So, today I out grew some of my car audio gear.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

So, today I out grew some of my car audio gear.

Post by mr tibbs »

I had a HO alt installed today and when the mechanic called me up to tell me it was done he also told me that he had blown the fuse in the upgrade wire that I had provided for him. He told me that he tested the alt before he installed it and at idle it was pushing around 100 amps. He said I probobly would want to replace that fuse with a bigger one. No big deal I thought, but upon further research AGU fuses only go up to 60 amps I believe. I had to scramble and buy an ANL fuse holder with the bigger ANL fuses to get up to a bigger fuse! I can no longer use any of my AGU fuse holders!! I never thought that I would be running enough juice to warrant anything bigger than the AGU's, I guess I was wrong! I now have 2 ANL's under the hood, I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or not! :twisted:
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

What are you running to warrant dual ANL fuses under the hood. I have a single 200 amp fuse running my 1/0 wire at the battery.
REALLY!?
"Im not even supposed to be here today!"-Dante Hicks
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

agu can be found in 00 amp ones
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I have 1 ANL going to the 1\0 that feeds my amps and now I have to get a 2nd for the HO alt. If the AGU's went up to 125-150 I would just use what I have. :cry:
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

Or you could just get the resetable circuit breaker, makes working on the system a very simple push of the button. Really though, unless you have major electrical issues you should never pop the fuse. I typically only kept 200 amp ones in stock. They are pricy but in the long run a good investment. Do yourself a favor, dont cheap it. Get a good waterproof one.
REALLY!?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Agreed... you really should get a circuit breaker between the alternator and battery. Just imagine if you blew the fuse on the highway somewhere... after a couple of minutes on your battery, you will have no charge, and you will be stranded.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Hontzo_MD wrote:Or you could just get the resetable circuit breaker, makes working on the system a very simple push of the button. Really though, unless you have major electrical issues you should never pop the fuse. I typically only kept 200 amp ones in stock. They are pricy but in the long run a good investment. Do yourself a favor, dont cheap it. Get a good waterproof one.
Yeah buddy, I'm way ahead of ya! I allready ordered one with (2) 150 ANL fuses. Nice and waterproof, just like the other one. I really try to do things right the first times so I don't have to do things twice, but every now and then things happen. Like as soon as summer hits I'm going to redo my whole trunk! :hurr:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

stipud wrote:Agreed... you really should get a circuit breaker between the alternator and battery. Just imagine if you blew the fuse on the highway somewhere... after a couple of minutes on your battery, you will have no charge, and you will be stranded.
Ummm, nope, that is why you add to the existing wires instead of replace them. Right now I am running on the existing wire because I'm out of AGU fuses. Basically I just did this to get home. I rarely even drive the car on the weekdays anymore. :wink:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

So the point of running one fused and one unfused connection to the same terminal is...?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

stipud wrote:So the point of running one fused and one unfused connection to the same terminal is...?
Backup to get you home! :wink: Honestly I'm not quite sure. I have always done my "Big 3" wires like this. I guess that is just how I understood it, add to the existing wires, not replace. It really did save my ass tonight. The mechanic I go to is about 75 miles from my house. If I didn't have that existing wire hooked up I probobly would not have made it home! :cry:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

This is why I just run unfused power from the alternator. There's no stock fuse, so why add one now?

http://photo.stipud.com/stereo/saab/battery-connect.JPG

The factory alternator wire is disconnected from the new alternator. It is only there to provide power to the external regulator. :lol:

Better safe than sorry I suppose, unless that safety is what makes you sorry, which sucks too.. Hrm. :-s
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

i'm pretty sure that the factory wires in most vehicles between the alternator and battery have fusible links for circuit protection.
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

Ive upgraded several of my vehicles, I dont remember pulling out fusible from any of them. Ok, so In theory if you have both a fused and unfused wire on the same path you are going to have some serious shit go down if it goes out. The rating on those fuses is they will take a spike of 200% for a certain amount of time,( a few seconds) if that happens and you have a short, that wire is typically going to melt down potentially causing more issues. The current is going to take the path of least resistance. End result=FIRE. FIRE=BAD.
REALLY!?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Well, today I got the new fuse holder in and low and behold, the system is louder!! I must have been starving the amps pretty bad. :( O'well, now I feel a lot more comfortable upgrading the x600.1 to a x1200.1. :lol:
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

mr tibbs wrote:Well, today I got the new fuse holder in and low and behold, the system is louder!! I must have been starving the amps pretty bad. :( O'well, now I feel a lot more comfortable upgrading the x600.1 to a x1200.1. :lol:
keep the 600
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Mastiff wrote:
mr tibbs wrote:Well, today I got the new fuse holder in and low and behold, the system is louder!! I must have been starving the amps pretty bad. :( O'well, now I feel a lot more comfortable upgrading the x600.1 to a x1200.1. :lol:
keep the 600
Not really an option, the 1200.1 is allready on the way. I am curious as to why you think I should keep the 600.1 though.
jkrob21

Post by jkrob21 »

dedlyjedly wrote:i'm pretty sure that the factory wires in most vehicles between the alternator and battery have fusible links for circuit protection.
Iv'e never seen a fuse on the charge wire from alt to battery on any car that Iv'e worked on. :lol: Interesting Idea though.
2006 USACI World Finals Basic Pro World Champion.

2005 USACI World Finals Basic Consumer 3rd place.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

not a fuse, but an actual section of the wire that is designed to fail before the remainder of the circuit and thus open the circuit just like a normal fuse. if it went, there would still be damage that has to be repaired, but it would keep the entire cable from going up in flames.

here's a link to better describe what i'm talking about
http://www.carcare.org/Electrical/fusible_link.shtml
i didn't realize that manufacturers have all but done away with this type of circuit protection. they can be so hard to pinpoint that i didn't even notice they're not utilized anymore.
hawaiianbasshead

Post by hawaiianbasshead »

Hontzo_MD wrote:What are you running to warrant dual ANL fuses under the hood. I have a single 200 amp fuse running my 1/0 wire at the battery.
a single one of my autotek mm4000.1ds draws around 400amps... I ran two. does this warrant me a dual anl holder? :lol: I actually used no fuses even at amps for that :D or for my extra batts...