Shipping speakers

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
GX3

Shipping speakers

Post by GX3 »

I need to ship speaker across the pond and haven't ever shipped speakers before. I don't have the OEM boxes that would be nice if i did. They are 8" MB drivers. I had them packed up but didn't like the way it felt so i unpacked them and need to repack them so there is no chance of damage.

My idea is to cut out some 1/2" MDF the same size of the box screw the speakers down to the board then load it up with bubble wrap......... what do you think ???
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

I usually just use 3 to 4 full rolls of bubble wrap and I've never has a complaint yet.....I pack whatever it is like a giant pillow

But your idea sounds good....it will just cost more to ship
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I have shipped them by screwing them both to one board face to face. And if I were going to ship them across the pond I would do it that way, then build a frame around that, then bubble wrap that, then box them up with a minimum of 3 inches of packing peanuts all around them.

But, that's just how I would do it. Sometimes I tend to over do it, but my stuff always arrives in the condition it left. :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

It wouldn't be cost effective to do that going over the pond.........

Buy a 14x14x12 and a 13.5x13.5x6 box. Cut the hols to fit the speakers in the top of the smaller box and affix the speakers in place. Put that box inside the larger box. Put a piece of cardboard over the speakers and pack the rest with bubble......... Werks every time......... :wink:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
bogart

Post by bogart »

I just shipped a btl in two cardboard boxes with a syrofoam from a 10 around the base and a whole box of bubbles and peanuts....then in second box...no issues and cheap to ship.....if a speaker is dropped in a wood frame it tends to stress the motor...had a 10 hz show up with a motor broken off in a wood frame...ever since it is boxes of foam and air...lots of both...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have shipped speakers in paires by using wire-ties to tie the two speakers together face-to-face with a nut in between them to prevent them from touching. The just gone nuts with bubble wrap.
neverman

Post by neverman »

You do NOT want to ship MDF pretty much EVER. You have some great ideas here to work with. They'll be fine.
95' M3
Alpine iDA-X305
iPod Classic (120GB ~10k songs)
PG TBAt2 line Driver
PG ZPX2 Active Crossover (x2 1ea.)
PG ZPA0.5 v2 (x2 Black)
Diamond Hex 6.5 (eton), silk tweeters (rear fill 5.25's @-8db)
Soundstream SS-10's (2) in a sealed box
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

wrap em in a few layers of bubble then chuck em into a box and peanuts around so they do not move and then cover and done. Don't fret too much over it
AKA Shaheenk
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Thanks guys ............ i dumped the MDF idea. I was wondering if it would cause an issue with transferring shock to the speakers. So i placed a thin sheet of cardboard between the speakers and zip tied them. Used bubble wrap around the speakers and then stuffed the box with as much bubble wrap as i could fit.