Changing the ZX450v.2

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Changing the ZX450v.2

Post by dBincognito »

I've been slowly changing this amp since I got it......I'm going to start a thread to show it off as I go along.....I've already replace the LED's and the fan. I believe I will do the heatsink in a different color next. I will also be doing a full burr brown upgrade, replacing the caps, and a few other things as well.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

What are you looking to change :?: :?: :?:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Good hell that's bright!! I hope you don't plan on driving with that thing on!! :shock:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

It looks radioactive ...don't you think ?
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

1moreamp wrote:What are you looking to change :?: :?: :?:
The color, op amps, caps, anything I can really....I will make this my special ZX450 :D :D :D
Good hell that's bright!! I hope you don't plan on driving with that thing on!!
You don't see it in the trunk.....you only see it when you want to show it :wink: ....no FJ here....I can hide the light :lol:
It looks radioactive ...don't you think ?
2 match the dangerous sound :wink:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Yeah, sometimes I forget not everyone has an SUV, even though my good system is in my car! :oops: :oops:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You should replace the grill with a big pot leaf and paint it green :lol:

Mean green machine. :twisted:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

stipud wrote:You should replace the grill with a big pot leaf and paint it green :lol:

Mean green machine. :twisted:

I haven't decided on a color scheme yet......black on green...yellow on green.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

the alien green is badass!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

How are you going to repaint the graphics/info on the case? Mainly cause I am repainting my ZX450, so any help as to do that would be greatly appreciated.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Looking nice Bandy.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Misfire wrote:How are you going to repaint the graphics/info on the case? Mainly cause I am repainting my ZX450, so any help as to do that would be greatly appreciated.

I spoke with a local silk screen printing shop who said they could scan it and re-silk screen the words back on there when I was ready....in any color I want....it will not be cheap....but that's ok...this is a project amp now :D

First I will speak with matt 8)
Last edited by dBincognito on Fri May 22, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Bfowler wrote:the alien green is badass!
I also have a blue fan that matches this :wink:
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well I guess you can mount it upside down under the rear deck and you'd have a green light in the trunk..that led is SUPER bright!!!!!!!!!

I agree you should cut out the old grill,grind the hole out smooth,paint it incredible hulk green,re silk screen and get a radioactive symbol style grill on fleabay for like 3 bucks... :lol:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

freshkryp69 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well I guess you can mount it upside down under the rear deck and you'd have a green light in the trunk..that led is SUPER bright!!!!!!!!!

I agree you should cut out the old grill,grind the hole out smooth,paint it incredible hulk green,re silk screen and get a radioactive symbol style grill on fleabay for like 3 bucks... :lol:

I'm thinking the Incredible Hulk....Radioactive fan grill.....and I need some special artwork
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If you are doing everything else, you might as well redo the power supply as well. Better more powerful MOSFETs, and better rectifiers. Bigger rail caps, as the amp has physical space for much longer than stock units.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Eric D wrote:If you are doing everything else, you might as well redo the power supply as well. Better more powerful MOSFETs, and better rectifiers. Bigger rail caps, as the amp has physical space for much longer than stock units.
I was already planning the MOSFETS, what can I do with the rectifiers ?

These are the caps I was planning on using

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... e=P6678-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 93-1546-ND
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Take the ZX apart first. They may not be snap in. It has been a long time since I pulled a rail cap on a ZX, so I cannot remember.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Eric D wrote:Take the ZX apart first. They may not be snap in. It has been a long time since I pulled a rail cap on a ZX, so I cannot remember.
It soldered to a daughter board sideways.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Like this
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Pull the card and then the caps. I think they are snap in on the card.

Take your time, I think the vias on the main board for the card to insert into are fragile.
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Squeezing the boards out of that case is real fun. I just finished cleaning mine out. Its amazing what finds its way into your amps! Great thread... considering my amp is apart too and these are some great ideas!
Last edited by Misfire on Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Eric D wrote:Pull the card and then the caps. I think they are snap in on the card.

Take your time, I think the vias on the main board for the card to insert into are fragile.
Is it possible to raise the card at all....so I could go with bigger caps....22 is such a odd measurement
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If you want to make this some sort of "hard core" no limits amp, there are a ton of parts you might as well replace.

I am interested in what you do with this, as the ZX450 is probably my favorite amp. I think I have owned around 10 of them if you count those in Reactors and ZX950s as well.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

dBincognito wrote:
Eric D wrote:Pull the card and then the caps. I think they are snap in on the card.

Is it possible to raise the card at all....so I could go with bigger caps....22 is such a odd measurement
Keep in mind the crossover board would be in the way. You could dump the signal processing and make the amp just a simple gain only like with a MS. I personally like the ZX450 so much because of its x-over options.