SANTA CAME EARLY - MQ430 Arrived

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

SANTA CAME EARLY - MQ430 Arrived

Post by mhyde71 »

Look what I found!!! Looks good, but has an area that is suspect... maybe some input from someone that is savvy...
History: Bought from the technical director @ Sinfoni (name escapes me right now, his business card in on my bullentin board at the shop).. but amp was as advertised.. but have a few questions. I would ask him, but there is a language barrier, plus.. might be good for an objective POV.

#1) The switching torrid looks loose on a few wraps/turns/rounds... should that be a concern?? IOW It looks as though the torrid might have been re-done, replaced or repaired to some degree. See solder points on board??
#2) Couple/few outputs in the corner, have definitely been repaird/replaced, (and allen set screw lost... no biggie, I think i might have extra allen "sets" around), but the solder job looks a little suspect, should I take time to clean it up?
#3) some resistors look like they got a little too warm on an occassion or two?? and some smaller caps as well.. what might this be a sign of?? someone trying to drive it @ 1 ohm or something??
#4) Picture #4 shows two tall thingy's?? what are they? Are they Factory? Perhaps on certain revision? I ask becasue (granted the only other pic I can find is Ampguts & JOMA's), but in that MQ430 (on Ampguts) these pieces do not exist. Maybe an upgrade?? maybe a revision?? what say you??

Bottom line: I am pleased.. dont get me wrong... it passed the bench with flying colors and is in GREAT Cosemtic Condition. Just wondering if there might be something I should be giving attention to as a premptive measure or proactive measure?? to keep this for a long long time given the suspect areas of the amp??

But she is a beauty, always wanted one, and now I got'er... going to add her to the family of MS1K and Outlaw.

More MQ430 Pic's to come..JOM
Attachments
IMG_6182.JPG
IMG_6182.JPG (221.45 KiB) Viewed 8178 times
IMG_6178.JPG
IMG_6178.JPG (195.94 KiB) Viewed 8178 times
IMG_6177.JPG
IMG_6177.JPG (223.61 KiB) Viewed 8178 times
IMG_6169.JPG
IMG_6169.JPG (216.12 KiB) Viewed 8178 times
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG (191.06 KiB) Viewed 8178 times
Last edited by mhyde71 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

More Pic's,
Attachments
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG (179.52 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
IMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6154.JPG (189.93 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
IMG_6156.JPG
IMG_6156.JPG (208.87 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG (180.47 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
IMG_6157.JPG
IMG_6157.JPG (169.54 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

last set o'pic's...
Attachments
IMG_6165.JPG
IMG_6165.JPG (212.98 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
IMG_6196.JPG
IMG_6196.JPG (196.86 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
IMG_6199.JPG
IMG_6199.JPG (187.12 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
IMG_6150.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG (171.78 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

The black stuff on those resistors is soot from the blown transistors that have obviously been replaced as they pulled the pads taking them out.

Those resistors/caps are most likely still ok, it's just cosmetic...but they are cheap to replace and it's just cheap not too replace them... :?

Toroid doesn't look like anything to be concerned about, and I doubt it was rewound judging by the other work done to it.

Bottom line, an amateur took a stab at repairing amplifiers. :lol:
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

I want a few of these... how come there are never any for sale? There are a shit ton of MS275s, but no 430s... BOOOOOOO. Where did all these amps go? One would think the 4 channels would have had easier lives running components. :cry:

Nice find Matt! I still got mine "attached" to my MS2125... probably be the only one I can ever find. :(
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Thumper88 wrote:The black stuff on those resistors is soot from the blown transistors that have obviously been replaced as they pulled the pads taking them out.

Those resistors/caps are most likely still ok, it's just cosmetic...but they are cheap to replace and it's just cheap not too replace them... :?

Toroid doesn't look like anything to be concerned about, and I doubt it was rewound judging by the other work done to it.

Bottom line, an amateur took a stab at repairing amplifiers. :lol:
cool, sounds good.. kinda I mean well for the most part then. Kinda funny that it came from the technical director @ sinfoni.. hope it wasn't one of his boys over there that did/try the repai(s)... it's conceivable that he got it that way.. I dont know... but pumped I got one, and working one at that.. cosmetically it looks good. I think I will call upon PG to shoot me the cap/resistors needed to pull those out and do remove/rep[lace myself.. I dare say the the soldering job that was done on it so far looks pretty rough, i could do better than that I can assure you...
mh
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

STROKD wrote:I want a few of these... how come there are never any for sale? There are a shit ton of MS275s, but no 430s... BOOOOOOO. Where did all these amps go? One would think the 4 channels would have had easier lives running components. :cry:

Nice find Matt! I still got mine "attached" to my MS2125... probably be the only one I can ever find. :(
thanx bub! Yeah they really didnt make so many of these at all.. that's why the hard time to come across them, and who does have them prob dont wanna see them/it go on top of that... I wonder how many they made all together though.. But I know it wasnt many (in the scheme of things of course).
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

mhyde71 wrote:
STROKD wrote:I want a few of these... how come there are never any for sale? There are a shit ton of MS275s, but no 430s... BOOOOOOO. Where did all these amps go? One would think the 4 channels would have had easier lives running components. :cry:

thanx bub! Yeah they really didnt make so many of these at all.. that's why the hard time to come across them, and who does have them prob dont wanna see them/it go on top of that... I wonder how many they made all together though.. But I know it wasnt many (in the scheme of things of course).
yea I dont think I've ever seen one for sale come to think of it! 2 of those running fully active front and rear would be bad ass! Those amps have a lot of juice... Mine is rated 48x4 at 12 volts... its like 60 something at 13.8. :lol: Not bad for such a little amp and the THD is low as all the MS amps were. When the FAS goes back in a car I am running all the front tweeters with the 430... :D
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

Can u let me know how this amp sounds? I am interested in seeing how well it performs. I wonder how it will compare to the other amps we have. I think it is gunna be SQ champ. Usually the little power (aka 30 x 4) are underrated and I wanna know what this guy can do.
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Very rare piece. Nice scoop for you.

I have not seen an MQ-430 for sale ANYWHERE for at least 4 years.

I run one inside a FAS and wanted another to drive an active rear stage.

Do you want pix of it for comparison? Just ask and ye shall receive...

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

HoseHead wrote:Very rare piece. Nice scoop for you.

HH
yeah kinda would in fact dat would be cool!! I am still curious to know what the two tall thingy's are in center of the board. I look on amp guts (JOMA's submission), and I do not seethose in that piece... curious to know what they are, if in others, etc...

Pls thx
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

mhyde71 wrote:
HoseHead wrote:Very rare piece. Nice scoop for you.

HH
yeah kinda would in fact dat would be cool!! I am still curious to know what the two tall thingy's are in center of the board. I look on amp guts (JOMA's submission), and I do not seethose in that piece... curious to know what they are, if in others, etc...

Pls thx
They are just replacement transistors...the person that repaired it probably had em on hand and decided to use them instead of the OEM part. Or the OEM part is hard to find...

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Pho ... nside3.jpg

http://phoenixphorum.com/files/img_6178_721.jpg

You can see the original has small TO-92 transistors where as your amp has the larger TO-220 transistors there.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/E ... rcases.htm

If it works it works.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

ah ha.. I see.. hey thanks Thumper.. I appreicate it!

m
yesterdaysyouth

Post by yesterdaysyouth »

I've had 2 430's in the past both had loose wires on the torroids... looks like you have a lifted pad where the power supply fet's were replaced, but the pads aren't on the contact side of the board so it doesn't matter anyway...

all of the 430's i've seen look like they were slapped together by a five year old compared to all the other ms series amps, i guess they just didn't make many and never even had a second revision...

i say if it works, don't mess with it... you'll likely snap off a screw in the heatsink or something silly that will make it a real PITA...

nice find!
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Hard to find?....
Not over here.
I've had several in the past, refurbished them and sold them again to people who liked them a lot.
Last one was for DidierPG in Belgium [One of the few people on earth to have ALL types of grey MS series; from the smallest to the largest.]
At the moment I'm working on a grey MS1000 for him.
Next MQ430 I can buy over here will be for one of you guys looking for one; LMK if you REALLY want one, and I'll buy the first one that showes up.
sorry for big pics; taken with my old camera.
Nice find there Matt; I'd CHANGE THE CAPS and make it as perfect as possible while having the board out; these amps deserve that... 8)
Attachments
Kopie van DSC01488.JPG
Kopie van DSC01488.JPG (269.99 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
Kopie van DSC01486.JPG
Kopie van DSC01486.JPG (265.96 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
weng

Post by weng »

Hey nico, if you can find one, I'd be the first on your list :D
denim

Post by denim »

I am jealous.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

O.K Weng; I'll look for one.
Nico
rolandk

Post by rolandk »

If the amp is working fine you could always run it as-is, but it might also be worthwhile sending it back to factory to get checked out. Here are a few observations:

As mentioned previously, the power supply FET's were replaced and whoever did it did a really sloppy job. The non-oem washers are a little scary and I wonder what kind of shape the insulators are in.

The four resistors in pic 6177 go from the output of the PWM IC (SG2525) to the gate lead of the power supply FET's. Looks like they were damaged and this can be an indication that the PWM IC is also damaged. If it were me I'd have replaced those resistors and the IC just to be on the safe side.

The 2 tall thingys are 15V regulators. Non-oem but should work fine.

Its always a good idea to replace the big power supply and input caps on an older amp like this.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Hi Roland and thank you for input... It's very appreciated, thank you!
I think i might be inclined to do that, as this is a "keeper" for me, well ast least for now. I might go ahead and do that, whence I have a lil extra cash...
question though...that maybe anyone could answer... Is a "going through" of an amp the same pricing schedule as the repair work pricing?? IOW/i.e. those flat rates we are familiar with when it comes to repair work?? I suspect that to be the case.. but I am uncertain.

Pls thx
matt
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

last time I talk with TRISTAN20/summer time he had one for sale but the end cap was changed to ms275 as the old one was damaged
if people are looking
sorry matt didn't want to steal your post!!!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Re: item

Post by mhyde71 »

mikelycka wrote:last time I talk with TRISTAN20/summer time he had one for sale but the end cap was changed to ms275 as the old one was damaged
if people are looking
sorry matt didn't want to steal your post!!!
nah, that's allright mike.. I think he eventually sold it though.. Have to check i guess.
kg1961
Got wood?

amp

Post by kg1961 »

nice find
what the hell are you going to power with only 30x4???
I'm still trying to find a way to pay for the outlaw!!!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

been a long time since I have seen one....These items are RARE...I am still keeping an eye out for the sister to the one I have now(I bought them when working at a PG dealer and they came with consecutive ser. numbers), she was stolen by an old roomate and since I have the oiginal bill of sale from PG I will be a happy camper to find the dick who has it now...BTW mine were white...take care of it as its a keeper mhyde.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

tipracer wrote:been a long time since I have seen one....These items are RARE...I am still keeping an eye out for the sister to the one I have now(I bought them when working at a PG dealer and they came with consecutive ser. numbers), she was stolen by an old roomate and since I have the oiginal bill of sale from PG I will be a happy camper to find the dick who has it now...BTW mine were white...take care of it as its a keeper mhyde.
WOW NO WAY WHITE 430's!!! never seen at all ever! Would love to see... I cant stand a Theif, Nothing's worse IYAM (if you ask me) !

NOTE TO ADMINSTRATOR: Thought just came to mind, wonder if we should start a registry of stolen amps w/ their serial numbers, so we honest folks can be mindfull/on lookout for one-another...

That would be good idea maybe just below the rare and LE thread or something??