city. It could only ship to "White Russia". It was a very vexatious deny, considering that we were agreed on deal.

Later I applied again to the Russian deliverer of American amps. He offered me MS2125; but I found out the amp to be mine is in no good condition. Again, another deny…
Then Nico replied me; he said he will try to find a way to ship the amp to me again. At that moment I thought we could ship a cargo to Moscow (it is the capital of Russia; there must be shipping to Moscow anyway), and then my friends will ship the amp to my city. I suggested Nico to perform shipping this way. Nico agreed and promised me to check this out. But!!!
He had just the same answer from the Dutch post. No Moscow! It only ships to "White-" Russia with the capital Minsk. :(
I must explain something. I live in Russia; the official name of my country is the Russian Federation. I had no clue what White Russia is. I supposed it to be the area in my country, where the Dutch post could ship a parcel to.
But it was impossible! Russian post service can ship a parcel to ANY Dutch city; and Dutch post service cannot ship it even to the capital of Russia… :shock:
In fact, Minsk is the capital of Belarus. Further more, Belarus and Russian Federation are different countries. Then I have got it! "Bela Rus" is White Russia, translating from Belarussian. There, in Holland, they made a mistake; they mixed up the countries! They were looking for my city, as far as Moscow, in Belarus instead of looking for it in Russia! :shock:
I explained Nico everything; he contacted Dutch post again. After Nico returned he said that IT IS POSSIBLE to ship the amp to my city! And the price for shipping was very acceptable. :D
At last, everything became clear!

Nico offered me a rare MS2125 with rev. B board, famous for its selected components. That was the excellent offer. While waiting for some spare parts from USA to arrive, we were continuing our dialogs via e-mail. Nico told me about operations he is usually performing while restoring MS amplifiers. He answered PLENTY of my technical questions; also he cleared some restoring nuances with me. During the restoration, he was sending me a lot of pictures of the process, taking me through all steps of his work. Also Nico contacted other people, living in different countries, in order to get answers for all my questions. Besides, I asked Nico to perform some additional restoring operations; and he made it.

Finally, the amplifier to be mine was ready. But we haven't gone through all the hardships yet.
Our deal has almost been canceled. It happened because of some misunderstanding appeared. I asked Nico excessive questions about the amp's quality; but before it he has sent me info about passing the amplifier all the tests; he told me that it is the excellent amp, it is 100% OK. But I didn't notice his report. It all looked like I don't trust Nico. But fortunately everything turned out well.

By that time, we had only to arrange payment and shipping nuances. We agreed that I will pay Nico by means of the bank-transfer. I made the payment, and… another problem! Payment has arrived quickly, but it was 20 Euros less. Instead of the information, given me by my banker, there were additional taxes for the money transfer there, at the Dutch side. So I had to pay Nico once more, paying the money transfer expenses on both sides twice.
At last, all the money arrived, and the heavily packed amp was shipped off from Holland. I've been waiting for my amp four long weeks; Nico was just as much impatient as I did.
And finally, I received the package!!! It was a wonderful day for me! I was so happy, receiving a very heavy package at my post office. :D :D :D

I must tell you, Nico has provided an extraordinary safeness of the package [its weight is 18,5 kg!!!]. First, he has made a special wooden crate. He placed the amp inside it and screwed it to the crate through the mounting holes. The amp was in a rigid sealed crate, screwed to it firmly. He did it in order for the amp not to be damaged inside the package, if the package will hit the ground. A similar trouble has happened to one of the phorum members, while shipping his amp. Then Nico placed the crate, surrounded by a 70 mm thick compressible board, inside a cardboard box, and then packed it. Nico did his best, providing safeness of the amp.
If world war 3 does not break out, this amp must reach you in perfect shape, said Nico. :D But I suppose, the amp such heavily packed could be damaged by a missile's direct hit only. Of course, my amplifier reached me in a perfect state. :)

It took 30 minutes for me to get the amp form its package! And finally, I took the amplifier in my hands!!! Restored, cleaned, tested, with new capacitors, silpads on its rev. B board, and some other new parts that needed replacing, it was ready to satisfy his owner for years to come.
My MS2125 is just perfect! It looks like brand new amp! With its shining board, fresh-painted heat-sink, new plexi it is like new amp. And with its oldschool selected components it is better than a new one. :D

Finally, in spite of the consequence of difficulties, I became the owner of the rare, unique hi-quality amplifier, an engineering peace of art, thanks for Nico.
I want to thank Nico again for all his efforts. Four months ago he could just say no, and I wouldn't be an owner of such a rare amp. But instead of doing this, he went through many hardships for a person he didn't even know... He really did his best! I am grateful to him for all he did. Nico, you are a special man! :)

In conclusion, I should like to thank people, who created this phorum; there's no limits for PG fans. This is a really international phorum!
I am sure our memorable deal could be a great example of international car-audio fans cooperation. 8)
Attachments
Amp in its nest inside the crate))
Amp in its nest inside the crate))
Resize of DSC00187.JPG (83.09 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
The crate unpacked
The crate unpacked
Resize of DSC00182.JPG (67.57 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
Opened packaged with the sealed crate appeared
Opened packaged with the sealed crate appeared
Resize of DSC00176.JPG (84.91 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
Opening the package
Opening the package
Resize of DSC00175.JPG (96.04 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
The package is in the trunk of my Mitsubishi Lancer; there is not so much free space left in the trunk after placing there a package
The package is in the trunk of my Mitsubishi Lancer; there is not so much free space left in the trunk after placing there a package
Resize of DSC00154.JPG (92.78 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nico is my hero! 8)

What a package!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am very glad it finally worked out for you in the end. I hope you enjoy your amplifier for many years to come!
DDS

Post by DDS »

more pics
Attachments
Amp inside
Amp inside
Resize of DSC00208.JPG (98.72 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
The amp and its package. Notice the dimensions difference!
The amp and its package. Notice the dimensions difference!
Resize of DSC00228.JPG (114.02 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Screwed to the crate through the thick piece of cotton in order for the amp not to be scratched
Screwed to the crate through the thick piece of cotton in order for the amp not to be scratched
Resize of DSC00192.JPG (82.57 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Resize of DSC00191.JPG
Resize of DSC00191.JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Very cool story.

Another reason why this phorum rules!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

i concur with fuzzy!!!!!!!!! enjoy your amp man
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

welcome to phorum, you will like it here

nico is an outstanding person to deal with, i had help from nico and tom on this forum to get my amps to hawaii..

i still owe u both something for the hard work,

excellent packing nico..

its sad that in this day and age that there is still so much humbug to ship between countries..sheez its the 21st century...

good luck and enjoy the amp.

you will like it..
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

"there's no limits for PG fans"

Funny you should say that, No Limits used to be PG's tag line for advertisments... :lol:

Congrats on the new amp, that thing is beautiful!
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
marko

Post by marko »

awsome story!!

what is that small modification for on the middle component between the outputs? i don't think my mine have that :idea:
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

Dmitry, Welcome home!!!! And HUGE props to Nico, you are tha man!!!
Dmitry you have in your hands a very formidable amplifier that will give you many years of faithful sound reproduction, You have to post pics of your instal when it is finished!!
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

...And again I am amazed how well you write English Dmitry... 8)
Nicely told how we got together, and how we both went "the extra mile" to make this happen.
This was indeed the most memorable MS-job I did so far, and seeing you so happy with it ,makes it worth every step of the [long] way!
Thank you for sharing it with "our PG-family"here. :D
marko wrote:awsome story!!

what is that small modification for on the middle component between the outputs? i don't think my mine have that :idea:
Marko; I asked Cecil about it; it's a typical B-BOARD modification, since some early boards missed some tracks, and/or had incomplete cicuit-layouts, forcing the engineers to create " handmade solutions" to compensate for the missing links... HANDMADE AMP FOR SURE :lol:
Nico
DDS

Post by DDS »

Thanks everyone for your congratulations!
As for the advertisment, I really didn't know about it. But there is no limits, no doubt! :lol:
As soon as my install is over, I will post its pictures. Hope it will be finished in August.
Good luck!
DDS

Post by DDS »

And some more pics, to show the outstanding amplifier's condition.
Attachments
Resize of DSC00225.JPG
Resize of DSC00225.JPG (114.34 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Resize of SP_A0451.jpg
Resize of SP_A0451.jpg (85.28 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Resize of SP_A0454.jpg
Resize of SP_A0454.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Resize of DSC00224.JPG
Resize of DSC00224.JPG (150.12 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Resize of SP_A0449.jpg
Resize of SP_A0449.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 4323 times