(WTB) Looking for these resistors desperately

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Virtue

(WTB) Looking for these resistors desperately

Post by Virtue »

Need help! My amplifier's trim pots were crapping out and I need to buy these things. I bought some new, but, the resistance was 20% off... and it messed up my crossover points and no one around town or on the internet carries these things, that I can find... Anyone? I need:
(3) 50K ohm dual
(1) 20k ohm dual
(1) 10K ohm dual

And they have to be fairly accurate. I bought some 50k and the resistance was actually 38k ohms... :evil: Let me know, thanks,
[email protected]
Attachments
pot.jpg
pot.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

what amp are these for... with the amp's make/model and stuff you may have better luck as we ( i know i do) have parts separated by amp make/ model and stuff ... just a thought and trying to help you here...
BUT yeah, so what amp is it for and what channels specificly if it is a multi channel amp
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

They are out of a Soundstream Tarantula 2000watt mono block amp. It belongs on the small circuit board with the cross over and stuff. They look exactly like the picture.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

now if someone only had any experience with those amps on here :hmm: ..............
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

JCamp................
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

It is difficult to get the dual gang pots-- they are widely available, however not typically so much in single quantities. 10% tolerance should be more than fine, and it typical for pots, if you got 50K pots that were 38K, then something was wrong, send them back... The worst they should be is 45K.

What I would suggest-- at least if this is for you personally, is to either add some series resistance to what you have and find your cross over point you are going to use, measure the final resistance, and solder in 1% resistor and make the cross over permanent.

Other than that, the reduced over all resistance of your pot should not be that big of an issue, it is not going to do anything but reduce the range of the crossover. If you need the range you are missing, add the 12K series resistance, and go to town, you are going to then be missing your lower settings, but you don't need the whole range...

On a side note, I am not exactly sure why the tarantula has dual gang pots-- you normally only see that on multi channel amps. I'll have to go back and look at the schematics, it may be that they only use one half of the pot and you could get away with a single gang pot and leave the other holes unpopulated. I know my PG 800.1's used dual gang pots and only one half of the pots. I swapped the horizontal dual gang ones in that with vertical single gang when I built my ZPA 0.8. In fact, those are both 50K dual gangs, I have them around somewhere, they might work for part of your problem.

I'll get back with you after I check out the schematic.

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Okay, the things above probably aren't going to work. The permanent resistors would, but it will take a lot to figure it out. It looks like most of the dual gang pots have both halves in parallel, meaning the resistance range is effectively halved. Most of the places that are used though, uses both the series resistance of the whole pot, as well as the wiper tap. Kind of unusual really, and makes what I said above incorrect, the wrong over all resistance of the pot will indeed affect the over all filter or gain. The only way to get around it with what you have will be with series resistance, and loose part of your range. Keep in mind that even the series resistance fix will only work on pots that are linear taper, so as you'll see bellow, depending on the pot, you may be screwed.

My schematic also shows the crossover control pot as being 4 gang, that one will be really rare. Some of those pots are also supposed to be Log taper, and at least one at a glance is reverse log taper-- all in all, you are going to have a very difficult time sourcing everything. My suggestion would be to contact soundstream. They were more than helpful when I was working on my Tarantula, and coughed up what seems to be from my searching, the last two NOS micro controllers in existence.

Good Luck,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

I know these were going to be a pain to find. I talked to Soundstream and absolutely nothing of soundstream is made in the US anymore. They also said they don't have any of those resistors... And yes you are correct, those pot (it legs) are paralleled together. I am though able to make the double pots by taking 2 single ones apart and gluing them together... I just can't get the values right! Thanks for your input.