Old school subs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
KUB3

Old school subs

Post by KUB3 »

What subs did you guys used to use or drool over back in the day? Also does anyone collect any of these subs now?

Mine used to be the Celestion AD15 (which I have three of now)
& JL Audio 10W6(v1 of course) these were pretty good fun :)

I also remember looking in magazines at the original JBL GTI subs. These were really efficient. Marko, do you still have one of these?

Some of the most impressive installs I had seen was an old Beetle with x4 Cerwin Vega 18" subs, which won the under 300w class. But the most beautiful was an estate car with x6 JL 15W6 and x3 MS2250 amps!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

the JBL GTi's...for real. my jaw it the floor the first time i saw one.

i also had a hard on for XMAX's because carbon fiber was the shit!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

first subs I owned were a pair of Celestion AD15's I bought in Australia
wish I still had them, but have a lead on a pair of 12's, need to work on those
Xmax's and velvet hammers are the ones I always loved (and still do)
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

I fell in love with Celestion AD15Hx2 in my car. Tried to change them into JBL GTI 1500, but went back to AD15H.

Later on, I tried several other elements - but what I ended up with - are the subs I do own today.

I have 14 Celestion AD12 and 2 Stroker 18" DC that I love more than everything else. I know that the market may have elements better than my old-schoolers......... But I do not care. I love the sound of those elements, and so be it.
Last edited by Pedi on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

I have three BNIB AD15. All in original packaging with manuals. Two are 4 ohm which I will use. But I have a spare 8ohm ;) I guess I may keep any eye out for another 8ohm to keep it company.

ps

That JBL above is a new one, not old school ;)

ps

Pedi, how many 12" Celestion's do you have in your instal? Also what are you doing with the 18" strokers and what do they sound like?
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

^ah....well some of us are older school then others :)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

M&M Godfather.......umm that is the 'ish right there.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

KUB3 wrote: That JBL above is a new one, not old school ;)

ps

Pedi, how many 12" Celestion's do you have in your instal? Also what are you doing with the 18" strokers and what do they sound like?
Yeah, those GTI1500s I had was nothing like that, hehe... Back in 94 or 95 I guess..

My install will get 12 of my AD12s, the 2 remaining are just for spare. I will also use those two 18" Strokers that I have in the same install.

Like I said, I love the sound of those speakers. But remember, the 15" Stroker compared to a 18" Stroker is like two different worlds. So now I love those 18"s... I am looking forward to hear the sound of those speakers again.

I also need a DD10...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Talking about oldskool.... CERWIN VEGA S-15 free air woofers is what I used, 8 of them in my small opel kadett.
With a efficiency of 96Db and powered by 4 MS2125's they hit 156Db in 1996, good enough to win the European championship. [I still remember that day well :hurr: ]
All day long I had beaten every competitor in every class [even the pro's with thousands of watts], and when it was him-or-me at the very last Db drag, I pushed the volume further than I ever dared.
After three seconds it was clear I had won; the crowd went nuts, I opened the door, expecting a burned smell... nothing! . :shock: So for me, those subs were my favorite and some of them still run today in the install of one of my friends! [others played fine until the surrounds gave way].
Tried JBL GTI 15's as well; looked awesome, but did not play so well, and cones tend to rupture. :evil:
Another kind of oldskool woofers play in my home today; the 15 inch Klipsch La Scala's I play my music on, are build in 1968.
I replaced the woofers because the cones were sagged, but there is no difference in sound between the old [square magnet] ones and the new ones.
That's OLDSKOOL! :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG (79.95 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
IMG_3361.JPG
IMG_3361.JPG (73.11 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

Jesus Pedi! What do you drive, a lorry?! How the hell are you going to fit that lot in one instal?! :shock:

There I was, thinking x2 15 might be ott. Haha

Nico, it's amazing how efficiency is almost forgotten today! Now it's all about thousands of watts in class D it seems. I can't see how some of the spl woofers could sound any good either, as they are so heavy with huge xmax.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

haha...your guess is closer then you think ;)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:haha...your guess is closer then you think ;)
http://phoenixphorum.com/project-krank- ... t3790.html
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I wanna see and hear it before I die. :pray:
And yes Paul, you are sooo right; I couldn't care less howmany thousands of watts I can [HAVE TO] put into it.
A typical modern sub with HUGE surround [stiff like my ....] ,is likely to have a eff. of 86Db or something :idiot:
The combination of underrated [PGGGG] watts and high eff. woofers proved to be to much for many impressive multi-kilowatts SPL contenders. :twisted: in my time already.
Now, with the aid of phase-shifting and computers within reach it is still possible to have a clever setup with a SPL others can only dream of.
[ then again...LARGE CONE AREA IS ALWAYS GOOD].. :lol:
Attachments
grote woofer.jpg
grote woofer.jpg (84.44 KiB) Viewed 7413 times
Last edited by nico boom on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

Ahah, it all makes sense now. I must admit, I have often wondered that a hearse might be a good car for audio too :lol:
ChaosWarlord26

Post by ChaosWarlord26 »

Clarion use to make 32" subs as well. Even Quad coiled.......
Extreme Goddamn Ouch!!
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

M&M Godfather 15's
then Orion XTR DVC 15's

I always wanted some Soundstream Exacts, but ended up going to college instead. :doh:
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

156db in '96 :shock: You would have shit kicked anyone that competed here in B.C, I remember around that time the guys who where winning where hitting low to mid 140's.
my oldschool subs of choice were 2 JBL GT 15's, runing off my M50,I hit 137.6db and then I went back to 2 12 inch Kicker XPL's ,92% efficient I believe? and I squeezed out 137.7 out of those, both of these sets had very close to the same sound and the JBL's were 150$ cheaper :D Bothe very tight and clean and went loooooooooowwwwwwwwwww. Then again ofcourse they sounded that way being run by oldskool PG A/B goodness :metal:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

nico boom wrote:I wanna see and hear it before I die. :pray:
And yes Paul, you are sooo right; I couldn't care less howmany thousands of watts I can [HAVE TO] put into it.
A typical modern sub with HUGE surround [stiff like my ....] ,is likely to have a eff. of 86Db or something :idiot:
The combination of underrated [PGGGG] watts and high eff. woofers proved to be to much for many impressive multi-kilowatts SPL contenders. :twisted: in my time already.
Now, with the aid of phase-shifting and computers within reach it is still possible to have a clever setup with a SPL others can only dream of.
[ then again...LARGE CONE AREA IS ALWAYS GOOD].. :lol:
Those really huge subs just never put out good numbers. Great low end, but far to large to take full advantage of the woofer, even then they still get out done. They make a hell of a marketing tool though.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

nico boom wrote:Talking about oldskool.... CERWIN VEGA S-15 free air woofers is what I used, 8 of them in my small opel kadett.
With a efficiency of 96Db and powered by 4 MS2125's they hit 156Db in 1996, good enough to win the European championship. [I still remember that day well :hurr: ]
All day long I had beaten every competitor in every class [even the pro's with thousands of watts], and when it was him-or-me at the very last Db drag, I pushed the volume further than I ever dared.
After three seconds it was clear I had won; the crowd went nuts, I opened the door, expecting a burned smell... nothing! . :shock: So for me, those subs were my favorite and some of them still run today in the install of one of my friends! [others played fine until the surrounds gave way].
Tried JBL GTI 15's as well; looked awesome, but did not play so well, and cones tend to rupture. :evil:
Another kind of oldskool woofers play in my home today; the 15 inch Klipsch La Scala's I play my music on, are build in 1968.
I replaced the woofers because the cones were sagged, but there is no difference in sound between the old [square magnet] ones and the new ones.
That's OLDSKOOL! :lol:
Nico, how did you fit 8 15's in a Kadett? I would love to see a picture of that. Do you have any pics? Do you have any pics? Do you have any pics?
mistawikid

Post by mistawikid »

back in the 90's Orion and JL was big sh*t around Kentucky! I started with two Orion Cobalt DVC 10's and moved up to four Orion XTR 10's before crossing over to the PG side!

Dropped 144db in an S-10 with a 40x40 hole in the roof!
! its all fun and games until the Cops show up !
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

oldschoolfan wrote:Nico, how did you fit 8 15's in a Kadett? I would love to see a picture of that. Do you have any pics? Do you have any pics? Do you have any pics?
http://phoenixphorum.com/memory-lane-wh ... t5382.html

Check out this thread.

I also need a DD10...
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

I've got the following....

Soundstream Exact 8's (pair), Exact 10 (1 of), Exact 12 (1 of), Rubicon 12 (pair)

PG X-Max 15 (1 of)

Celestion AD12 (pair) ........ Itchy, hit me up if you're still interested.

and some JL's (12w4 from memory)

Could'nt agree more with the sentiments of todays woofers being heavy and unsensitive. Used to be cool when 300rms was a huge amount to run to a 12"woofer.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Not all that old but I always had a hard on for the Adire Audio Brahma.
marko

Post by marko »

i have 1500gti subs x2 and also a NIB 1000gti sub as well as a pair of tc81's :hurr:

also got the mandatory cyclone 8)
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

andy, still interested
will pm you next week for those
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]