Best value for sound deadening?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Audiophiliac

Best value for sound deadening?

Post by Audiophiliac »

I have the interior completely stripped and am working on cleaning all the old gunk off the floor. When its all clean, I need to deaden the whole thing before I put it back together.

Its not a large car ('95 VW GTI), and I do not think I will get too crazy with multiple layers or anything. I will do a double layer on the floor probably. I will do the roof and hatch area with a single layer and the front doors with a single layer as well.

I am not sure if it is cheaper to do a liquid deadener or to use the sheets.

I have not shopped around much yet, but I figured someone ought to know what is the cheapest stuff that still works good and does not fall off when it gets hot. Black cars and 100 degree summers make ovens.

:) Thanks!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i know they have other brands that are usually less...but amazon.com has dynamat extreme for silly cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Xtr ... 153&sr=8-1
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I use either Raammat or Second Skin. Both of them have been great for me! :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Fatmat... i received 100SQ ft for 189.95CAD (cheaper in yankee bucks) including shipping from dalfen auto. also was very fast shipping. you can find it here http://cgi.ebay.com/100sf-FatMat-Car-Au ... tsupported
i thought it was prettty good it stuck like a mofo and i tried to get it off after appling .....ya right it's never coming off. it's not the super thick stuff but my car is louder and quieter for sure. all depends on your personal choice.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have had my hands on almost all of the major brands and a few minors and I will not use anything less then second skin damplifier pro on any of my own vehicles. If you could hold it and a piece of extreme you would understand the differences and not need a second layer. The regular damplifier is priced on par with extreme at the sale price.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibratio ... lifier.php
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Been posted before, but...

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

PG Dead liner...............almost impossible to find though :(
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:PG Dead liner...............almost impossible to find though :(
I have a sheet....and yes hard to find these days....
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

how is pg deadliner beter then original dynamat?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I like that sounddeadenershowdown. Prices are reasonable. Raammat also is pretty inexpensive considering. I do like the Damplifier stuff, but it is a bit more spendy it seems. I have not checked ebay, but I will give it a search tomorrow.

Thanks for all the ideas.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Bfowler wrote:how is pg deadliner beter then original dynamat?
I used it back in the day...........and it kicked ass, way better than the original dmat Im using now!!!!!!!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
drivingdadevil

Post by drivingdadevil »

This is what I used in the trunk of my Volvo S70.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-de ... ategory=71

One gallon did my entire trunk and did away with the metal trunk rattling sound. Plus it went on with a roller brush with ease and no funky smell like dynamat has.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

do it once, do it right. Second skin or Standartplast for me.

Bret
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Second Skin
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
packersfan

Post by packersfan »

can i use the damplifer lite on my 09 escape doors insread of the pro? A little thinner and alot cheaper.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I just might have to try the SS Spectrum in the mustang......... :hmm:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
denim

Post by denim »

I have been using Damplifier Pro.

The SoundDeadenerShowdown products have been getting rave reviews and the price is awesome.
:)
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

spectrum appears to work really nicely, just don't apply it when it's cold.

Bret
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

So after taking some measurements and doing some initial calculations, it would cost me around $500 by the time everything was shipped to do my car. That is using all the stuff from SDS. Now, I think I can get the closed cell foam cheaper. And I need to use some to replace some of the OEM pad that I am chucking out. I will use 1/4" on the floor and doors.

And the CLD tiles are reasonably priced.

My biggest issue is the MLV...(mass loaded vinyl). While I am sure the SDS stuff is good, can it be that much better than anything else? Providing the same thickness and density, MLV is MLV is MLV if you ask me. Edead is the cheapest I have found so far. Aside from scouring ebay and other outlets that is.

Now one thing I do like about the SDS MLV is that it is not self adhesive. This would allow me to mount it with their recommended system of industrial velcro...making it removable. This makes the most sense for door panels where if you ever need in there to fix things (I own a VW....notorious for broken window regulators and door locks). For the floor, I will float everything...maybe hold it in a few key areas with some velcro. The roof will need to be glued on of course.

So my questions is if there is any source to find this MLV without adhesive on it? Or am I just stuck paying for it? :) I am trying to do this on a some kind of a budget.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

http://www.soundproofing.org/cgi-bin/cart.pl

This looks nearly exactly like what SDS is selling. Only at a much lower price. 1/8" thick. Same weight per sq. ft. No adhesive.
packersfan

Post by packersfan »

When deadening the door do u put anything right behind the speaker or just around it?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

it is best to skin the inside of the door its tricky to get in there but well worth it,and then skin the outer before putting the door panel back on. Look at some of the build logs here on the phorum to get a good idea how to do it properly 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!