Need opinions looking for comp set

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
walker01s10

Need opinions looking for comp set

Post by walker01s10 »

I'm looking to put a set of 3 ways comp in the doors and thought I would ask on here everyones opinion what might be a good set to get. Or would it be better to do a 2 way setup with a midbass powered by a seperate amp.

This will be going into a 2001 chevy x-cab s10

Any info and thoughts would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to post links to the items your talking about.

Thanks
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Need more info... Budget? Sound taste? Speaker sizes?
walker01s10

Post by walker01s10 »

Budget is not an issue but I'm not going to go over board.

I mainly listen to rock and rap. But will listen to anything.

And speaker size is not an issue I'll fiberglass the doors if I have to. I have some kick panels that will hold a 5 1/4 and a tweeter so I could put any size midbass/woofer in the door with a little custom work.

I was thinking about going with a set of Dyn Audio 3 way speakers.

But am up to any sugestions and info as I know there is other stuff out there.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Dyn IMO isnt all its cracked up to be. I owned a three way set of their speakers, IMO go for a 3 way use a cone based midrange. The dome just can't get low enough

Do you need a passive xover? If not go DIY......
If you have DYN audio money do this instead
Scan speak .75" or 19mm small format illumanator tweet
scan speak revalator 5.25" 15m 4 ohm (not the midrange version the normal woofer)
finished up with peerless SLS 8" for midbass
That will be a far better set up than any car audio made kit on the market.

Or do what I did recently and save some $ since installign them in the doors wont get full potential out of a high end speaker set any way. Use a RSd 4" take the cap and inductor out of it use the rsd passive from the 6.5cs set to run those and run the 6.5 mid straight off the amp. Worked out nicely IMO, and worked better than a damn dome would.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Do you want used or new speakers?
bruther

Post by bruther »

I"m preferential to Rainbow Profi's
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

im now a huge fan of focal
even there base model is very nice
i got all my item form ebay and saved big $$$$$$$$
used mb,alpine dd drive ect I just like the sound of focal
I listen to rap/dance ect
good luck on finding what you will like
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
exist2serve

Post by exist2serve »

Full Active? Passive?

I'm a Morel whore myself, if you've got Dyn money, I'd say look at the Elate 3-way set or the Hybrid Ovation 3-way set, they're pure madness.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I love my diamond audio 3 ways, they are the old hex series.
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

I have a 2003 S-10 myself. 3-way active up front, 5.25" and tweet in the kicks, 6.5" midbass (125 hz low pass) in the stock locations. I did make a fiberglass sealed box for the 6.5s but the stock panel goes on with no mods. I use the Critical Mass comps. 2" voice coil, neo magnet. Sounds amazing
walker01s10

Post by walker01s10 »

Full Active or Passive????? I honestly don't know the difference. This is going to be my first full system install that I have ever done for my self. I have been collecting stuff for a year now. Here is a list of what I have and maybe it will help yall to help me buy the best stuff for my truck.

Kenwood DNX7120
2 JL audio 12w6
2 PG ti600.2
I suck at boxes so Thumper of www.poundthatsound.com is building my box for me.
ti bass cube
2 PG 400.2 was planning on using only one but will use both if need be.
2 ti deq comps only planned on using one but will use both if need be I bought them both for $500 so I couldn't say no.
Front stage :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Power
custom built 200 amp externally regulated alt
yellow top batt under hood
Kinetic hc1800 batt inside truck and an isolator for this batt
1/0 wire ran from the alt to both batts
dist block with 4g to all amps that are used

So thats what I have collected so far. I know where there is a set of ti5compelite at for $399 (BRAND NEW). Are they good if I got those then all I would need is a midbass/woofer for the 3rd speaker.
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

Active will require a dedicated channel for each driver. You will need an electronic x-over or 2. Passive is going to be a x-over after the amp. 2 chan. amp and a three way x-over for 3 way front
walker01s10

Post by walker01s10 »

M.Hendrix wrote:Active will require a dedicated channel for each driver. You will need an electronic x-over or 2. Passive is going to be a x-over after the amp. 2 chan. amp and a three way x-over for 3 way front

So if I used a 2 way setup and one amp on the front channel and woffers and another amp on the rear channels that would be an active setup???
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

The difference will come in with tuning flexibility. Every car, install, etc. is different. Passive has little to no tuning flexibility (x-over wise) active gives you the ability to "tune" a lot more problems out. I have found that if you cross your mid and tweet over at the same freq., you will get a spike in the response at that freq. A passive crossover works this way. (May be exceptions but I am not aware of them) Electronic let's you leave a "gap" between them to kind of smooth this out. This is my attempt at a not so technical explanation of a couple differences between the two. I hope it helps.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

image dynamics! my .02
ID Chamelions 2ohm drivers
or their newer xs 4 ohm'ers - real efficient zand heard better than the cxs's 2ohm'ers.
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

walker01s10 wrote:
M.Hendrix wrote:Active will require a dedicated channel for each driver. You will need an electronic x-over or 2. Passive is going to be a x-over after the amp. 2 chan. amp and a three way x-over for 3 way front

So if I used a 2 way setup and one amp on the front channel and woffers and another amp on the rear channels that would be an active setup???
I don't follow you. To run active you will need an amp channel for each "speaker". A 2 way front will require a 4 channel amp or 2 two channel amps. Is that what you were asking?
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

Now I want you to remember that this is opinion and you should audition when you can. But the above mentioned comp sets listed are all great IMO. What makes a great sounding stereo is install and tuning. What I mean is you can make a "decent" set of comps sound damn good with a great install and a good tune. In turn, you can take the best drivers in the world and they will sound terrible in a subpar install/tune.
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

I would still say CM 3-way though. :D
walker01s10

Post by walker01s10 »

Oh ok I understand the active set up. Yeah I would need another 2 channels for an active setup.

Ok let me ask this then with what I have now what would you recomend me get or go with

2 ti deqcomp
2 ti 400.2

I could use both or just one or none of the deq and both or one of the amps.
walker01s10

Post by walker01s10 »

M.Hendrix wrote:I would still say CM 3-way though. :D
Do you have a link to their product.
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

walker01s10 wrote:
M.Hendrix wrote:I would still say CM 3-way though. :D
Do you have a link to their product.
Go to criticalmassaudio.com. If you go to the gallery on the left side of the page. The S-10 on the bottom is mine. These are under construction pics but I was almost done
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

If I had my way, I would go 3-way. I always do. Now those are fine EQ's IMO. But you need to get the crossovers figured out first. In order to do that you have to decide if you want 2 or 3 way. The 2 amps look great. But for 3 way you will need another 2 channels.
walker01s10

Post by walker01s10 »

Well I think a 3 way would sound better and give a better full range sound. So I guess I need to look for a ti 4 ch amp and use only one 200.2. I hope I have enough space for all of this in my truck some how I will make it all fit. :twisted:
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If this is your first install yourself, I highly suggest you just use a 2-way setup for components, instead of 3-way. Most of the best systems are 2-way, and getting a 3-way to work right is not as easy as a 2-way.

You can always get a 2-way set which leaves room for a future 3-way if you desire. (like a 6in set which allows you to add in a small mid later)

The more cones you have installed the greater chance for cancellation, crossover problems, off axis placement problems, and the additional amplifier channels (if active) are more of a hassle as well.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

not sure if this is of interest.. but saw chance for plug for sale of item...
as i see you thinking or considering a TiDEQ, not sure exactly how comparable the two items are... but just making mention
http://phoenixphorum.com/post125759.html#125759
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums