MPS power supply transformer repair

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bogart

Post by bogart »

I was visualizing it being something like an esr actually....boy, I missed the barn altogether.....
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

bogart wrote:I have an os 2125 that had a rail cap take a shit and lite the board up...both of the torrids look to be solid to me.....Do you want em? I can pull em out as I am still harvesting parts of the board itself.....if ya need em I will sell em to ya already wound and all you got to do is plunk em in...

you wouldn't have the sexy 2250 cores...but she would be a runner
Bogart, that is a great offer. If I cannot get one of these matched up from CWS I will gladly purchase your pair of transformers. I will see if I can get a proper reading off this old and busted core I have and go from there.

Eric, thanks for trying to measure your core!
oldschoolfan

transformer

Post by oldschoolfan »

Ok, update to my old thread.

I finally found and purchased a core from CWS Bytemark. It is a F-193A-F and cost 10.50 not including shipping etc. It is almost identical in dimensions to a MS2250 core. Same dimensions as the one that came from this very odd, we think it's an MS2125, amp.

I wound it and installed it twice. Yeah, I read my own diagram backwards the first time. So it is all together, looks great, ready to test.

Here are some pics of the finished product. I will report in after testing too of course.
Attachments
finishedbottom.JPG
finishedbottom.JPG (136.83 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Finishedtop.JPG
Finishedtop.JPG (174.23 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

:shock: nice work :thumleft:
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Looks like you've got one less connection soldered in?
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

stipud wrote:Looks like you've got one less connection soldered in?
Yes it does look that way. I should fill that hole in. That empty hole was there from the start. It is actually the other transformer that I replaced. If you look at the other 2125's on page one of this thread you will see that hole is not populated. Those blank holes around the transformer get used on the 2250's.
oldschoolfan

Re: MPS power supply transformer repair

Post by oldschoolfan »

Well, it is finished. My most excellent friend Phil came by yesterday with a power supply and silly scope to test it out. And, it works. 340 watts per channel into two ohms. Woo hoo! My first more serious electronics repair, successful. I still don't understand it all but I can replace parts!
Attachments
dscn3386.JPG
dscn3385.JPG