What SQ sub DLSRW10 PGRSD12/10 HertzHX250 BostonG2 Alpine R

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
cosmicporcupine

What SQ sub DLSRW10 PGRSD12/10 HertzHX250 BostonG2 Alpine R

Post by cosmicporcupine »

Hi i am looking for a sub this is my first real attempt at sq install and is on a bit of a budget as i cant afford a system thats worth a years wages lol

The list of subs i have so far is

DLS RW10
PG RSD 12 or maybe a 10 (after a 10 ideally but does not seem to get as good a review)

Hertz high energy HX250

Boston G210

Alpine type R 10 inch

There where some other subs in this list like the IDQ 10 but i just cant get them in the uk.

Out of the subs above what are your thoughts would be best for SQ ?
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I know the type r is a spl sub but a better model line compared to the g2 Ive had both. well I had 2 type r 12's and they are more spl than sq but they are very clean only with allot of watts. Now the g2 would be as equal as the type s line and the newer g3's are equal to the type r's. Now Ive had to g2 10's hooked up to a crossfire vr804 amp bridged and they sounded allot better than I expected but also it made me actually go out a few months later and get a g5 which was freakin awsome but boston says the g5 is a sq/spl sub as with the g2, and g3, but no one bought G5's cause they were to pricey so they did the g3 as a replacement. Now Ive heard dls subs before and if Im correct they are more allong the lines of more sq than spl and they are pretty freakin good. you would wanna talk to gkitching he's installed dls before I believe he probally the goto with dls. I would also say the rsd are more on the g2 equal level line jus more on what brand ur in fav of. Im sure if u looked hard enough u could find somewhere or someone to ship the idq's over there now those are good sounding subs and ive never listened to hertz before but have had heard good things bout them. Now if any vets out there wanna chim in and correct me please do so. but remember GKitching would prob da man u wanna ask on the DLS's. Hope this helps a little. 8)
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

also if u get type r's get the newer line say from 05 and after the ones with the vented magnet w/ v-ribbed surround not a single roll surround those w/ the single roll and no vented mag run hot and dont have the excursion as with the newer model.

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
cosmicporcupine

hi thanks for the reply thats some really good feedback ive been struggling find any reviews on the g2 so is handy knowing its on par with the s type range.

In terms of the type R i was indeed looking at the newer ones they look to have a very strong construction like an x type . out of all the subs i have only got to hear the new 10 inch r type, it does go low and worked well with the boston components the guy was using could not really tell where the bass was coming from, but was trying see if i could get better sq for simaler cost sub .
cosmicporcupine

I can get the IDQ shipped over but what looks to be a reasonable price sub gets killed on price by shipping then inport tax . i think it works out £145 ish for the sub then £75 for the shipping then with inport tax on top rounds it up to about £270 at that cost i may as well look at getting a more expensive sub thats available in the uk.
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I see ur point with the shipping. I would say also the type r's are extemely clean sounding like I said with allot of watts when I had my type r's 12's I had 2 dual 4's wired in parallel/parallel on my cliff designs lx10.1 1st gen amp @ 1ohm they were pullin bout 1600 rms so bout 800 a piece w/ the ssf set at 20Hz in a 1.25 cuft per chamber slot ported box port tuned at 28Hz and the rear interior wall of the box dynamatted and WOW it hit so low and so clean plus if have those boston comps they should pick up the low mid bass that the type r's lack say above 80-100Hz. But I do recomendem even oven over JLw3v3 (they suck ass and cost the same) well when they both first came out they were both 250 a piece.

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
cosmicporcupine

wow thats alot of power indeed , are they not rated at 500rms so can say they can really take the power!! Are they not just really loud when running at that power ??
I think maybe the DLS will have it on SQ and at normal listening volumes but the alpine will have lot more punch for the pound.

i think my list is narrowing down

Alpine SWR-1042D the cheapest for £99

DLS RW10 £160

Hertz HX250 £160

I dont think the herts goes as low as the other two 35hz compared to 25hz i think and i think the R type has just as good build quality so i think that is going drop off the list soon as well or maybe its a good compramise between the two spl more like the alpine but sq more like the DLS but does not have the same range.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Thanks for the props Knight, but I'm not an expert on all DLS stuff by any means. I have used those 10's and can vouch for them as they are a very nice sub. I've never heard the Hertz sub so I couldn't offer an opinion on that one but out of the rest I would say the DLS would be your best SQ sub.

The only problem with DLS seems to be their availability/distribution. If you have a dealer or other source that's close to you, then you are golden! Otherwise, any sub is gonna kill ya on shipping.

Do you have any Morel connections? An Ultimo 10" would be an other one to consider if you are intent on having 10's.

PS ... cosmicporcupine .. :lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good one!
Greg Kitching
cosmicporcupine

I dont have the bostons that was my friends set up although they sounded amazing very bright, im looking at the focal 165A1 comps if i cant get them in my doors going to me measuring up this eve if not will have to settle for the 130A1 instead.
cosmicporcupine

have not herd of the Ultimo 10 will look it up, i can get hold of the DLS with not to much of a problem.
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

greg

no prob greg hey are u still in lancaster if so man Im in winchester, va I used to go to lancaster every for my DAS show when I used to work at a shop a few years ago they were one of my suppliers. Also man madd props on all ur pics on ur installs I bow to u and ur work if I woulda know at that time I woulda stop at ur shop way back when I was installing in my previous life LOL

cosmic

dont get me wrong the type r's still sound good with there "rated" power but people really dont relize how much they can handle and all subs (quality built) always sound better with more wattage usually say 100-200 more cause most normal installs amps dont get a full 4v or more signal so people tend to clipped signals to the amps so most installs the subs dont get true full power but more clean wattage at a lower signal level is better than a higher clipped signal so espcially in sq. Also I would do the focals comp's any day over the boston's even the lower end focals sound better to me than bostons high end well except bostons old 3-way set though those are up there w some of the best

any other vets wanna correct me please feel free

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
cosmicporcupine

Morel Ultimo looks like really nice design , but think im going to struggle again in the uk get hold of one with out shipping from abroad.
going try contact them see if they have any uk disribution.

so i can kinda guage an idea of the DLS rw10 on what par would you put it on with other sub in terms of sq?

I really wish there was some good audio shops in my county that stock more then 1 brand or just higher end brands period so could get a real comparison of the speakers i am after, thinking major gap in the market there!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Instead of the plain RSD, can you get the RSD Competition subs? I like the RSDs a lot, but the RSDC's are even better. And an RSDC 10 is no slouch by any means. Very loud, very accurate, and plays clean from deep bass right up to tight, higher bass. The regular RSD 10 is great as well, and easily one of the most tonally accurate subs I've heard, though it's not all that loud.

IDQ's are fantastic subs as well. I would love to test the new one but it's extremely hard to get them here as well. I have not heard that exact Boston, but I did really really like their 10.5LF's. If it's anything like those you will also have a great sub. The Hertz and DLS I have not heard, but I am sure you can't go wrong considering their reputation. I have definitely enjoyed their component sets.

The only sub in your list I do not like is the Type-R. I found it needlessly aggressive and punchy, while being boomier on other stuff. It's loud, sure, but there are better sounding subs. Their Type-X 10 seems to be quite good by comparison.

I have had lots of different subs in my car, and I struggled to find "the one". Finally though, I've settled on the RSDC. It's the best sounding sub I've heard. Very well balanced, smooth lows, crisp highs, good timing, and blends very well with even a weak front stage. So my subjective recommendation to you is an RSDC 10.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Their Type-X 10 seems to be quite good by comparison.

Nobody ever mentions that....we always destroy the type-R rep :lol: :lol:

But the type X is a whole different sub and has anyone checked the xmax on a 12 type X :shock:

It is quite musical and I really appreciate the type x subs.....would like to see a 18" version :shock: :twisted:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

To be honest the first few times I heard the Type-X subs they sounded terrible. I think they might have had first-run QC issues... or the shop installing them here was garbage.

Recently however I have nothing but good things to say about them, especially after hearing them in proper installs. They sound great! :D
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

I can get u a Morel in the UK , but they pricey , IDQ as well is availible in the UK , other options are CDT and RE. Both availible in the UK.
AKA Shaheenk
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

cosmicporcupine wrote: so i can kinda guage an idea of the DLS rw10 on what par would you put it on with other sub in terms of sq?
I would categorize it as a 'higher end', 'mid level' sub. That can be deceiving by it's looks. It's not the most power capable (250w RMS / 500w peak) but very efficient for a 10". Uses a small sealed box. 1/2 Cu Ft. (?ltrs) And is very linear. Not overly boomy or punchy. Struggles a little with the lowest registers like 20/25 HZ. But overall a great sub for the price vs performance.

I say deceiving because I hate when manufacturers add shit to the baskets to make their subs look bigger and beefier. I almost always have a negative opinion before I even hear it. But I can appreciate they gotta do what sells sometimes. So I was pleasantly surprised when I got a listen to em such that it left an impression on me. Where as most don't.

Knight .. Actually it was York. (on the other side of the Susquehanna) We never did have a store in Lancaster. Just York, Harrisburg and Hanover. And yes, the DAS shows are still being held. hehe I know some guys that used to drive up there every stinkin day for product. We were always direct with our suppliers so I didn't do much business with them except for emergencies. oh .. and don't bow to me .. I'm no gentlman :lol:
Greg Kitching
cosmicporcupine

ok cool cheers for your opinion got some thinking to do but im leaning toward getting the DLS think it will fit in with my system well.

Thanks for your help guys :)
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

hey greg I know DAS still has their shows and all, I was saying that I used go to them when I used to install. I know where york is also both lancaster and york are both in my territory/ my district for the company I work for we have a store in both towns but anyways when I used to install we jus mainly got installation items and mobile spec wiriing and 18 wheeler stuff from das unless I went to a show (jus for the sale room they have cause that stuff in there is SO CHEAP!!!!!!!!!)

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

No doubt.

Speaking of Mobile Spec, was Dick Pennburg the rep when u were in it? You would certainly remember him if he was. Crazy dude.
Greg Kitching
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

mobile spec is owned/division of DAS distrubutors yes I did know him when das still sold MATTS, Crossfire (their white series), Lanzar (when they started to go down the pot), Autotek, around 01 and before right. he was their only did the east coast before they went nation wide and were a nobody then LOL. But yea I remember him when I went to one of their original shows he was trying to explain to me why mobile spec was so much better than streetwires (before DEI gottem) and mobile spec then was really jus as good as radioshacks wire LOL and do know larry he was my sales rep for DAS really short guy like 5'6 baldish kinda but sounds like he's 350lbs and 7' tall deeap scratchy voice lol

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA