Old PG like Ti,Zx,MS series vs The RSd series of today

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
RSdCrazy

Old PG like Ti,Zx,MS series vs The RSd series of today

Post by RSdCrazy »

Ok here is my basic question. I have a PG RSd 500.4 and I am wondering would a used PG ZX450V2, or a Titanium 500.4 be better than my current RSd 500.4 . I have read that the Titanium series was on hell of an amp and quiet expensive for its day, But I also know that the RSd series is built very well with great parts.

Opinions wanted
Marcotah

Post by Marcotah »

I've neve used any of them. I'm still with zenons and M's...
But, as I know, RSd Series were designed by the same guy that made the M and MS series amplifiers. All I know about them is that they are pretty solid, reliable, quiet and a bang for the buck amplifier. Personally I don't like the look.
About ZX and ZX Ti amps, I think Old ZX and ZX .V2 are better.
Anyway I should be happy with any of Them.
I will get good aswers here. It has been on focus for a few times.
Under Construction:
Alpine INA-W910
Arc Audio PS8 (Optical Linked)
Amplifiers (Elites? PDX? HD's? Zapco?)
Focal KRX3 Running Active
2 Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I'd have to say that the RSd's are nice amps. They make rated power and are reliable. I know that the Ti's had some bells and whistles as far as XO's go but I think they are comparable lines overall.......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
RSdCrazy

Post by RSdCrazy »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I'd have to say that the RSd's are nice amps. They make rated power and are reliable. I know that the Ti's had some bells and whistles as far as XO's go but I think they are comparable lines overall.......
Thanks guys. I know the RSd line never got the fame they deserved, but I have seen the inside and this line is built very well with great parts its just I heard so much about the older ugly titanium series and how these amps were around 1k when new and some of the best amps ever made, so I thought I would ask some others in the know...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

ugly titanium series? Other then the rust issues and the ZPA line I think they were the toughest looking line they came out with. Not as pretty as the ms line with the plexi showing off all the gold but just a tough looking line. Matching them with zero point power line was just like forplay.

I have not hear the new line, nor found out about its reliability to compair to
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
RSdCrazy

Post by RSdCrazy »

ttocs wrote:ugly titanium series? Other then the rust issues and the ZPA line I think they were the toughest looking line they came out with. Not as pretty as the ms line with the plexi showing off all the gold but just a tough looking line. Matching them with zero point power line was just like forplay.

I have not hear the new line, nor found out about its reliability to compair to
Yes they are kind of ugly, but I would own it without hesitation. As far as the RSd series I have one and I can tell you it holds its own against my Zed Audio (Planet Audio ) Amp. The one thing about the RSd series is the damn build quality. These things are tanks and are heavy . The capacitors and resistors and even power supply look top notch. Great Amplifier. These amps retailed around $400 and the old Ti series was around 1k and I know they sell well on ebay thats why I was asking. If this was the best amp PG ever built and is it worth it for me to buy one off Ebay, but if its no better than my RSd series then there is no need for me to waste the money. I could try one of the new PGs coming out
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

the ti was a better amp. it used higher end parts, and the crossovers had MUCH more flexibility. it was also fan cooled (which could be argued either way)

the rsd is still a very stout amp, uses similar output stage design. its defiantly a more reliable design. and it may have even higher output voltage then the ti amp. its by no means a sub par amp
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

dude just go for the new ti line so you can tell us about how they sound they appear to be both stout and sq geared.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

since you touched on price^

its worth noting, the ti's used parts that were higher end, even in 98. those parts were damn expensive, plus the ti's were built in America which kept cost higher comparatively. now that its 10 years later, those same expensive parts are more reasonable. so to build a rsd in asia, with parts fairly close to the ti spec, is much cheaper
RSdCrazy

Post by RSdCrazy »

The Golden One wrote:dude just go for the new ti line so you can tell us about how they sound they appear to be both stout and sq geared.

I seen the list of dealers for the new line so I'm guessing these dealers have stock and I'm also guessing knowbody online has the new amps.
I think I would like to have the new Ti 600.4
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

i would really like to hear the new ti's may be even A/B them to some other amps i think they may compare nicely even sq wise.
akwizeguy

Post by akwizeguy »

i thought the zx line was built in the good ole USA, and the titanium zx line was made in asia? i could be wrong?
-2014 Honda CRV LX
//PG zx475ti// PG zx600ti// JL Audio 12W7// Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-V2
Killa_Cam

Post by Killa_Cam »

why u calling my amps ugly? haha just messin'.. i think the ti's are sweet to look at(except my zx600, it's rusted to hell, but is powerful) :mrgreen:. only problems i see with my ti's is they are power hungry as hell compared to my xenon and they rust bad. i've never heard an rsd, but i wouldn't hesitate to get one of them "ugly" ass amps haha. :whistle: :whistle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Killa_Cam

Post by Killa_Cam »

ti is american xenons were asian..
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

the funny thing is all my beat up paint chipped and rusty amps sound way better than my minty looking amps. i guess if i paint my bad looking amps it would deminish the sound quality so i leave them that way all rusty and beat up.
Killa_Cam

Post by Killa_Cam »

yeah i like my beat up ti better then my mint xenon(xenons are ugly imo lol)..
Grim0013

Post by Grim0013 »

"FAMOUS PREMIER RSD LINE WITH BEST SOUND QUALITY EVER!"

...as seen on Ebay. ;)
Octane Limited Edition (maybe for sale soon)
MS2125TA MS2250TA (Thanks Wakeup)
MS2125 x 2 (white, need caps)
MS275 (Burr Browns and fresh caps - Thanks, Matt)
Killa_Cam

Post by Killa_Cam »

link??
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I like my RSd's. I would not be able to tell the diff from my old Ti's, except on the voltage readout :mrgreen: . i don't mind the looks but for the money I'm ok with them.... 3k Watts RMS for less than a grand including shipping. i would prefer a sundown for the subs but meh thats life.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
joyride

Post by joyride »

The RSD is a very good amp. To be honest, in a car environment I doubt you will be able to tell any difference between the ZX and RSD. You should check out some of Eric's reviws, as they are some of the most comprehensive and un-biased you will ever find. The 450 is one of my favorite amps, because it is pretty much the only amp you really ever need. It produces excellent power, and has an XO that has never been matched. I could have never ran the system I did without that crossover.

That being said, there is still somethin about the effects of emotional design. The ZX was one of the most memorable and best looking amps in the history of car audio. They impressions/style/reputation of the amp can sway the ZX to be the better amp.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

The crossover section of the ZX450 is indeed pretty bad ass....BUT ZX4745ti and Ti500.4 crossovers are just as powerful and one might even say better than their predecessor due to a little refinement! :twisted: As an installer that handled more than my fair share of those every one of those multi-channel amps all I have to say is push buttons suck!!! :P

And to the OP...Ugly!? :roll: ZXti and Titanium amps are housed in the sexiest amp case/heatsink PG ever produced...especially in aluminum form. (Joyride was absolutely correct that we all have our favorites and emotion and sentimental value play a major role so take this with a grain of salt!) But even if you don't agree that Ti were the best, RSD amps look like the back of my balls in comparision! :P :lol: :wink:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I am not sure about the sexiest, I would say the ZPA's are sexier and have bigger balls but he zx line is certainly a close 2md.

now I thought the original zx line was made in america up to the beginning of the Ti line until they added the last line of amps(475 for examply) was offshore, and didn't use gold boards?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

"The Fast & Furious" killed amplifier cosmetics! 8) :P
AKA "THE HATER"
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

tall the zx and ti amps were built in portland. the offshore didnt start till the octane-r
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

If I was looking for SQ, I would skip right over the ZX/Ti series and I would be looking for some MS or ZPA amps. If I was looking for versatility I would go with a ZX/Ti. If I was after what I thought was attractive I would be looking for a Reactor, 900.7, or a Route 66....those are my favortie amps cosmetically. Which most people say the Reactor is ugly, but I love it.....I think it's the coolest " looking " amp that PG has produced to date.