MS1000 GOLD

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JK

MS1000 GOLD

Post by JK »

well! im goin for it...... i droped off the sink to get the powder coatin off. tomorrow im picking it up and dropin it off to the nickel shop. i bought a mps2500 and it came with extra end plates so im usin them in this project. i only have one board to put in there at the time, but i will be on the search for another one that matches. i will be postin picts as i go. i have to go with the shroud on it as well. this is goin to be the amp i put into the wall to run my house.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

be sure to tell the coating shop that is doing the stripping to prep it properly for nickel plating...

it really shouldnt be just blasted with AO 80-120G- it really should have a 120G Glass bead blast.

Things i learned while in the process of getting pedis surfboard plated is that 1) you will not get the same nickel finish as you have on the other (1st) one becasue of the fact that it is getting blasted or stripped or whatever-

UNLESS they are doing it chemically- but even still with chemicals and given it is aluminum (which is what hard lesson i have learned- ruined a 275 sink) is that aluminum can not stay in the stripping chemicals for too long- hence it being an full PIA to strip powder off the deep recesses of the fins... b/c it needs to stay in for x amount to pull powder off- but cant stay in so long b/c it is aluminum- (NOW this is of course with my stripper, and may not be the same with every body else's stripper) BUT the bottom line is and was told that no matter what- stripping powder and then nickel plating will not give you the same look as freshly extruded aluminum plated-

We'll see whence i get the surfboard back from it's plating job... BUT was told by the plater that i need to get the smoothest possible blast on earth (glass bead 120G) on it for it to be as close to orig as possible- and still will not be quite as bright as the original...

BUT we'll see-

subscribed anyways now
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

also make sure that it is regular not electroless nickel- regular nickel is brighter but prone to 'shading', where are electroless nickel throws good into recesses- if it were me, I would do both, they are not going to really charge you much more to do it- that way, when the bright nickel shades, the electroless nickel will hide the shading- if you do not know what I am talking about shading, look at something that has been plated, and look at an area around a hole or in a crouch, ie right angle, the nickel will be stained yellow there
JK

Post by JK »

thanks! i will pass it along. im going to gold plate it. should i still do both?
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

they are likely to throw copper on it first, then nickel, then gold- talk to your plater and see what he has available- I would think he would want to hit it with electroless nickel, for better coverage- before the gold tank- let us know what it actually cost to gold plate the heat sink- with todays prices not sure what it would cost-
JK

Post by JK »

i have some time to go now .. ill let u know
JK

Post by JK »

i picked the sink up today. he did it with 100 bead and laughed at me when i asked about 80-120 bead.. this is a good guy, but he still missed a little at the bottom. im gona take it back and get it touched up. heres a picture of the sink... the next one will be nickel.....
Attachments
phoenixamp.JPG
phoenixamp.JPG (182.43 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
JK

Post by JK »

i just got some good news.... a member contacted me and said that they have a ms2250 that the board is next to what im looking for.....
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

JK wrote:i picked the sink up today. he did it with 100 bead and laughed at me when i asked about 80-120 bead.. this is a good guy, but he still missed a little at the bottom. im gona take it back and get it touched up. heres a picture of the sink... the next one will be nickel.....
im confused... why did he laugh at you when you asked him to blast with 80 thru 120G glass bead? when it turns out that is exactly what he did - he used 100G-

did you ask to use "80/120 Grit glass bead"
OR did you ask him to use anything between 80 grit and 120 Grit glass bead? b/c that was what that meant when i wrote 80-120G
mean anything from 80 to 120 grit would be receomended...

Im confused as to why he would think that was funny- when thats exactly what he did- he used 100G (smack dab in middle of 80-120G??

im curious as to what he found funny about that!??! did he say what was funny about that??
JK

Post by JK »

yeah! he knew thats how it had to be done.... he said i was going to get it nickel plated.. rite! at that time i just smiled.... he said that the bead was used for a while so its more to the 120 side...

he did miss the bottom though... i need to run by there today....
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

oh i see.. right, cool i understand/got it...
was just curious... as i am sure there are still things for me to learn - only been doing this coating stuff for 16 mths...
far from a professional - know what i mean-
JK

Post by JK »

your work speaks for itself from what i see... looks good!

this guy is a good dude...... he still missed a area though.. i could of been his helper....
tonym

Post by tonym »

mhyde71 wrote:
JK wrote:i picked the sink up today. he did it with 100 bead and laughed at me when i asked about 80-120 bead.. this is a good guy, but he still missed a little at the bottom. im gona take it back and get it touched up. heres a picture of the sink... the next one will be nickel.....
im confused... why did he laugh at you when you asked him to blast with 80 thru 120G glass bead? when it turns out that is exactly what he did - he used 100G-

did you ask to use "80/120 Grit glass bead"
OR did you ask him to use anything between 80 grit and 120 Grit glass bead? b/c that was what that meant when i wrote 80-120G
mean anything from 80 to 120 grit would be receomended...

Im confused as to why he would think that was funny- when thats exactly what he did- he used 100G (smack dab in middle of 80-120G??

im curious as to what he found funny about that!??! did he say what was funny about that??
some ppl dont like others that dont know as much(not implying you dont know as much cuz i dont know shit about what you guys are talking about myself) telling them how to do a job they do day in and day out ....my guess at what the giggle was about
Last edited by tonym on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK

Post by JK »

:)
JK

Post by JK »

I just got my stuff today.... Wow! The end plates and bars look great.....
The amp looks like SHIT.... I'm so pissed!!!!
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

JK wrote:I just got my stuff today.... Wow! The end plates and bars look great.....
The amp looks like SHIT.... I'm so pissed!!!!
what wrong with the amp?pics .. sorry to hear your not happy
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

seems like it would be hard to polish with all the fins.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

I'll be posting some Picts when I get to my house computer...
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

Still waiting on those pics... Was the sink gold plated, or powder coated with translucent gold over a silver base? Just wondering...

...also sorry it didn't turn out as you hoped...
JK

Post by JK »

heres those picts.... :evil:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

where?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

i tried to post them and cant...i got a new camera and for some reason when i try to post the pictures it keeps saying to big. when i go to try to make it smaller. i cant! thats a big reason i dont post picts.. even before the new camera i had to get jen to email them to her email then the picture could be made smaller the saved. it seems like a mission everytime i try to post a pict...

i was just lookin at the picts of what was done and i cant belive that they even handed it to me looking like that... i dont even want to go there and deal with them on this matter.

i need to figure out something with this one... i dont even want to look at it.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

bummer dude :(

You'll get it worked out I'm sure.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
money-b

Post by money-b »

you paid for it....take it back and tell them to make your shit right!
ALPINE CDA-9815,ALPINE CDA-7897
TI 500.4,TI 800.1
2 X JL AUDIO W6V2
JK

Post by JK »

i am! i need to address it by this tuesday because ill be away working untill the 23rd of this month.