chrome plating

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

chrome plating

Post by ttocs »

anyone ever had this done just so I can get some kind of idea of how much it costs? You can plate aluminum can't you? I would like to have some pieces in my interior plated, mainly some 48"x1" aluminum strips I am using on my rear seat delete as well as a couple of pg logos and just curious what this could cost.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

200 ish
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

^^^ yeah if youre lucky

chroming/ nickel plating is not cheap... as pedi and I have discovered.

150 for just a heat sink (size of 2250) and you dont wanna know what it is to do the surfboard... Which is getting dropped off this week in fact!
Last edited by mhyde71 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

for something that size I would consider that resonable. All of my stuff will be fairly small in compairison so I am hoping that if I gave it to them with a fairly open time table if they could just use them to fill up areas on other jobs where they have space to work it in might drop it down a little bit.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

just have it chromed by powder... and cleared.... i realize it's not the same...but would poss save you 100+ or so.

m
Last edited by mhyde71 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if/when I do this I am not going to go half way. I will take the time needed to savet the cash needed to do all of this stuff that I want to.
JK

Post by JK »

ttocs wrote:if/when I do this I am not going to go half way. I will take the time needed to savet the cash needed to do all of this stuff that I want to.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

now were talking.... i like that... no half steppin. its pretty cheap to do the nickle or chrome plating. to do a ms1000 in nickle or chrome it would be 200. thats what the guy told me last week. i felt/feel that thats not that much money.

its the same guy that does/did BILLY LANE's chrome work on all his bikes.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

damn, there is only one plating place in town and when I called them, they only do large contract work, not small shit like mine. closest place is nashville 4 hrs away, I have a buddy there so I might check into it unless anyone has anyone they would recomend since I would end up shipping them.

The reason it is taking so long for me to complete the parts needed for the stereo 2.0 is that I am not willing to comprimise on quality and if it means I need to wait 3 months to either get the money for it or to find the right price, I am willing to wait. The nice thing is that the momstang is never going to be sold by me so I am in no huge hurry to find the stuff as I know it will come.

I still need some more zero point rca cable, and ends, some sound damping, chrome plating, I would like to get the seats redone but again it will be something more then just a basic upgrade and will catch attention. I do no necessarily drive this car everyday but I do keep it out of the weather and super clean. I have not entered many car shows but I plan on winning some and having it in some magazines eventually.
JK

Post by JK »

send me a pice and i will show you... thats the best i can do.. it dont matter if its nickle or chrome. its the same price...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I will need to dig my camera out but there are 6 - 1" x 48" x 1/8" strips of aluminum that I am using as trim I want plated, as well as couple of pg logos.
JK

Post by JK »

send me a pict and i will pass it along. then i will have a solid # of what it will cost me.....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

see the aluminum and green strips that split the grey/black? I will 6 of those again that measure 1" x 48". I will have the paint stripped off of course and it would be polished ready to plate.

Like I said I am in no huge rush, he could fit one or two in on his other jobs if he has space.
JK

Post by JK »

i will contact him with these picts in the next couple of days and let you know what he says...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

it is just aluminum bar-stock strips from the hardware store.
JK

Post by JK »

ttocs wrote:it is just aluminum bar-stock strips from the hardware store.
it looks like you have the ends rounded. you wouldnt want to get it plated when its all square and then round the edges. thats good to know though, so i can tell him. ill find out for sure...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I did shape the ends into points if that is what you mean. The needed some kind of shape, the didn't look right just square.
JK

Post by JK »

i could make them if i had a length. to save on shippin! just a thought.. probally better off sendin what u got so its perfect... im gona look into a price
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

JK wrote:
ttocs wrote:if/when I do this I am not going to go half way. I will take the time needed to savet the cash needed to do all of this stuff that I want to.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

now were talking.... i like that... no half steppin. its pretty cheap to do the nickle or chrome plating. to do a ms1000 in nickle or chrome it would be 200. thats what the guy told me last week. i felt/feel that thats not that much money.

its the same guy that does/did BILLY LANE's chrome work on all his bikes.
it's not so much the point of half-steppin'... plus/and I'm not sure how or why powder would even be considered half steppin'...BUT it is simply a matter of ones preferences and/or application at hand... For example.. theres a guy up here on same street as the shop, that rides a HD - he says that he has
1) had hard time finding places that do chromoing b/c of the environmental aspects/inpacts that chroming has on planet.
2) and given the harsh EPA standards and all that, that he has found chroming to be very very expensive as of late; and powder was like the new and up-n-coming finishing process...
While it has been here since the 60's, it has just recently caught on and made big splash as the fastest growing metal finish here in NorthAmerica in just the last last 5 years or so...

Soooo, he further tells me that even if he had the choice of chroming his HD or having me powder them, that he would still choose to have them powdered because it will certainly look like chrome, wouldnt have to pay all that much, and at the end of the day... in his mind he feels even better about all that because he knows the finish also left no impact on the earth environmentally. so theres that piece of mind aspect in it for him... so i now have a set of handle bars he wants done... in "Durable Patented Chrome"

BUT thats not everybody and i can certainly appreciate that,.... but up here in Vermont.. and in just talking with ppl around here- they are very "tree-hugging" type ppl up here- even right down to the leather jacket, grouped out hd riders... so it is something to consider when thinking or feeling that powder is half steppin' -

of course, but HEY! I resemble that remark... but hey- i just had to share that discussion i had with the "HD head" down the street, last weekend.

So but yeah, nope i can understand wanting chromed...

AND for a heads up for those thinking about or interested in getting an MS sink chromed...
I myself wouldn't do it, because chrome has insulative qualities that wouldnt be good to have on the sink- BUT nickel you can do! - and of course which we will see a big ol'surfboard all done up in nickel here VERY soon!

my .02- but i can appreciate that- it really isnt the same, and i respect that- it is my job (here on the street anyways)- to talk ppl out of painting and other finishing process and use the Environmental aspects as leverage to get them to go with powder- it's the sales guy in me i guess... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by mhyde71 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

I cannot wait to see the pics of the Surfboard with the Nickle finish..
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

keep this in mind- yes you can chrome plate aluminium, but they do not get along well- the bond of the chrome is not real strong, you mentioned 48x1 inch pieces, they will flex (alot) between here/there- it would be pretty likely that you will have issues- also just polishing a piece like that, prepping for the plating process is fairly problematic for the piece, and the polisher- very dangerous for the guy who is polishing, when that 15hp buffer catches that piece and pulls it out of his hands, it basically is a big weapon winging around- a possible alternative would be anodizing, but if you select that, make sure you send it in all one batch, otherwize the color will vary, unless you choose black-
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I didn't really realize there was a chrome powder, do you have examples?

The pieces were individually cut and are recessed into the wood piece so they are flush with the top of the cover. If the edges were not perfect or the holes didn't line up it would not work so would probably end up shipping a 4ft long tube.

I am not worried about the flexing problem as the way the are mounted they will not flex as they are screwed down to the mounting boards.
JK

Post by JK »

eiterway im not makin a dime. i will still look into it for you as far as cost. powder coating rims is a must in FL. CHROME IS CHROME. if you are goin to buy a diamond. why pay the cost when you can buy a CZ? they look the same.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I appreciate your help you sick bastard, this post is infected squared huh?

Did a quick search on chrome powder as I didn't realize they had them. The finish looks perfecty acceptable to be honest. What would you charge for 6 of these strips and the 16" pg logo? I also saw that there is a black chrome which sounds like it would be cool, have you tried that yet?

would I be able to paint on top of the powder if I wanted the green stripes on afterwards? I figured it would not be as durable as the powder but if I cleared over it after tha it would be ok?
Last edited by ttocs on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JK

Post by JK »

i just got done speaking to larry. he said if you do it in nickle or chrome that it would be 80 bucks a pice doing 6 of them. he also said they will need to be hung so there will be a little area where u will see that. maybe on the back soder a little hook.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

$80 each?