FRANKED & OTHER PC SAMPLES> 5th RUN> EQ & D-BL

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

if you hit it with 400 grit then it will take some time to take those marks out with 1000. 800 would be perfect and cut the time in half just so you know next time.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

looks like its haze from the buffing process, otherwise known as compound haze, which would mean your compound is to rough you need something finer than that, you dont want to compound stuff, I use menzerna products on my car and they are awsome, but you should also look at getting a hook and loop for a polisher and using a constant pressure pad so it all comes out the same, if you are anal you are never gonna get great results by hand, just to much room for error. Anyways here is a link to a menzerna product that would work really well for this

http://properautocare.com/menfinpol.html
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

ordered 5# of clear and 5# of semi gloss black for more PC samples and stuff.
clear showed up today, not yet on the black. fingers crossed i can get it for the weekend- wanna do some more this weekend IOW joergs DD10's!
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

BLACK SEMI GLOSS 5 pounds in today.... we're rolling now!

I have to work this weekend so not sure how much i can get done, as I will have to work either sat or sun, and the other off day I have to do my brakes. got brakes and rotors and stuff, so I NEED to do that first.... but PC'ing will be operating as I want to do my calipers in the black that just showed up.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

OKAY... got back to doing some cooking... had powder in gun that i wanted to use up, so I shot the balacne of the clear onto the unfinished EQ232, and driopped some gold vein in the hopper for the d-block...have a look

TBH both of these will end up getting stripped and redone, because i have high standards and don't like the minor blems on them... BUT the silver lining is that I am getting much better at this, and shit is coming out smooth, glossy, and clear! the EQ is like glass truly i tell you... still a few spots that i wish were gone... but it is looking real good....save the swipe i did with my index finger on back cover before it was fully dried/cooled down- what a fuck nut... if wasn't for that I wouldn't be re-dipping it and doing it over again...

even though the pics have the EQ looking cloudy, it is not in person... and the badge you see there will not be on there with a red/blue flake color scheme... thats another reason why i will be re-dipping and doing over, b/c that badge is stainless, and has two legs that go through the holes on the cover... so i could 1) fill the holes w/ my lab metal, or just re-dip and re-pc and shoot a color scheme that would be fitting for the stanless PG badge to be on there. which i think i will be doing... but hey it's all in a days worth of practice... and very pleased w/ how they came out... albeit a coulple/few slight blemishes...one of which if i just kept my fingers to myself would be there...oh well live and learn.

@ Joerg Get ready... I'm kinda thinking a franked d-block along with your franked DD10's...wsy?
Attachments
IMG_9124.JPG
IMG_9124.JPG (212.47 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9123.JPG
IMG_9123.JPG (265.84 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9125.JPG
IMG_9125.JPG (181.23 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9126.JPG
IMG_9126.JPG (207.03 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9127.JPG
IMG_9127.JPG (250.83 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9122.JPG
IMG_9122.JPG (217.18 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9119.JPG
IMG_9119.JPG (268.59 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9120.JPG
IMG_9120.JPG (244.68 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9117.JPG
IMG_9117.JPG (214.82 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9118.JPG
IMG_9118.JPG (231.96 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
IMG_9129.JPG
IMG_9129.JPG (233.97 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Nice work Matt!!! Now get some DD10´s done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

I am like so tempted/anxious...so like on the fence about stepping it up a notch...
i like the guys at columbia coatings, they are very helpful, knowledgeable, and willing to share and spend time... Brian and Doug there, nice guys... anywho- i want to step my game up, and if i am to seriously consider opening local part time PC shop here locally, i would have to get better gun...
contemplating about grabbing this one here:
The Hyper smooth 02
They will be coming out with even more sophiscated unit the Hyper smooth 01 in next couple of weeks....and dropping the price on the '02...so i think when that happen i will be one of the first in line.

If i can get results like this with the pony, i should be able to do a whale of job with the hyper smooth
Last edited by mhyde71 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

joerg wrote:Nice work Matt!!! Now get some DD10´s done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you got it joerg, they will be done this week for you! anxious now to see how they will look, now that i just about got this shit down!

That EQ cover and face plate is like glass, you don't feel the flake what-so-ever, and shines and gleams in the proper lighting.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Can´t wait to see them! 8)
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

still some orange peel on the gloss coat though...
now that I have sat here and looked at it for last 20 minutes.
you can even see it in some of those pic's... but whats weird is that you don't feel it when you rub hand over it... feels smooth as smooth can be...wonder whats that about.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

The surface of the thing u powdercoated wasn´t a 100% fat free! That´s what it means!
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

joerg wrote:The surface of the thing u powdercoated wasn´t a 100% fat free! That´s what it means!
:? :?
huh?
:? :?

you mean the metal underneath? not completely clean? TBH i really only have a 2 / 3 (sometimes 4, but typically just 2 or 3; as pro's use/have upwards of 6 or 7 stages for prepping) stage cleaning process (well i call them stages; sure not what the pro's would call stages, but i do them in stages)... dipping, blasting (to creat profile), and then some fine sanding if deemed neccessary. I wanna get a cabinet though... which is next purchase. ONE advatage in doing stuff that was/has been PC'ed is that it is a little easier process, as the metal had to once be prepped to begin with when it was first ever PC'ed. so it is really a matter of getting the old PC off, and then just making sure it is very very clean.. BUT it's like i always forget to wear my latex gloves whence the items are cleaned through the final stage as there are oils and stuff on fingers that compromise the work/end result.

I just spent (I say just spent, it was like 3 weeks ago) but yeah it was 285 on the dipping solution i chose (10 gallons) and that shit strips PC in like 10/20 minutes - fucking great, but there are bad rusty pieces I have put through the shop that needed blasting first, then dipping, then fine sanding... THEN last stage is the iron phosphate (for steel) acetone for the aluminum.
Last edited by mhyde71 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I don't know if you can get a true glass-like finish from PC with out a buffing/sanding process involved. I can see it in the pics as well although it is much less then your last one. Even with an orange peel on the surface the clearcoat helps to smooth it out. I know you are saying it feels like glass but really go and do an ab comparison and you will feel the difference.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

mhyde71 wrote:@ Joerg Get ready... I'm kinda thinking a franked d-block along with your franked DD10's...wsy?
Just read that! :oops:

I have 6 housings at home in austria! Already fully deassembled!
But as i´m going to build a little MS-Distrocenter i got no use for those shells anymore. Just needed the internals!

But it would be a neat little piece for sure!
Last edited by joerg on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

just ran fingers over the amp and then my bedroom window... not good excersise, as the widow truly felt more bumpy/inconsistant than the EQ...
wifey doesnt do windows I guess :shock: :lol:
but point somewhat understood. BUT still running over the EQ really really smooth...
wonder if I should sand/buff the bottom coat (black) before i do top coat? is that what youre saying? or as a final step in the process and sand and buff the top clear?

The single stage PC's (like the gold vein), is much more forgiving... that's kinda nice with the PC like those as they will not be bothered by slight inconsistencies of/in the metal or orange peel is almost non-exsistant as it is supposed to be textured like that... thats why i shot the gold vein tonight becasue I was tired of doing the two stage PC process and wanted to see how a single stage looked/turned out. looks great in person... threw it back in the box for the d-block, and looks like it could have very well come from PG like that....
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

joerg wrote:
mhyde71 wrote:@ Joerg Get ready... I'm kinda thinking a franked d-block along with your franked DD10's...wsy?
Just read that! :oops:

I have 6 housings at home in austria! Already fully deassembled!
But as i´m going to build a little MS-Distrocenter i got no use for those shells anymore. Just needed the internals!

But it would be a neat little piece for sure!
shoot a couple shells over, or send me a couple on next shipping/transaction... i'd like to make one... too bad no internals though... whats goiod a black shell with no guts? i dunno.. but yeah neat idea!
I really love this PC shit, I like the local kids/fellas coming around and looking/seeing the latest i have done and wow they are like that shit's cool man...

FUNNY thing is, three doors down, i was driving to bring fam to beach, saw my neighbor scraping/sanding some metal on his porch... i stopped and asked hey what do you have planned with that there... says he is going to strip clean and paint... i said well hey how would you like to powder coat it...? HE SAID WAIT WHAT YOU PC??? WHOA I have been looking for months for local guy to PC...and further explained to me that he does arcade restorations for a living... (arcade games like galaxian, frogger, pacman, etc...) and the coin tray face plates are originally PC, and would love to, but just doesn't have lots of money and he is cheap (he is start up too)... so anywho- i told him bring one down, that is job ready (ready to be shot), and I will do one por-gratis, and if you want to continue, we can set something up... he just bought 15 machines and all need to be stripped and PC'ed... haven't seen him since, but i am sure i will soon.

BUT it is stuff like that around here that make me really want to open shop, even just part time and keep my full time and when word gets out, throw and ad in the paper and all that...BUT i will really have to step my game up, and get better gun, learn a few more tricks... but it's coming, it coming.

m
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow Matt, that looks hella sweet. Though the logo does seem out of place... maybe in the top left corner, properly angled, it would look better.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

stipud wrote:Wow Matt, that looks hella sweet. Though the logo does seem out of place... maybe in the top left corner, properly angled, it would look better.
i hear ya, but unfortunately that is where the holes are... i can fix that of course, but might just keep there and make a new/different color scheme on there that would be more fitting to a stainless (or maybe it's aluminum, whatever it is) badge...

maybe like a gun metal black, wet black, or chrome flake in with a gloss black.. i dunno... open for suggestions though too.... i duuno.. just kinda getting tired of always shooting dark colors.

i love the gold-vein on the d-block.

m
LeggoMyEggo

Post by LeggoMyEggo »

Hope this helps, attachment is comprised of three direct scans of a black EQ232 cover.
Attachments
PG EQ Silk Scans.zip
(6.84 MiB) Downloaded 174 times