My Eurosports sound like chit

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ShockTherapy

My Eurosports sound like chit

Post by ShockTherapy »

Hi everyone. After replacing my QSD-216 2-way set with the CDT 3way eurosport set I'm bummed. I'm sure it's my install that is to blame but tell me something. The vehicle is a 99 silverado. I mounted 1" plywood behind the facory speaker grilles and installed the midbass and midrange in them. The midrange is poopy, the midbass is sloppy and I'm not sure if the drt-26 silk tweeters are supposed to be on-axis or off. I put in some really well recorded music with live drum solos and the Quarts sounded so good! They were however mounted in thre factory location and mounted to the metal of the door. The euros are mounted to that baffle which is mounted to the plastic door panel. i have deadening on the door metal and minimal on the plastic door panels. This is so depressing. would my install have this much of an impact on the sound? My truck literally sounds like I have a Sony Explode component set in there. HELP!

The picture is before i added a little more deadening to the plastic panel. not much but i added maybe 50% more than you see in the pic.
Attachments
035.jpg
035.jpg (194.67 KiB) Viewed 5639 times
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Audible Physics XR3m (mid)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

can you be alittle more descriptive as to what is lacking? Telling us it sounds like shit and showing us how it mounts makes it hard to tell what could be wrong.

Have you double checked to make sure that you do not have any of the speakers wired out of phase?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
SolacE

Post by SolacE »

What kind of power are you putting on them? The crossover network probably eats a ton of your power. Also with these I believe it would be best to have the midbass in the door and the midrange and tweeter in a kickpanel. You have a ton of room to work with in a silverado. Placing the mid and tweet in a kickpanel sealed would allow for much more accurate response. Having both in the door they are sharing the same space which opens you up to experience wave cancellation.
[img]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/solaceravr/Misc/CopCar.jpg[/img]
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

I don't think mounting them to a flimsy door panel with huge holes in it is ideal for a start. I'd make some effort.

1. My 3" mids are mounted in 100% sealed pods of the correct internal volume. Yours are free air mounted into a door with holes in it!

2. The tweeter should be next to the mid range.

3. The mid bass will cause havoc being mounted on a flimsy panel like that. It must be 100% sealed. Mine are in birch boxes:

Unless you do it properly you may as well get xplod! Don't take offence, but your instal is very poor
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

Click on whichever driver you have to see the relevant enclosure specs in PDF format:

http://www.cdtaudio.com/custom_components_08.htm
ShockTherapy

Post by ShockTherapy »

KUB3 wrote:I don't think mounting them to a flimsy door panel with huge holes in it is ideal for a start. I'd make some effort.

1. My 3" mids are mounted in 100% sealed pods of the correct internal volume. Yours are free air mounted into a door with holes in it!

2. The tweeter should be next to the mid range.

3. The mid bass will cause havoc being mounted on a flimsy panel like that. It must be 100% sealed. Mine are in birch boxes:

Unless you do it properly you may as well get xplod! Don't take offence, but your instal is very poor
Those enclosures are beautiful! And I agree... The install I did was poor. I'm actually pretty embarassed by it but I have not had a lot of experience in fabrication. I wouldn't know where to start but I do want to do it! any help would be much appreciated. I could post as many pics as possible for reference. I hate wasting the potential of these beautiful speakers.
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

its ok man dont worry about it, i need some new refrigerator magnets just send em to my place for what you got in em. :mrgreen:
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

its not your install- you replaced really good speakers, with so-so speakers
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

Yeah I take it all back. Just listen to the resident expert :lol:
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

:lol:
paintguy

Re: My Eurosports sound like chit

Post by paintguy »

ShockTherapy wrote: would my install have this much of an impact on the sound?
Install is as important, if not more so, than equipment choice. Half decent stuff that's been installed perfectly can often sound better than high end gear that hasn't.

I don't think your door panel mounting is sturdy enough, and playing drivers with different frequency ranges in the same air space (the door) isn't ideal either.
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

yeah, I guess your right- thats why eurosports are tearing it up all over Iasca-
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

it's also not great to have the tweeter and midrange so far apart, and the tweeter that high in the door would image poorly. I think kick panels for the midrange and tweeter would yield a lot better results. And get that midbass in a nice strong dampened baffle.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

davewaibel wrote:yeah, I guess your right- thats why eurosports are tearing it up all over Iasca-

So they got to do good in the competition lanes to sound good?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

davewaibel wrote:yeah, I guess your right- thats why eurosports are tearing it up all over Iasca-
Do you enjoy posting useless information, or do you just like coming across as an unintelligent redneck toothless fuck :hmm:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:
Do you enjoy posting useless information, or do you just like coming across as an unintelligent redneck toothless fuck :hmm:
Whoah what on earth is this for???? There is no need to make this argument personal. They're just speakers for gods sake...
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:
oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:
Whoah what on earth is this for???? There is no need to make this argument personal. They're just speakers for gods sake...
Fine, I'll bite my tongue!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Yeah dont let that guy get to you, he probably likes square woofers. :P
On a very serious note, I am disappointed that the speakers didn't come out better. I really was expecting you to give them a decent review. I hope you didn't cut the holes in your doors just for those tweeters. FYI my dad has a new gmc with a factory bose(yeah I know) but he has tweeters up in the a pillars firing into the windshield and it actually images pretty well. they arent playing a very wide freq. range but they are lifting the stage alittle.
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

:lol: :lol:
Square 1
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

Just look at the links I provided.

The 3" needs to be in a SEALED enclosure, not much bigger than a rubick cube internally. As it is, it's playing into the whole door cavity. Plus the midbass pressure will cause havoc with it's cone movements.

Also the holes in the door panel will let the front and rear waves of all speakers cancel out to varying degrees. Unless that door is totally sealed and structurally solid it will always sound poor. That particular midbass creates a huge amount of energy that has to go somewhere. As it is that energy will be going into rattling your flimsy panel to hell.

Properly installed these will sound phenomenal.
ShockTherapy

Post by ShockTherapy »

KUB3 wrote:Just look at the links I provided.

The 3" needs to be in a SEALED enclosure, not much bigger than a rubick cube internally. As it is, it's playing into the whole door cavity. Plus the midbass pressure will cause havoc with it's cone movements.

Also the holes in the door panel will let the front and rear waves of all speakers cancel out to varying degrees. Unless that door is totally sealed and structurally solid it will always sound poor. That particular midbass creates a huge amount of energy that has to go somewhere. As it is that energy will be going into rattling your flimsy panel to hell.

Properly installed these will sound phenomenal.

I've got to say that until I read some of this post I was expecting intelligent advice one after the next. I don't want to be the source of some stupid argument about speakers. I'm a 37 year old man... If I wanted that kind of drama I would go back to Carstereo.com. There is no doubt that the Eurosports are phenominal speakers... I just took a bunch of shortcuts so I could at least "hear them". This is against my normal install preferences. The QSDs were installed in the doors with 3/4" MDF baffles and they sounded great! If the Eurosports had a face then my install slapped them across it. I will be removing the back part of the plastic panel behind the grille.... I am then going to mount a 1" thick baffle sealed to the door and deadened to the extreme. I purchased 1/2" MDF yasterday to build a small airtight enclosure in the door for the 4" ES-4. The tweeter will be mounted right next to the 4" angled for imaging. I will also be angling the 4". Thanks for the brutal honesty and for keeping me in check when it comes to my system. laziness can sometimes make you cut corners... I'll post pics in the coming week of my results. Thanks again for keeping it cool and providing some good honest opinions.
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Hehe, i know all about cutting corners. i was driving around with door pods that were about a burgandy color in a tan interior because I didnt feel like finishing them. :shock:
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

If you can wait 24 hours or so I'll post a pic of my 3" enclosures. Essentially they are in small sealed pods, with 12mm birch construction. At the moment they are in primer only...

Don't rush it :) I spent a few hours here and there building my parts up taking my time. Sure, I could have finished about a month ago, but then it would have sounded like garbage. Any hifi system is only as good as the worst element. And that includes the instal!
ShockTherapy

Post by ShockTherapy »

waynehead wrote:it's also not great to have the tweeter and midrange so far apart, and the tweeter that high in the door would image poorly. I think kick panels for the midrange and tweeter would yield a lot better results. And get that midbass in a nice strong dampened baffle.
Here's a picture of how far they were apart. It just doesn't seem that far apart to me. I'm a little stuck considering that the tweeters are mounted in the holes that were cut specifically for the Quarts. If I move the tweeter down I will have 2 gaping holes in my panels. And wrecking yards are not an option... I had to search for 2 weeks last time to find even one of those panels in that color. anyhow... It should look a lot like this when I'm done but with all the right stuff done inside.
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
Last edited by ShockTherapy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

If you are running those passively, it might be best to mount the kick and the tweet in the kick panels. Usually running a passive 3-way works out best like this as you equalize PLD's (path length distance) which is basically time alignment. Midrange in the door is not ideal.

Just an option I am throwing out.