wakeups truck ran 149.6 all set to iasca compitition setting

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bogart

wakeups truck ran 149.6 all set to iasca compitition setting

Post by bogart »

got it metered today...the peak of the box is at 40 thru 42.5hz so I cut it off at 35 and 50 and railed it....in the kick it ran 149.6 and metered on the dash facing the windshield it ran 146

so it seemed to be giving all she had to give...would be nice to hit 150 plus on a single 12....what do you guys think
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Awesome! Still very impressive!

Those kinda numbers still amaze me. I haven't played in the SPL world in a long time. We did back in the early/mid 90's when it was all done with music sources. Test tones and huge ported enclosures weren't even thought of yet. We were one of first, maybe ten, that broke the 150dB barrier. Hehe. It took 8 - 15"'s to do it! And we had 2 huge like 40" long amps (Lanzar Opti 50C) that together put out about 2K watts. And that was just totally insane back then.

Last summer I held a non-sanctioned SPL contest at a car show for a local car club. Some guy came threw with a beatass hatchback with a single 12 and 4 amps strapped to it and ripped off a 156! I was like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Made me think about how far the SPL world has come. Back in the day, critics swore it would be impossible to break 150dB. Then after it was reached, they said it would be impossible to reach 160dB. And of coarse 170 and now 180.. Funny, I don't hear anyone saying we won't hit 190 at some point. It really has become a science as opposed to how much shit someone can pack in a vehicle like it was back then.
Greg Kitching
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Was this with the Clones?
Boomshackalacka
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Wow.. That is impressive, Chris...

I think I will have you to calculate my boxes for my install!!! :wink:
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
bogart

Post by bogart »

Thanks fellas....I was just getting into car audio back in the era you are talking about....systems were just nuts. There is a raggedy little hole in the wall down in salem, audiosource that has always carried the swap meet louie brands...earthquake and legacy...but they had an earthquake van with 16 12s and I don't think it was running 150 back then but it was the shit back then.

Pedi, I would love to get my mitts on your truck and would be happy to give ya a hand when you start the build on your wagon thingy...even if it is just the paper side due to the distance. I just love to get into crazy ass installs...the stuff that nobody locally will touch seems to be the nitch I've gotten into....the local industry as far as shops go really just kind of sucks.

There are two shops worthy of mention here...pro sound and then in tualitin there is kingpin and they are both quite good at show quality and comp based installs but they are both spendy...prosound is building the mojo truck right now....but other then that it is all car toys and hack shops. uncertified guys doing shit wrong or just tossing in the mainstream crap to appease the folks who just don't know any better....

pro sound rocks and they are pretty cool to talk with and cut me some slack on cost, but for the most part it is the retail land of alpine f1 and zapco comp...some nice macintosh stuff over there and allumipro, when I get my ass to mobile dynamics and get certified that is where I hope to work...but ought to start thinking about a move to an area where installers don't starve...and as you fellas have seen I'm not much into the deck and four type installs....they bore me to work on. But I love music and equipment....

I am by trade a carpenter, but havn't done much since the economy tanked and the market dropped so I've been pimping all my friend rides and thinking about how much I don't want to get back into residential remodeling. Can build just about anything and there isn't to much I can't do with wood and have gotten fair with the glasswork...may well build a hardwood install in my car...she would be pretty with a ton of mahogony and suede ehhh...
bogart

Post by bogart »

the clones were shut down as were the highs....it is stock on the electircal side so every bit counts with power and cyclones don't run at real spl frequencies
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats awesome steave! 149 is impressive!

maybe some dynamat can push you over that 150 mark?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

? type of meter
?type of car
? type of sub
? type of box
? type of amps

pls cause i find this very very interesting
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Brenzy.....

Honda Element 2003 Stock alt, w/ single yellow top battery

Meter was an Audio Control....# 3055? I forget the exact part number...sl3055? I dunno...something to that extent. IASCA/UASC certified.

Sub was a DD9512g
Run off an autotek MM3000.1D

box...................pictures of it anyway are in the install section...I'll put a link up in a minute. But I'll let Chris explain his install work etc....

Cuz that is really not my realm...I am just a hobbyiest...and love to play! :)
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

http://phoenixphorum.com/wakeup-s-insta ... 10206.html

Link to pictures and Chris's explanations of the system/build.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Hey wakeup you only came .3dB's off from my original prediction....I told you the DD would do right around 150 :wink:
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

hehe! :) ya I am sure we could get a bit more out of her not sure how yet...but I think we can grab a real 150 out of it if we play with it a bit more.
bogart

Post by bogart »

the dd is in 2.68ft net tuned to 40 hz...the rta is an audiocontrol sa3055 with the high slp upgrade and is accurate to 180 and have both the high and low spl meters

I think that dynomat and screwing in all the loose body panels just may give us 150. Be nice if she was an 18...but then the box would have to be at least 3ft cu larger...and it would be another can of worms

I think steve may be bitten by the spl bug...so 18s may be in the next install....then we'll be shooting for the 16 target...just once in my life I want to build a system that will do 160....but then it will be 165....then scott owens title will be fair game :lol: 8)