Outlaw in distress :(

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
vin78
Vin Diesel

Outlaw in distress :(

Post by vin78 »

I just received this Outlaw and it is in dying need for TLC.

It definitely looks like someone tried to repair it
I'm planning on replacing all the input caps, mosfet's and maybe even the rail caps.
Can some one link me to websites (digikey or parts express) and to the exact part that I'll need?

Exterior 6/10 condition. It looks like someone busted out the blue shapie and did some touching up. **note** that I removed the screws for the cover.

**I removed some of the larger pics for ease of download :)**

Now for the really ugly stuff.

M50 side

Funny clamp with ghetto bolts/spacers...I hope PG didn't do this.

Under the clamp, it looks like some one replaced a few of these before.
M100 side.

Leaking caps :(

I contacted Phil at PG to see if they can refinish the amp and he said that they don't refinish amps anymore :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by vin78 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

send it to the good DOC or cecil...They have both repaired old PG amps for me and did a wonderful job.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Well that does not look too bad. I know Doc can fix you right up on that amp.
He has the best history with those. Please check some of his work bringing back the dead M series amps out there. He does top shelf work on those, and yours in no where near as bad as some he has brought back to life.

You have some bad Fets and bad solder that needs cleaning up and I would let the Doc fix you up on caps at the same time.

Just my opinion C :D

PS that clamp is not stock PG . PG used little insulators and screws to hold all of those Fets and diodes against the sink. Doc probably has stock of these items. :)
rolandk

Post by rolandk »

If you mean repairing it electronically then the PG Service Dept should be able to fix it no problem. If you meant replacing the chassis and/or heatsink then no, there is no stock left.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

That amp is quite good cosmetically, IMO, but the electrical is indeed shoddy work to say the least. I especially like the carved up FETs to get the screws around them.

I have links to the power input caps I use in my capacitor replacement tutorial. I can probably dig up the invoices from when I fixed my Outlaw to look up the capacitors I used for the rails.

I don’t have a M100 clamp bar, but it can be fabricated pretty easily.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

rolandk wrote:If you mean repairing it electronically then the PG Service Dept should be able to fix it no problem. If you meant replacing the chassis and/or heatsink then no, there is no stock left.

Roland is very much correct, they also have very fair flat rates of repair that include return shipping. The Doc also has very fair rates. C
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I don’t know if my rates are all that fair. What I do know is I am extremely anal and go the extra mile to make everything as good as I can get it (unless someone needs an amp fixed and can only afford $20, in that case I scrounge to reuse thermal paste off it).
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Check your pm box doc
marko

Post by marko »

my god, that's the worst butchery of an amp i've ever seen, for starters they've used the wrong fets :shock: standard should be irfz44 not irfz40, could always use 48's as an upgrade, them bars are most deffinatly not standard and only fitted because they couldn't use the existing holes for the fet because they were cut out of a doner amp of some description!!

wonder what lurks on the underside of the heatsink.....

this amp has had a hard life and needs lot of luvin :)
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

Sorry I couldn't get back to you guys, I had a little issue with my GF... :roll:
Yeah, I might have to send this out to one of you guys and have it worked on.

I don't want to make it worse by trying to repair it myself.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Here is an update on this amp…

These photos were what it was. All sorts of parts are not correct, holes are stripped out, and 9 resistors were wrong, or just plain installed poorly.

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

These are just some of the parts I removed and replaced on the M50 side of the amp…

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I implemented my new resistors against the heat sink so they don’t cook themselves method…

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Here are some new parts in place…

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

And here is the M50 side jamming to some nine inch nails, “year zero”…

…sounds great so far.

vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

Cool!

Does the M100 side need any work besides replacing the caps?

Did you get around to checking the output (RMS)?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I cannot officially check the RMS output, as my powersupply is only 30A. I measure the max unclipped output voltage unloaded, and that will give you the RMS power for dynamic music. Every M50 I have tested has been the same, so I don’t test them for that anymore. I can if you wish.

I think it is something like 120W a channel.

The M100 side needs new input caps, and I don’t think anything beyond that. It looks pretty solid.
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

If they all seem to put out roughly the same then thats okay, there's no need. 120 is pretty stout for only rated for 50w/ch. :lol:

I'm glad that the M100 is still running strong (except for the caps and all).

thanks for the updates
Last edited by vin78 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Eric, I must say,
It's pretty steller of you to take your own time and do what you do. Yes I'm sure you're getting paid, but there are far to many people one can't trust to 1) do it right 2) return it and not steal it. I oh so wish I knew how to do that. I would love to spend my free time doing something like that. Regardless of past issues, you help make this site what it is, and that's one worth coming to. :clap:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

It was sad to see the initial pictures... but very happy to the fixed ones! :D

I have mad love for the M series after both inspecting and using my M44. Great to see one of the rare ones back in working order! I am looking for an M100 to match :evil:

Doc's tutorial will probably be helping me out a lot soonish, I think I'll look into replacing all the input caps in both the M44 and the M100 when I get it. It looks like a great tutorial so I'll feel like I'm in good hands, so to speak. Errr, yeah.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
marko

Post by marko »

when i 1st got my outlaw project i disgarded the rca cable on the inside, after seeing one on ampguts i thought mine was wrong, since then i've seen a couple with this cable :roll: so at some point i will return to standard spec, is it so the x-over for the m100 can be used on the m50?

mark.
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

marko wrote:when i 1st got my outlaw project i disgarded the rca cable on the inside, after seeing one on ampguts i thought mine was wrong, since then i've seen a couple with this cable :roll: so at some point i will return to standard spec, is it so the x-over for the m100 can be used on the m50?

mark.
I believe so. If I could recall, whatever the M100 is set at the M50 receives the opposite signal....If not, its definitely there so the user can plug in only one pair of RCA's and send signals to both amps
marko

Post by marko »

vin78 wrote:
marko wrote:when i 1st got my outlaw project i disgarded the rca cable on the inside, after seeing one on ampguts i thought mine was wrong, since then i've seen a couple with this cable :roll: so at some point i will return to standard spec, is it so the x-over for the m100 can be used on the m50?

mark.
I believe so. If I could recall, whatever the M100 is set at the M50 receives the opposite signal....If not, its definitely there so the user can plug in only one pair of RCA's and send signals to both amps
same as rout66 then, only you have to internally mod the route66 to bypass the cross overs....
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

smgreen20 wrote:Eric, I must say,
It's pretty steller of you to take your own time and do what you do. Yes I'm sure you're getting paid, but there are far to many people one can't trust to 1) do it right 2) return it and not steal it. I oh so wish I knew how to do that. I would love to spend my free time doing something like that. Regardless of past issues, you help make this site what it is, and that's one worth coming to. :clap:
Hey, who said I was planning to return this amp, I think I like it…

…just kidding!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

New capacitors for the M100 side of the amp…