A ZX200 or a MS275??

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
knightrider358

A ZX200 or a MS275??

Post by knightrider358 »

So I got my new RSdC124 in last week and have been thinking a little to much I was planning on useing my zx200 for it but now I was thinking should I use my MS275 for it. Im gonna run it @ 2ohms bridged on either amp w/ a 8-13v signal level. Now correct me if I'm wrong. But this is what PG says these are what these amps are rated @ 12V. ZX200 is 200Wx1@4ohms now they dont specify but that should be around 500W rms @ 2 ohms @ 14.4V right and the MS275 is 225Wx1@4ohms also not specified but that should eqate to 550Wx1 rms @ 2 ohms @ 14.4v right plus I would think the head room is allot better w the ms275 so I was now thinking to use the ms275 for my sub. what would be yalls suggestions also buying another amp would not be an option right now maybe in a month or two. thanx in advance again ol great ones. no I'm not patranizing yall jus being serious I envy some of yalls knowledge in this area.
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Flip a coin, both amps are great, and are similar power. The MS has a better power supply, but the ZX takes up less space and is more reliable.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Eric D wrote:Flip a coin, both amps are great, and are similar power. The MS has a better power supply, but the ZX takes up less space and is more reliable.
and it has a cooling fan :wink:
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

but ive ran my ms @ 2ohms w my old G5 and also a kicker zx300.1 (really junk) and w my zx and the zx sounds more solid in the bass notes and a little tighter but all 3 never got hot jus warm even when I drove 2 hrs to DC before

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

knightrider358 wrote:but ive ran my ms @ 2ohms w my old G5 and also a kicker zx300.1 (really junk) and w my zx and the zx sounds more solid in the bass notes and a little tighter but all 3 never got hot jus warm even when I drove 2 hrs to DC before

Thats' amazing.....I can get a MS amp cooking on my bench running nothing but a set of mids at 4 ohms. I guess I consider hot to be anything other than cool. :lol:
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

It might have been cause I was running a TLD-22 to its with a 4v signal into the TLD from the HU I know you know more than me but I do know from my experiences that the stronger the signal going into the amp the less it has to work and also I did have it mount with the badge plate facing up w/ it removed so the heat would jus rise right out of it and it wasnt in a trunk jus mount to the back of the back seat of my 4runner w/ the windows down so I guess that might help its effecienty 8) :twisted: :D

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

knightrider358 wrote:It might have been cause I was running a TLD-22 to its with a 4v signal into the TLD from the HU I know you know more than me but I do know from my experiences that the stronger the signal going into the amp the less it has to work and also I did have it mount with the badge plate facing up w/ it removed so the heat would jus rise right out of it and it wasnt in a trunk jus mount to the back of the back seat of my 4runner w/ the windows down so I guess that might help its effecienty 8) :twisted: :D
They do run much cooler top side up.....I play mine upside down so I can see the inside, I use a EQ320 on my bench...so I've got the line driver :wink:

Not being trapped in a trunk always helps....ever tried climbing in there and breathing for awhile :lol:

It's a hard choice choosing between the 2....I like both of those amps alot....if I HAD to choose...MS-275 @ 2 ohms
b/c I'm a MS nut :lol:
Last edited by dBincognito on Tue May 26, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scorpio86

Post by scorpio86 »

im sure it did. like everyone else, both are great amps... just experiment and see which one sounds better... cant go wrong there. how'd that g5 sound? ive been interested in them fora while.. but lack a vehicle to put one or more in.. lol 8)
Have no fear, only uncertainty!
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I must say so far It is the cleanest sub Ive had and heard in a ported box and the more power u sive it the cleaner and harder it plays plus if u damage the VC u can change out the inards of it for 80 bucks its a freakin huge mag on it also build the spec ported box that boston recomends and line the box w poly and it sounds twic as good as the new G3 and that new G555 thing they both sound like poo-poo jus imagane a alpine type-r but the balls to the walls sq version. only downside is if u pay new price its a little high also my had a tear in the surround I repaired and a hole on the cone I repaired but I LOVED IT :D

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
scorpio86

Post by scorpio86 »

so u like it better than the spg555?? cuz eventually id like (or thought id like.. ) one of those ina ported box off a zpa .5 in da hatch of a late 80's gta. i assumed they would sound excellent but still slam as with everything or most everything boston does, and as far as their high end, i agree they will take whatever u give 'em.. n jus play louder and harder than before... they are amazing too me. but ive never had their woofers, only highs.
Have no fear, only uncertainty!
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

like I said I have heard the 555's and they are loud jus not as clean as the G5 now my friend is a boston rep and he said boston discontinued the G5 cause they didnt sell allot cause they we're meant to be a "SQL" sub and today's market wants SPL subs and not SQ's or "SQL's" so the 555 is for more of the SPL needs but I promise u really try to find a dealer or people that have either and try to listen to both and ull say ull love the G5 for its best of both worlds if u prefer loud quality SQ also on ur hatch note the G5 sounds twice as good in an suv or a hatch due to the openess of the cab area its about -3db in a trunk'ed car

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA