cyclone bearings....yeah they are bad

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bogart

Post by bogart »

we were talking about tinting them and doing logos on em....I swear Matt, it is like you read my mind and presto.,..you've got the goods
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

not sure i can help with tinting, but lemme know what I might could help out with.

ANd not really sure it can be fixed, b/c the paddle is completely off and well maybe, with the proper/right epoxy or something, but joerg said prolly not, and for me to use as I had bought it - for parts... if you can get it up and running, then that would be great! maybe, but would take some know-how for sure.

m
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
bogart

Post by bogart »

it looks to me as if the entire driver is assembled with the same green epoxy...have to be something with a cool flash point or the heat could melt the paddle....try two or three different types on different denisity foams to see what flashs hot enough to melt and test the bonds...there really isnt that much torque on the paddles themselves if they aren't driven to do distortion

let me get this one fixed and see what steve is going to do. I am going to head over to mcquire bearing co on monday as it is 6 blocks away and see what is what..may be able to get a bag of ceramic bearings and replace all of them throughout. I've got a bunch of traxxas and hpi bearings for rc cars and nothing fits both slots but some fit one or the other rim so it ought to be a common bearing that I can get easily enough. The trick is going to be the compressing the bearings with the fans on the pole without crushing the tube or popping a fin off, but I am sure that I can get it.

I can get the tint on all of em done locally pretty cheap and the logo is easy enough...would be pretty cool
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Chris...if you want Matt's thats cool...go pick it up!
I am working on the other one on the bay...and really I dont need a whole lot...The one on the bay has a cracked plexi....

You dont want a cracked plexi chris! :)
Anyway see how it goes...if you need my help with anything...let me know!

And again thanks Matt...I think Chris and I will be working with getting that clone off ya in a bit. Will llet ya know.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

So you are going to try the ceramic bearing idea ?
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Not sure yet on the ceramic bearing....Chris is after a bearing that will work currently....

Not sure what he has in his mind yet...but we'll see! :)
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Wakeup wrote:Not sure yet on the ceramic bearing....Chris is after a bearing that will work currently....

Not sure what he has in his mind yet...but we'll see! :)
I would call PG and ask them about pressing those bearings in...maybe they have a tip ?
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Chris has the tools I believe to do so...so we'll see....PG's not PG lately...

only less than or approximately two handfuls of employees left.

That being said....with the CURRENT SITUATION and PG's uncertainty, I am not sure who or what and if anyone could be of any help at this current moment...I'll talk to Chris and see what is going on a bit later and see what he thinks...we did plan to call...but after hearing about the SITUATION.....we decided that it'd be a mad house over there....
bogart

Post by bogart »

I tried to call and there was no answer...so,,,with that said, the bearing off the end of one of my bosch router bits is a dead ringer...I've got a press and limited access to a machine shop on the weekends...ought to be able to pull it off. I'll let you know what happens and if it works.

Matt, I'll let you know...give me a few days to sort it out
bogart

Post by bogart »

pg is outsourcing all repair work now .... so they are useless unless you want a ridiculous price quote.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

JLMK I am not aggressively trying to sell or anything... this is only place/thread it has been discussed. i figured i'd keep it, but if you guys need it/could use it to put install together- then might as well let it go to somethign like that. so it'll be here...

best i could offer is 150 + actual shipping, which might be even a lil over the estimated 25.00 shipping cost, but if it goes over i'll cap it at 25, if under then we'll just do it for that. does that make sense?
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
bogart

Post by bogart »

yep....thanks matt...I'll let you know
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

bogart wrote:I tried to call and there was no answer...so,,,with that said, the bearing off the end of one of my bosch router bits is a dead ringer...
I have a bosch set and was thinkin the same thing. I would think it would be ok in this application if it can put up with the speed of a router.
bogart

Post by bogart »

thats what i am thinking before i epoxy the tube back in i am gonna put it on a oscillator and check for more funny noise and if it is clean i will pull it apart and reseat it....so far it seems to be going together ok
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

So how's she sound now Chris?!
bogart

Post by bogart »

okay...heres the deal with the cyclones from what I've seen...which is;

I've broken the sub all the way down into peices and there are two bearings and a center hub that the alluminum tube which is the center of the upper assembly. the shaft that runs through the coil is afixed inside the front of the nose with allen heads. This shaft can easily be tapped out as the lower assembly is held together entirely with epoxy. once one side is out you can pull the other and you'll have access to the center rotor and the bearings within can be jetted out and lubed.

this cyclone had way too much varnish blown into it and it had ran thru the front through all of the bearing so all three were hurting. I was unable to try to pull the center bearings with my press so I just blew brake cleaner through it two or three times and then jetted out the residual fluid till dry. I used grim racing prop shaft high temp grease on the bearing and got it in as best as i was able. rolls smooth now with no noise.

I replaced the front and back bearings...the front is a Bosch router bit bearing and the back is an hpi savage inner drive shaft bearing...and grease them with the same.

Now here is the only issue...the brake cleaner pulled all of the outer shroud gaskets off...so I've got to figure that out...easy enough.

So I've run it without the gaskets fully assembled and shimmed at the top to mimick the gasket depth and she purrs like a kitten...I've got to pull it part of the way apart again to replace to foam as you can hear the air pulling thru the gaps when she is hummin pretty good. Honestly, I think I may do the same to the other now just to be safe...they are the cleanest sounding ones I've heard and I've heard a few...I don't think that any were running right now....these are so easy to work on that it is amazing...I'm willing to bet that I can fix most any issue with them unless the center hub is gone...and then I still may be able to do it...parts would be the issue there. A longer press with a better and longer c clip compressor then mine and it'll pull right out.

So, heres some more stuff you cyclone guys can do now when you do the cleaning. I am still going to see about the ceramic bearings and these two may well get em before they go in...even though they are good now

and steve...you are gonna shit my freind...it isn't doing any of that nonsense it was doing and is just as quite as the other and that is without any gaskets in it
Last edited by bogart on Mon May 11, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bogart

Post by bogart »

Yeah, before someone says it I should have taken pics...but I was absorbed and just a little :bong: so dropped the ball on that....

oh yeah...Steve, my rates for cyclone repair and rebuild are by the pound worth of goodies I get dibs on my freind....o whole lot of em :shock: :D
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

hehe...Sigh...YES SIR! :)
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

if you do the ceramic bearings.....Heat them up to install them. cool the shaft of the motor down and use a driver of somesort to push on the inner race of the ceramic bearing to install on the shaft at it's specific location. clean the motor really good before you try..
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Added work on Bearing replacement:
http://phoenixphorum.com/post110099.html#110099
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

Wakeup wrote: Fri May 08, 2009 5:34 pm Pictures here:

How do you separate the wing from the magnet to get to the bearings?
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

bogart wrote: Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am okay...heres the deal with the cyclones from what I've seen...which is;

I've broken the sub all the way down into peices and there are two bearings and a center hub that the alluminum tube which is the center of the upper assembly. the shaft that runs through the coil is afixed inside the front of the nose with allen heads. This shaft can easily be tapped out as the lower assembly is held together entirely with epoxy. once one side is out you can pull the other and you'll have access to the center rotor and the bearings within can be jetted out and lubed.

this cyclone had way too much varnish blown into it and it had ran thru the front through all of the bearing so all three were hurting. I was unable to try to pull the center bearings with my press so I just blew brake cleaner through it two or three times and then jetted out the residual fluid till dry. I used grim racing prop shaft high temp grease on the bearing and got it in as best as i was able. rolls smooth now with no noise.

I replaced the front and back bearings...the front is a Bosch router bit bearing and the back is an hpi savage inner drive shaft bearing...and grease them with the same.

Now here is the only issue...the brake cleaner pulled all of the outer shroud gaskets off...so I've got to figure that out...easy enough.

So I've run it without the gaskets fully assembled and shimmed at the top to mimick the gasket depth and she purrs like a kitten...I've got to pull it part of the way apart again to replace to foam as you can hear the air pulling thru the gaps when she is hummin pretty good. Honestly, I think I may do the same to the other now just to be safe...they are the cleanest sounding ones I've heard and I've heard a few...I don't think that any were running right now....these are so easy to work on that it is amazing...I'm willing to bet that I can fix most any issue with them unless the center hub is gone...and then I still may be able to do it...parts would be the issue there. A longer press with a better and longer c clip compressor then mine and it'll pull right out.

So, heres some more stuff you cyclone guys can do now when you do the cleaning. I am still going to see about the ceramic bearings and these two may well get em before they go in...even though they are good now

and steve...you are gonna shit my freind...it isn't doing any of that nonsense it was doing and is just as quite as the other and that is without any gaskets in it
How do you separate the wing from the lower body to get the bearings replaced?