MPH6300 up close and personal

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

MPH6300 up close and personal

Post by stipud »

While I was visiting Brian in Corvallis for the dabor, I had to make a stop through P-town to get some one-on-one time with the MPH6300. We haven't had many good pics of it yet so I thought some of you might appreciate a detailed look of this monster. Make no mistake: this amp is a complete beast. It weighs more than I do!

I uploaded all of my pics here:
http://photo.stipud.com/v/stereo/mph6300/

This one makes a nice wallpaper ;)
http://photo.stipud.com/d/13696-1/IMG_7204.jpg

Note you can get the full 10mp images by clicking on the picture once more after the thumbnails page.

A few of the highlights:
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

It has some nice cosmetic metal work, such as the tops to the inductors and the wire clamps. But aside from that plus the time required to design it, I'm not sure where the money went? Considering the hype and made up price list.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

That amp needs to have its capacitors replaced...

:P

On a more serious note, that is very impressive. I personally think it would work as well. Everything needed is right there exposed. If it were powered on though, I would use a 5A fuse first (which might actually blow from the idle current demands), then go to a 10A or 15A to use it.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

KUB3 wrote:It has some nice cosmetic metal work, such as the tops to the inductors and the wire clamps. But aside from that plus the time required to design it, I'm not sure where the money went? Considering the hype and made up price list.
so what would you think it would cost design and build one of these from the ground up?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

KUB3 wrote:It has some nice cosmetic metal work, such as the tops to the inductors and the wire clamps. But aside from that plus the time required to design it, I'm not sure where the money went? Considering the hype and made up price list.
If this were an actual production amp, I would guess it to be $2,000 to $3,000 in cost. It all depends on the quantity. All the metal work on this one was hand made, and probably hand assembled. It is not worth $99,000, but that price tag was for marketing purposes.

The closest amp to this is either the Reactor or the Octane LE as far as production complexity and cost is concerned. Both of which used off the shelf boards, but custom metal work, so they would be less in cost. However, the MPH6300 has custom boards, but not really a custom heatsink (from what I can tell in photos). I think the heatsink is the same extrusion as a MS, but I have no real evidence of that.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

so does the heat sink look like a normal ms amp? I have never seen the back or the other end
does it have a normal ms end cap with real gold letters..lol
very very nice
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Scratch that last half of my last post. The heatsink is not a MS heatsink.

This amp has 3 boards in it, each of which is a 2-channel on its own. That helps cut costs. Board development might have been pretty low, as each 2-channel board is really not any more complex than a M25 board is. Maybe even simpler.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

I agree Eric I remeber the total cost to built make the parts, gold and pay the staff to make it was some were in the 20k mark
Last edited by kg1961 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dontlookatme

Post by dontlookatme »

make it run!
3x ti600.2, 1x ti1000.2 (hidding in the closet),1x 6.5 ti elite comp (front), 1x 5.25 ti elite comp (back), 2x XO crossovers, 2x tantrumX dual 4 ohm, zero point full power+ ground wiring
6x pc-ccc zero point rca
storage for the rest of my stuff
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

I asked Harold about this piece when I meet up with him this last friday to get my TI and PLD1 stuff from him!

I would love to see this in person!
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

ttocs wrote:
so what would you think it would cost design and build one of these from the ground up?

No idea. How much is a competent amp designer paid per hour? How long would they spend designing this? Multiply the two. Hence why I said aside from the design costs.

In reality a company would most likely have their existing staff design this in down time. So it should cost very little to PG in terms of design. They clearly did not expect to sell any, so it was pure marketing anyway.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Tom, these photos are a big help! Thanks for posting them.

What I am seeing is 6 almost completely independent channels. Each channel has the following...

1 Input nulling toroid shared with another channel
6 2,200uF (most likely) supply caps shared with another channel
1 PWM controller for the single channel
2 TO3 transistors for power supply switching
1 transformer
1 power supply filtration coil
2 high speed rail capacitors (one for +, one for -)
2 high capacity rail capacitors (one for +, one for -)
2 TO3 output transistors
2 High quality heatsinked Dale emitter resistors

Now, my numbers don't match the numbers on the info about the amp. 18 power supply transistors? That would mean 3 per power supply, and I have never seen an amp with an odd number. You need even numbers so you get a balanced "push-pull" on the transformer. Maybe it only switches in one direction. This would be less efficient, but might reduce power supply noise.

24 output transistors? I count only 12 heatsinked resistors and 12 other large resistors standing off the board near the heatsinked ones. I suppose there could be two types per channel, for a total of 4 transistors per channel, but using different resistors does not make much sense to me. They should be matched in brand, type, and value, for load balancing.
marko

Post by marko »

kinda reminds me of a sony xm2100r, a money no object project only sony had the balls to produce them and sell 'em :D
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

that amp has more gold than all of Mister.T's gold chains combined maybe thats where the money went. i cant help but wonder the actual output of that amp.of course i could justify hooking up my 300 amp alternator to power that battelship.i guess you would need more than a 300 amp alternator with 400 amp max current draw if they even make a more powerful alt now. what speakers would you use on it and could they handle it im sure with that low of a thd on that size amp i could find a way.
spiritofnorway

Post by spiritofnorway »

What is under the big top ...
Photo Please :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
My instalation.
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19833

Buyer & Seller Ratings
http://phoenixphorum.com/spiritofnorway-vt10627.html
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Sorry I totally forgot to get a picture of the backside :doh:

There is nothing under that plate... there is actually a gap on the top of that amplifier. I think this is where the crossover probably would have slotted in, if it was ever made.

Harold, does the wooden mockup crossover fit in there at all? Also could you get these guys a pic of the top? Come to think of it I think Paul got one.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

How do RCA signals make their way to the boards? I don't see anything for this off hand.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Never mind, I figured it out...
GX3

Post by GX3 »

:-# :)
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I only snapped 3 pictures, but here's what I got.

Boomshackalacka
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

After seeing those three photos, that amp is kind of a piece of junk.

But don't get me wrong or anything. It is the look that "only a mother could love". Despite the downright awful fit and finish, I still want it just as much today as I did yesterday.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

some of that could also be due to it flying around to trade shows for 12+ years, then getting shuffled around PG for the last 4....in no box.

the first time i saw it they had to dig through a pile of cardboard to find it.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

It could use about 40 hours of cleaning work done to it for sure.....
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I have always wanted one from day 1. How in the hell numbnutz here gets his hands on both the MPH6300 and the MPH10K is beyond me. IF he ever sells it, it better go to one of us here in the family. If it doesn't, I'll hunt him down and beat him with Brain's pole!!!!

Power wise, I think it wouldn't need the use of an alt as high as 30 ampere. A stock 145 ampere my truck has I would think to be enough. Just because it's huge as hell doesn't mean it's power as hell too.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

smgreen20 wrote:I have always wanted one from day 1. How in the hell SWEETnutz here gets his hands on both the MPH6300 and the MPH10K is beyond me. IF he ever sells it, it better go to one of us here in the family. If it doesn't, I'll smoke Brian's pole.........
Fixed that..... :wink:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!