MPH6300 up close and personal

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

To get the MPH6300 working probably requires replacing the input caps (as they are so old, they are probably leaking all over), then connecting power, ground, and remote to it.

Each of the 3 boards on the amp is an independent amplifier itself. We can see buss bars for power going to the boards, speaker wires going away, and RCA cables going to them. I have not seen REM wires, but they might be under the boards, or a separate buss bar I have not noticed. Either way I am sure they are there.

All the amp is missing is its processing, and it does not really need that. I suppose under the big panel area where the processor goes, the RCA inputs might not be connected to the RCA cables feeding the amp, or may be part of the "DIN" connector mentioned in the literature about the amp, but even if this is the case, something could be wired up to bypass that with little effort.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
eulogious
"Loogie"

Post by eulogious »

Eric D wrote:To get the MPH6300 working probably requires replacing the input caps (as they are so old, they are probably leaking all over), then connecting power, ground, and remote to it.

Each of the 3 boards on the amp is an independent amplifier itself. We can see buss bars for power going to the boards, speaker wires going away, and RCA cables going to them. I have not seen REM wires, but they might be under the boards, or a separate buss bar I have not noticed. Either way I am sure they are there.

All the amp is missing is its processing, and it does not really need that. I suppose under the big panel area where the processor goes, the RCA inputs might not be connected to the RCA cables feeding the amp, or may be part of the "DIN" connector mentioned in the literature about the amp, but even if this is the case, something could be wired up to bypass that with little effort.
I was thinking it wasn't missing anything "big" to get it to power up. Thanks for clarifying :)
KDC x869
MB Quart RVF-216 6.5
SLD44
white zx450v2
white zx500
white BassCUBE
RSdC124
ZP Fuse Distro
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

IIRC, it was up to the magazines as to weather or not the MPH6300's price was published. In the troubleshooting/soundoff section in those mags a LOT of people wrote in and said their part about that amp and it's pricing. I believe the reply was that they chose to publish it and the price and that it wasn't up to PG, PG gave them the option if they wanted to or not and 2 of the magz chose to because of it's MSRP being what it was.

Just wanted to clarify that.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

eulogious wrote:
ttocs wrote:he hooked it up to power, or it played? I could have sworn we have had discussions on here about what it would take to make it functional.....
Well, from what I remember, again don't recall clearly I was busy with the beautiful amp in front of me when we were talking about it's histroy, the MPH10K is the one that "doesn't" have a power supply, not the MPH6300. Maybe PG fired up the MPH6300 back in the day and it did work at some point, but it doesn't work now? That could be... I thought I remember fuzzy mentioning some bigass amp draw it made when powered up, so I am guessing it powered up and played based off the large amp draw...

I could be completely off on my facts here as well, I just want to throw that out there. Fuzzy showed me so much shit that I was really just trying to take it all in :) so I could be confusing my facts between so much of his cool shit. I don't want to start something that has already been covered to find out that I am a tool and completely wrong :lol:
ahh thats right, got my proto's mixed up....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

If I'm not mistaken, this amp DOES work. It has all the necessary parts to "work", it just won't do anything special. I imagine it would play quietly and get REALLY hot.
Boomshackalacka
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I just had it confused with the other one, my fault.....
CarAudioGuru

Re: MPH6300 up close and personal

Post by CarAudioGuru »

Wow, how old are these photos of the MP6300? And who has it now?? Man!!! haven't see that amp in over 16 yrs now.

Hand built (by me) at CES 1990 36 hours straight to finish the build. It is all real, other than:

1. The boards were to be 4 layer, but we only had time for 2 layer (so it WONT power up no matter what!!!)

2. The Crossover I built out of wood and bondo. And light steel for the crossover cover and all pots and switches are glued in.

Other than those minor details shes ready to roll :)

It was to be a real production amplifier, but after designing it and drawing it up 6 times as it got to be more and more real, I ran out of room for all the parts!!!

It would have taken another 6 months of engineering time to get this product done. Or I could have our guys design our full line of amplifiers in the same amount of time.

It would have been a berry berry bad investment in time and money. It COST $24,000 in parts to just build it. Not in time or anything else, just parts.

Cool product that never was. I did a lot of those :)
Larry Frederick
"Original PG Guy"
Drock

MPH6300 up close and personal

Post by Drock »

I would love to see this amp one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

CarAudioGuru wrote:Wow, how old are these photos of the MP6300? And who has it now?? Man!!! haven't see that amp in over 16 yrs now.

Cool product that never was. I did a lot of those :)
You have my attention.
CarAudioGuru

Post by CarAudioGuru »

We built it for CES 1990. It was as everyone figured out, our statement piece. It was to be a real production amplifier after the show. But at that time our resources were limited (not like 1996 when it was UNLIMITED!!). 7 employees hidden in a closed off area on the 2nd floor of Tom Peterson's Furniture store in Portland, Or. WE were lucky to get it to look as good as it DID (not now, it looked MUCH better in the beginning. But the travel it took killed it, it went on a WORLD tour in 1991. Against my wishes, I might add). WE actually had 10 orders from Singapore if I remember correctly. $500,000.00 in orders for 10 amplifiers. I told them NO. Actually HELL NO! We didn't have the man power or time to do it. (again, unlike 1996 we could have done it then but we were off or IBGT's by then :) Serious output parts!! Make's Krell look like Boss amplifiers :) We were going to go for it!!!)

BUT going public hurt and helped us. I couldn't go crazy (as usual) and do whatever I could draw on a napkin. Up till then (1996) I could do whatever my little heart desired :) It was good being KING......:)

But I also traveled like 100,000 -200,000 miles a year to 27 foreign countries, training, training, training. The "Yo Be HEALED stuff!" So I had no time to really develop product, not like the early 90's.

I get to do that now again at Diamond and Cerwin-Vega Mobile. So it all comes back full circle. They let me do pretty much whatever I want (look at Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro's! Or Diamond HEX amplifiers [WIMA capacitors, BurrBrown OpAmps, etc), basically 21st century M series amplifiers!!) And as I always say...Ya aint seen NOTHIN YET!! I got's more S#@t up my sleeves...Heh Heh......

Anyway...PG was the happening place, in the first 5 yrs I can honestly say our defective rate on amplifiers was LESS than 1%! NO car audio amplifier company can say that (with a straight face anyway)

But I quit in 2000 (after 10 yrs), and you know were PG went from there.

Sad actually............(I wonder what happened in the parallel universe??) :)
Larry Frederick
"Original PG Guy"
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Thanks for sharing some PG history. I enjoy hearing about how PG came to be and all of the cool little details that went on.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

^^^^^i concur rodeo, i love hearing the old pg employees explain things they did, saw, tried, and more so the whys
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats an awesome story! thanks for the write up!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

miss the old days when it was custom stuff.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

What about the 10K? Did you work on that project?
I still have BOTH in my possession BTW
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

It was stated, we haven't seen anything yet, more up the sleeve... what's up with that? I'm ready for some break thru tech..back to the future shit...
Square 1