Eclipse SC 8355 3 way components

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Txsaxkat

Eclipse SC 8355 3 way components

Post by Txsaxkat »

Anyone heard or installed these Im in the process of installing these in the front of a bmw M3 mids and tweets in the factory locations I also want to move the midbass to the door pocket slot it will take some work but be worth it. Any ideas with help on the midbass extending the door pocket upward and sealing it would help. Im a newbie here old school guy and was wondering what to use to post some pictures?

Jimmie
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

is it an e36?

you can fit some BEASTY mids in the kicks

you can cut out the 5.25 slot to hold a 6.5 fairly easy...or if you want to do some work you can remove the whole fender, cut the back side to hold a 8"sub and then glass over the the new hole, and put the fender back one...

moving the mids to the doors is a super pain....to do that i would buy new door panels and completely re engineer them
Last edited by Bfowler on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Txsaxkat

Post by Txsaxkat »

Yes its a E36 I do have a set of the 6 1/2 sc 2ways I could take the 6 1/2 mid and use it on the 3 way set in the front the crossover I think is the same on both 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 set and I will just use the 5 1/4 in the rear for fill. I have in the past allways put the bigger mids in the rear because they fit easily but was told buy some pros that they are harder to tweek and tune. He said put the best and largest stuff you can fit up front. Thanks for the input. I have some spare door panels I can play with.

Jimmie
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

You let me know how that Eclipse 3-way sounds. I've toyed with the idea of getting them myself.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Txsaxkat

Post by Txsaxkat »

Allright I got the three way component set in and was running them on a M50 it was allright but they needed more power so I picked up a zapco driving force 350 cheap and that amp sounds fantastic it made the speakers sound great. I have a soundsteam spl 12 in a ported box run by channel 1&2 bridged and the sub wired up 1 1/2 to 2 ohms they say its 3 ohms per side. I dont even have rear speakers in yet and dont really care right now because it sounds so good. The sound stage and imaging is the bomb. I will tweek it some more when I get a chance. Anyway I saw a set of these for sale tonight for 170.oo something for the money they rock! But like most decent speakers they only sound as good as the amp you run them with. When I was first turned on to eclipse seperates I was shocked at how good they performed compared to other top name brands and one of the reasons is the midbass drivers they really put out alot of midbass and go down pretty low and can take some abuse! I have also allways been a silk tweeter guy and these have aluminum but they are not to harsh. Also right now I have the 5 1/4s rolled off about 70htz.

Jimmie
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Thanks for the update.

A friend of mine bought a set of Eclipse point source speakers back in '95 and they sound amazing even today. I've always like the sound of the Eclipse speakers which is why I'm considering them (the 6 1/2 3-way set) for my next set.

PG's new high end speakers better be right on the money (price, sound, looks, build, and the wait) and I'll buy them, but I guess it's going to be a while for their 3-way set to come out still. TIME will tell.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Txsaxkat

Post by Txsaxkat »

I hear ya. I finally finished the recap on my ms 250 and replaced my zapco 350 with the ms and its awsome! It has been years since I used the 250 and now I remember why I bought it new back in 1990. It improved the eclipse speakers even more they are flat in the mid range when before they were a little extended in the mids and the bottum was not as full. The point source are coaxials I think and are good but the seperates are even better. Before I bought the eclipse I was looking at the dls.

Jimmie
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

isntt eh dome like 1.5 " on that set?

thats far to small
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Txsaxkat

Re: Eclipse SC 8355 3 way components

Post by Txsaxkat »

This was a long time back but trust me and dont buy the eclipse stuff Im going with DLS gothia 6.3 and bridge my m44 on them. Anybody have some feedback on the gothia speakers?

Jimmie