big RSD box

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

slc72005 wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:

scott go sealed, to have more bottom end then and just do some eqing w/ your eq232 to get some of the db spike from the ported box.
the eq232 is only running to the ti elites, so that wouldnt work
What a waste!!! There's no point in half of that EQ if thats what you're doing. Get an active crossover and fix that if you ever want to have a balanced sound.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

BH wrote:I run a box a lil bigger than 2 cubes sealed and love it.
you guys are all missing 1 big point here.

my sub is firring into the trunk, the trunk is sealed up.

all i want to do is get my port tuning down, thats all.

the box is staying int he car, im not building a new one, i would have to tear apart my trunk and start over, and thats not going to happen, so if i can just get some help to get my tunng down lower i wqould appreciate it very much thank you.

i will not go sealed as i do not lioke sealed box's plain and simple
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

BH wrote:
slc72005 wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:

scott go sealed, to have more bottom end then and just do some eqing w/ your eq232 to get some of the db spike from the ported box.
What a waste!!! There's no point in half of that EQ if thats what you're doing. Get an active crossover and fix that if you ever want to have a balanced sound.
not really since the ti elites up front will go down to about 60hz. the only thing that needs to be done is i need to get more low end bass, everything else is perfect fine and how i want it to sound
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Well, since Scott knows best, why do you need our advice if you're going to shoot everyone down? Go stick random scraps of wood in your box until it makes you happy.

Or you could take Errin's advice. If your sub has more displacement than he stated, it will only sound better. The RSD was designed to play low in a big sealed box, so your current SPL tuning is exactly the opposite thing that speaker was designed for. That woofer should be run sealed, but if you must have it ported, a smaller, longer port with a VERY low tuning frequency is ideal.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

stipud wrote:That woofer should be run sealed,
i did have rsd's ran sealed, i just didnt like the sound and output of it.
stipud wrote:but if you must have it ported, a smaller, longer port with a VERY low tuning frequency is ideal.
that is what im looking for, the overall sound is good, i just need to get more low end bass thats why i started this thread so i can get my box tuned lower

im not trying to shoot anyone down, but everyone is suggesting stuff that i dont need to change.

like the eq232, nothing needs to be done tuning wise to my front stage, i love the sound of it right now, so i see no need to change it, but at the same time if the need arises after getting my box properly tuned low i see a need to tune the front stage differnetly then yes i wil do try those suggestions.

the reason i started this thread was to get my tuning down so i have more low end bass from the RSD, i have been saying for a while now that i want more low end bass, so im asking how to get my tunng down using the same box i have. thats all i wanted to accomplish with this thread

you have to remember what sounds good to one person might not sound good to another, i know alot of you guys like the sound of sealed box's, i prefer the sound of a ported box, especially with teh RSD, it is probably one of the best sounding subs i have ever owned.

i know the reason you guys are saying go sealed becasue the sub will play lower better then ported, but sealed also sacrafices "loudness", im trying to get a good medium between SQ and loudness.

hopefully this makes more sence of what im after
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

slc72005 wrote:
That was 3 10's not the 12. Also you have different power now.
slc72005 wrote:
stipud wrote:but if you must have it ported, a smaller, longer port with a VERY low tuning frequency is ideal.
that is what im looking for, the overall sound is good, i just need to get more low end bass thats why i started this thread so i can get my box tuned lower
My recommendation still holds true, make the opening smaller and lengthen the port.........that will drop it lower smoothing out your current response.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

One reason I say go sealed is you probably won't like the sound of a deeply tuned SQ ported box. Ideally your tuning frequency should be well under 30Hz... 20-25 somewhere. The side effect of having a tuned box (especially with a low frequency) is that you can lose the impact of the bass... it just becomes this "woom woom", instead of "boom boom". Group delay also increases substantially, so your bass notes end up out of phase and out of sync with your front stage. A deep ported box will ideally sound a lot like a sealed one, but with 10 times the brown note.

I think ported boxes are great for higher tuning. I ran Xmax 10's ported at 40Hz and they absolutely CLOBBERED me, with both tightness and output that blew my mind. It couldn't play everything though, so I switched to two Xmax 12's in a sealed setup. These could get damn near as loud, lacked a bit of the upper bass tightness, but could handle low bass much better. This was again improved by switching to the IDMax... I can now handle bass flutters without it turning into a wash of distorted bass. However, the high end punch is muted (this is good because it blends better, but bad because it's less hilarious), and the output is substantially less.

With how naturally low the RSDs play, there isn't much point in porting the setup low because that will just make an incredibly biased low end. This means your upper bass will sound normal, but once a low note hits it will blow everything away in output. Coupled with the in-car gain, you are going to have nothing but brown note when you port these subs.

Running two 12's sealed should get you a nice midpoint between a low ported box and that output and punch you are looking for. I know you didn't like the RSD 10's sealed, but those are 10's... there is a HUGE difference between the sound of 10's and 12's in sealed setups.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

do what bh said...

do this as it is the best solution I can think of...rip the carpet off the box... cut a piece of would to seal the port up. Then go buy one of the areo ports I showed you (they can be had at PE). THen you can fix it for a nice low port., all you'll have to do is cut a 2" to 4" port depending on how big you want. Also the aero ports look far nicer IMO. then re-carpet done...

also dotn down the rsd sealed...as your box and three woofer were out of phase or had some other weird issue and you just gave up on them. The RSd is a better sealed woofer as its Q is .55, and the general rule of thumb is .45 and below usually makes for better ported woofer.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i also agree, TRY the pair sealed
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

BH wrote:
slc72005 wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:

dude, there is zero balance in his system he has his eq sliders in the ofrm of a smily face :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

that is what i recommended from the beginning, to just
make a smaller port opening. leave the box alone and just tell me
what you want to tune it at and ill tell you how much square opening
you need to make the port..
you can do what ever you want on sealing it or closing it off.
i would just cut a piece that goes all the way to the back of the port and
divide it with that then seal it from the front
but then again i would build a new box.

maybe you should try to find a way to vent someof the bass into the car.

good luck.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

thinking about something like this brenzbmr@sb

have a port come out the sides of the box and put an elbow on it then angle it so it comes out on either side of the amps (see pic below to get an idea of what im talking about)

Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

It looks like you have your sub pretty much sealed in the trunk. Why not face it and the port inwards, mount the amps for viewing in the trunk, and finish sealing the sub into the interior. This should sound and work a loottttt better.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

VW337 wrote:
slc72005 wrote:
That was 3 10's not the 12. Also you have different power now.
slc72005 wrote:
My recommendation still holds true, make the opening smaller and lengthen the port.........that will drop it lower smoothing out your current response.
I realize its in a sealed off trunk but I still worry about it what is the vent velocity after shrinking the port?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

slc72005 wrote:thinking about something like this brenzbmr@sb

have a port come out the sides of the box and put an elbow on it then angle it so it comes out on either side of the amps (see pic below to get an idea of what im talking about)

Scott, you need to slide the Basscube a little leftward so the edges line up with the XO.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

BH wrote:
I realize its in a sealed off trunk but I still worry about it what is the vent velocity after shrinking the port?
It would be about 9m/s @ 20hz, which is not too bad.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

well now i kinda see your delimma

yeah running some ports outside and using elbows to bring them in the
car would be cool, but how hard is it to actually turn the box around
so that the sub fires into the car?
that may improve your output and sound by simply firing it into the cab
i never did like firing subs into trunks but on some cars it worked and some it didnt. i personally take the time to seal the front of the woofer from the rear of trunk so i dont have any phase issues
it takes time but to me it keeps the vibrations down and also keeps all bass energy in the car.

so maybe bringing in some extra port into the sides of the amp will help.
but you maystill have to rebuild your enclosure to make it work.

keep us up on what you decide.
aloha
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

brenzbmr@sb wrote:well now i kinda see your delimma

before i installed this box i had 2 rsd 10's ported and i tried facing the cabin and facing the trunk. they both were about the same loudness , facing the trunk a little less, but not a lot, and facing the trunk actually improved the sound quality, the reason for this i think is that it wasnt as loud so i was actually hearing the differnt tones from the woofer (probably didnt word that correct but you get the idea)
brenzbmr@sb wrote: but how hard is it to actually turn the box around
so that the sub fires into the car?
the problem that i run into if i did face the sub into the cabin is this, rigth now were the wall that i have built that lines the trunk with the woofer in it is flush with the trunk lid, if i were to switch the sub box around and mount the amps so they face the inside of the trunk the amps will stick out and not be flush with the trunk lid,and if i did make the liner stick out a bit i wouldnt be able to get the spare tire out of the trunk then. make the box not as deep you say?

not really feasable the box isnt exactly real deep now so if i shortened it by 3 inches (enough to mount the amps flush) when i mount the sub in there the magnet will be just about touching the back wall (about 1-2 inches from it) so i would think i would get too much reflection off of the back wall, and i couldnt make up the loss of box size by making it wider because it is as wide as it can go

so the install has some limitations on size as im trying to keep my trunk functional and clean
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

ok so here is my idea for the port tuning issue, i did some measuremants and this idea would work size wise

i can make 2 small areo ports (2inch or 3 inch ones) or 1 larger one (4inch , 5inch, maybe even a 6 inch one) and then mount the amps on an angle like in the pic.

i think this would work out pretty good because i would basically be making a bandpass box out of the trunk since the trunk is sealed up pretty good and then have the port(s) firring into the cabin. that way i have best of both worlds :)

when you look at the picture the spot were i would put the port is pretty ideal because as you

know the woofer is not centered in the box, in the picture the sub woud be mounted directly behind where the RSD 500.4 is so the port is on the other side of the box.

also i have never used an areo port really before , i have always had slot port box's. so how do they sound compared to a slot port? i would think that there would be less port noise since it is a smoother surface

what you guys think about this idea?

Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

the set up in the pic would definantly be the easiest to do since sealing up the slot port and taking the inside port is fairly easy.

also would it be better if i used 1 port or 2 ports?

and what size(s) should i use

and how long should the port(s) be in length? (keep in mind that i know you ideally dont want the port to end less then 2 inches from the box so the port(s) shouldnt be longer then 13 inches, i guess if i went with 1 big port i can put an elbow in it and angle it down towards the floor of the box, and then i would ba able to make the port about 4 inches longer for a total of 17 inches, well i can do the 17 inch long port for both since they will be off set from each other

i assume from what stipud said about tunning too low so my guess is i would want it to be tuned at about 32hz that way i have good blend of low end and upper midbass

thanks guys, hopefully after explaining the situation a little better you guys can see my install limitations and can help me out here
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

question is to you, are you gonna make a new box for these new ports?

if so then let us know and we can aid you in tuning it and getting your
port lenths,

due to the amount of displacement that aero port is gonna take up you
are gonna have more volume in your box if you make the exact same one. so you may be able to make it smaller (physicallly)
and still keep the same volume.

let us know.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

ill be keepint the same box box as its pretty easy to sela the port of that is in there.

so my box volume without any port would be 2.78cf

what size port(s) and how long woud the port(s) be?

and for bdubs after i seal up the port i will try it sealed, just to try it out :)
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

i acutally played w/ the rsd ported yesterday in the spl box pg rcommended.

that thing sounds like shit...but for a single sub it got silly loud. But once again the RSd survived abuse w/ sine waves for 30 mintues on a ms2250ta @ 2ohms :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

bdubs767 wrote:i acutally played w/ the rsd ported yesterday in the spl box pg rcommended.

that thing sounds like shit...but for a single sub it got silly loud.
thats wierd mine doesnt sound like shit at all, and its not silly loud either, well not compared to what i used to have in my car the MTX were alot louder and the kikcer l7's were a ton louder.
bdubs wrote: But once again the RSd survived abuse w/ sine waves for 30 mintues on a ms2250ta @ 2ohms :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
im planning on running a RSD 12DVC off of the RSD 1200.1, but im going to tune it down to about 1000rms so the amp and sub has more tehn enought headroom

but the more i look at teh pic of the back of the box that i drew up the more i like it.

the port being in the rear can actually work out real good for my car because in the back seats there is an arm rest that comes down in the middle, and its a hole that goes right through to the trunk so the port air will be able to move freely intot he cabin that way, and witht he sub being sealed int he trunk like it is i will basically have a bandbass box set-up, i think that will work out real nice for what i want to achieve.

i think thats the best thing to do, just need help on if i should use 1 big port or 2 smaller ports and how long they have to be
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]