capacitors and batteries

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
schroedes

capacitors and batteries

Post by schroedes »

just wondering what you guys think of capacitors and their usefullness, ill be running about 1500w rms after my install this weekend and decided to get a suppposedly 8 farad cap,which im sure isnt really 8 farads, coulda just got another damn battery for the same price,also any tips on running 2 batteries,is a isolator always necessary and do you run em series or parallel?? thanks
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

Personally I do not put much faith in caps no matter big or small. The smaller ones are just a band-aid for a much bigger problem and the larger ones have caused some strange problems on the factory charging system in some cases. I would recomend putting the money into a bigger batter and upgrade your big-3 cables, and then into an alt before spending a dime on a cap.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

too late! lol , just wondering what the big 3 upgrade is? im a newbie,sort of, and what kind of probs larger caps caused on elec systems?
KHPower
Location: In the Phoenix Phorum's boiler room , east of the janitors closet

Post by KHPower »

Definition: the "Big Three" upgrade means improving the current capacity of three cables: 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis. Some people replace the factory wiring; others add additional cables to the factory wiring. This instruction is to add cables to existing OEM wiring.
[color=#8040BF]Kenwood 993
Team Sundown:4500D
(2) Digital Designs 9500's
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Team Kinetik: HC3800 ,(2),1200s (2) 600's
Factory Authorized Kinetik ,Sundown,MB Quart Dealer[/color]
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

schroedes

Post by schroedes »

that makes sense, they put restrictive wiring on there, thanks man
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

i have 1/0 kicker power wire, would i be able to use that? thanks
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you can use it but the hardest part of using big cable is getting the large gauge terminals to fit on small connections like the alternator. In that case I recoment opening up a 4 awg connector enough to allow the bigger wire. Crimp it AND solder it and it is no problem. I recomend soldering all the power connections for these to ensure that they do not corrode.

The factory ground wires are a major choke point in the electrical system. Even if you run 0 awg to your amp it would be limited to the amperage that these wires can carry.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

you dont need 1/0 for a short run like that. just use some 4awg and save the big stuff.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

where is the engine ground to chassis located usually? i have a 05 grand prix comp g
drivingdadevil

Post by drivingdadevil »

Usually their are a few grounds on the back of the engine to the firewall.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I used a bolt that held the alternator onto the motor myself. IT was not only easy to run both the power and ground next to each other but as far as chassis goes, you can't get much closer then the alternators chassis.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

thanks, i was just wondering also, the power wire from alt to the battery runs with other wires that are wrapped up and take a long route all the way around the engine to the battery when the alternator is right next to the battery,kind of dumb cause this cause even mopre resistance in the 8awg thats used factory, can i just run a new wire straight to the battery from alternator and just leave this factory mess thats on there? current will just take the least resistive path anyways right? thanks