a few enclosure questions

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
CrownMe

a few enclosure questions

Post by CrownMe »

Hey Guys,

I finally put in an order for a 12" RsdC :hurr: . I should have it by wednesday. In the interest of time I was thinking of just picking up a prefab box.

I was going to pick up a sealed bassworx box, heres the specs:

its 1 cuft and is made with 5/8 mdf

I was wondering if it would work or should I add some polyfill to it? I know I read somewhere on here that 1.25 cuft sealed works best with the rsdc.

If I need to add polyfill, how much?

Is there really any disadvantages of buying a prefabbed box or its just nice to make ur own so you can pick your own dimensions?

.. Finally what box size would be optimal for someone looking for decent output but its very important for me to get accurate bass with fast response. I would also like to cross my sub pretty high around 80hz to blend with my front stage nicely. I listen to mostly underground hip hop or hip hop from the 90's.

Thanks guys
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

its probibly ok...but i dont like prefab boxes much

i can't speak to basswork specifically, but typically prefabs use liquid nails or silicon instead of glue, air nails instead of screws, no t-nuts,

i would really recommend adding your own tnuts. the rsdc isn't the type of subs you just put in with wood screws

you probibly dont really need polyfill in this case though
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
CrownMe

Post by CrownMe »

hmm, yea I guess I could add some T-Nuts and some glue to the inside of the enclosure. Thats not a big deal, I just dont want to spend the time building a box, especially since I want to finish my final exams and get started on a kick panel project.

Any other thoughts and opinions?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I have my RSDC12D2 in the exact same box as you are considering, and it seems ok, though I did add 1lb of polyfill to it.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I think the mdf is a bit thin on that prefab box, but it would be pretty easy to beef it up with some bracing. It's as simple as cutting out some 3-5" right angle triangles to brace the center of two adjoining panels on the box. Add some wood glue and use an air nailer to shoot right through the carpeted side to secure them and you'll add a bunch of rigidity to your box. Obviously it gets more complicated if the joint between panels isn't square, but on prefab boxes thats usually not an issue.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

I am not familiar with bassworx's boxes, but 5/8 is pretty thin for an RSDc 12", and I would really worry if the mounting face is also 5/8" thick.
1cuft is still pretty small for any 12", and I would think of polyfill as a must have in that setup.

Many prefabs use cheap glue and staple the boxes together. They do not clamp them while the glue dries, and their joint quality quite literally requires the inside to be siliconed or it would leak massive amounts of air.

You want to build kick panels, but cant handle a simple sealed box?
How hard is building a 1cuft sealed box? I could do one in a couple hours start to finish and have a bomb proof box.
Remember the box is responsible for 80% of the bass, which makes it more important than the sub itself.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a great sub when you put it in a mediocre box that doesnt let it perform to its full potential.
& a ported box can be just as crisp & musical as a sealed box ;)
CrownMe

Post by CrownMe »

lol, its not that I cant handle a simple sealed box, its just that I dont want to put the time in, unless its really worth it. I'm in my last semester of school, and I got my finals going on.

So I just wanted to toss it in real quick and not spend time on it, at the moment atleast.

anyways thanks for all the help, I'll just reinforce it nicely and add some polyfill and call it a day.

Maybe make a box for it later on