Which amp?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
M.Hendrix

Which amp?

Post by M.Hendrix »

I have to do a new install for one of my cars (Suburban) and was wondering what to do. I could do either M series amps or ZX series. Which one? I have said it before but to make sure you know I have never used the Phoenix Gold amps and don't know. I have always admired them but could not afford them. (when they were US made) I am used to CMass so I will be very picky. Please be honest because I am serious I do not know which one's are "best". I have some of each and expect alot from Phoenix Gold so let me have your thoughts.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i think it comes down to where you are planning to install them.

xz are fan cooled so they are more friendly to hiding them

they have almost the same output stages so the sound difference will be minimal.

also the zx have 24db p/o crossovers while the m have 12db p/o
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

what specific models do you have? and what do you want to power?
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

I have 3 ZX 500's, and 3 ZX 450's. I also have a ZX 950 but it does not look like it has ever been powered up so I would like to leave it in the closet. I have 2 each of the M series 25, 50, and 44's. Also have 3 Outlaws but like the 950 would like to save them. I will run a 3-way front stage and sub/s. Thanks for the advice. The only drivers I have purchased are the Alpine SPX-PRO 5.25 comp set. I really wanted to try them and would not spring for the Scans.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Take a board out of the ZX500 and one out of the ZX450. Put them in the ZX950 chassis, and set the original ZX950 boards aside since you want to save them. When you pull the 500 and 450 boards, replace the capacitors on them so they don't catch on fire (all ZX amps tend to catch on fire when the caps short out.

Swapping the board is very easy to do and will not damage either the ZX950 chassis, or the donor chassis.

M amps are great, but they don't perform quite as good as ZX.
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

WOW! I did not think the ZX would be as good as the M series. I trust your judgment though! I will also stop buying the M series. LOL!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Don't get me wrong, M series are great. But, when they were around, the MS was the top line and M was more "entry level", and from what I remember, ZX took the place of MS and the M stayed on until the XS was launched for the true "entry level".

M amps are great (the M25 is sort of my reference amp I measure all other amps against), but they run pretty hot and they don't have the features or power output of the ZX line.
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

Thanks Eric. What about the noise from the fans on the ZX amps?
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

By the way. Did you ride that bus to school Eric? That would have an impact on what I thought of your Opinion!
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

Just kidn' Eric, been reading for a few weeks and you are OK in my book!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The ZX fans do make noise. If they are mounted in the passenger cabin of your vehicle, they might even be distracting on low musical passages. I personally had my ZX amps in my trunk so I never heard them.

As for riding the bus, just wait until I show you my tinfoil hat...
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

Thanks again Eric. That will go a long way with my decision on which amps to use. In the Suburban they will be inside though. (under second row seats)
bogart

Post by bogart »

I love the m amps but as Eric stated...they like to get pretty toasty and fans would be recommended if you intend to run em anything but 4ohm stereo. I like the zx amp....better and more reliable then the ti line but the smaller amps lacked the x over onboard...which sucks for those without seperate xover capability, but you seem to have that covered.

The only drawback to either line imo is the lack of a bigger amp in the line....500 watts or bust really....now there are plenty of subs that will do great on 500 watts but for the most part that is entry level power for most modern drivers....and that would be one amp per sub. I have always leaned toward heavy amplification in my installs though so take that with a grain of salt....
M.Hendrix

Post by M.Hendrix »

Thanks for the reply Bogart. I also like lots of power. I really just need a little power compared to my S-10. Just hate having to take the Suburban (with stock stereo) when we all need to go. I will put a nice stereo in it! My kids want to take 2 different cars when we go somewhere. LOL! I also like takin' the S-10! Anyway I am trying to figure out what I want to do and it is a little different as I have never used this stuff before!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

For someone that's unsure, or has never heard their amps you sure have a bit of a collection of them going.

The M series has that classy look to them, but I can not comment on how they sound as I've never heard one yet myself. I got a toasted M50 off of CL for $15 and a partially blank M50 board from Eric to replace the one that fried so I will be able to have one when I get $$ to buy the extra parts needed.

The ZX series however is what I use. I use the 450 for my comps in a 2-way/3-way set up and a ZPA for the subs.

Knowing what you have amp wise, I'd like to know what you have for the speaker set up. That could help determine what amps I would use.
Right now I'm thinking a 450 for the 4 corners a 500 for mid bass up front and a 500 for subs. I'm also trying to stick w/what room is available under the rear seat.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998