MS amps coils on speaker lead

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
scottn29

MS amps coils on speaker lead

Post by scottn29 »

The wire coils on the speaker wires inside the amp are for filtering purposes correct. Has anybody tried to not use them?
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

great question
I have always seen them on the ms275 but never new what they are for
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

they are there on the 2125/2250 to, just on the board instead of the wires
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The amps work without them, but it is best to keep them there.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
kg1961
Got wood?

iii

Post by kg1961 »

good call i didn't think twice about that on the bigger boards
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

Eric D wrote:The amps work without them, but it is best to keep them there.
I am looking at removing them or trying to permanently mount them somewhere if I do this sink thing I am talking about. It would look so much better if they were removed. Is there anything you could replace them with that is smaller that would accomplish the same thing?
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

I have made custom mounts for my MS-275's coils. The wires are also gone. In their place are solid copper conductors, soon to be gold plated and terminated in gold plugs. The coils are now suspended over the board right next to each other in a line, clamped properly onto the copper. The actual amp itself is 100% unmodified and it can be swapped back in a minute if required. It looks pretty sweet!

I have other custom made internal parts going in soon too. Such as laser cut individual FET clamps. I may have a spare set if your interested. Pictures won't be posted until it's all finished though. My gold plater is away for a week too. So if you can wait?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The solid copper conductor idea is an impressive one. I had some ides of this in the past, but I have no source for gold plating, or even getting the brass or copper parts. I hate how crappy looking the MS250, MS275, and MQ430 style amps look wit the loose wires and heat shrunk stuff in them.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

KUB3 wrote:I have made custom mounts for my MS-275's coils. The wires are also gone. In their place are solid copper conductors, soon to be gold plated and terminated in gold plugs. The coils are now suspended over the board right next to each other in a line, clamped properly onto the copper. The actual amp itself is 100% unmodified and it can be swapped back in a minute if required. It looks pretty sweet!

I have other custom made internal parts going in soon too. Such as laser cut individual FET clamps. I may have a spare set if your interested. Pictures won't be posted until it's all finished though. My gold plater is away for a week too. So if you can wait?
Can you post some pics for a visual reference? Would be appreciated.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

Eric D wrote:The solid copper conductor idea is an impressive one. I had some ides of this in the past, but I have no source for gold plating, or even getting the brass or copper parts. I hate how crappy looking the MS250, MS275, and MQ430 style amps look wit the loose wires and heat shrunk stuff in them.
I agree 100% on that one, I could live with the wires in the 2125/2250

I am thinking about puting some Kimber or Cardas in there for both signal input and speakers leads. I wont be using the MS terminals either. I will be using something along these lines

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=1213
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Well, those terminals are indeed nice, but they are just so overkill.

PG amps are great, but we are not talking $10,000 amps here. Putting $30 each terminals in them with high end Kimber or Cardas cables is like putting chrome wired rims on a station wagon...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You say that like its a bad thing...

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

You win.

How about pillars on a mobile home?
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Eric D wrote:Putting $30 each terminals in them with high end Kimber or Cardas cables is like putting chrome wired rims on a station wagon...
I like chromed rims on my station wagon... :wink:

Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

I will never own chrome rims again. They look great, but no matter what you do, they will eventually flake. Polished aluminum is the way to go IMO.
MS275, MS2250ta, MS2125TA, Bandit, M44, ZX200, EQ215, EQ230, TX2, PDL1, TBAT Trans+Recvr w/cable
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

Eric D wrote:Well, those terminals are indeed nice, but they are just so overkill.

PG amps are great, but we are not talking $10,000 amps here. Putting $30 each terminals in them with high end Kimber or Cardas cables is like putting chrome wired rims on a station wagon...
I said something along those lines, I would definitely find some cheaper ones. I am kinda pursuing a tru amp look for it. The speaker wire is not their high end stuff, I think it was like $50 for the wire I needed.
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

scottn29 wrote:
Can you post some pics for a visual reference? Would be appreciated.

Once it's all finished I'll post a new thread :)
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

The coils on the speaker output wires have been explained as to there function in the amp, anybody got a link to that thread?

When its said its better to leave them in the amp,alot of us are still wondering why?

What are the pro's and con's of removing them?

I too have thought of removing them and replacing them with cnc'd gold plated copper bars..
Square 1
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The coils filter out very high frequencies. These frequencies are too high for use to hear, but the amp may still be producing them.

What I have been told is that by preventing the amp from producing these high frequencies, it will have better control over the speaker it is driving, which should lead to better sound. But I cannot confirm this.

All I know is that my MS275s sound great without them, but PG would not have put them there if they did not improve something.
bogart

Post by bogart »

that bmw looks nearly like the one that tried to jack my system...nice car...

I was thinking just cut the black shrink wrap off and use the clear stuff that is used on rc batteries so you can see the inductor
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

bogart wrote:that bmw looks nearly like the one that tried to jack my system...nice car...
Hopefully it was not THAT car, I guess it would be more fun for me to pay you a visit rather that steal your system :wink:
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
bogart

Post by bogart »

I hear ya pedi...when the hell are you coming over here....I know itchy is talking bout it....

Be cool to meet you after knowing ya for a few years...

I would love to come to Norway....someday my friend....I will make it to northern Europe....