Which is better Alpine Type R 12 or PG RSD 12?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
lukeman269

Which is better Alpine Type R 12 or PG RSD 12?

Post by lukeman269 »

They both handle about the same amount of power, but I want to know which one is better overall. Which one has better sq, output, efficiency, etc.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

try searching for this topic................ :wink:
Has to be a question answered 5-10 times it seems and each time..... The RSdC comes out on top.

It's a very beefy woofer and doesn't require tons of power or space to be a monster. I run 1, Stipud runs 1, Fowler runs them and 3 of my friends also run pairs of them..... Tom runs his off 250watts and I have a friend giving them 700 each.......Both sound awesome.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

Rold Gold wrote:try searching for this topic................ :wink:
Has to be a question answered 5-10 times it seems and each time..... The RSdC comes out on top.

It's a very beefy woofer and doesn't require tons of power or space to be a monster. I run 1, Stipud runs 1, Fowler runs them and 3 of my friends also run pairs of them..... Tom runs his off 250watts and I have a friend giving them 700 each.......Both sound awesome.
Well I know the rsdc would come out on top. I meant the regular Rsd.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

I have yet to be impressed by an RSD, and if anything I believe it would compare more so to the Alpine Type S than the R.
The R would stomp the RSD hands down.
RSDc on the other hand.... different monster.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The regular RSD is a FANTASTIC sub if you can give it a big box (the 12 likes 1.8 ideally). I would say in a big box they actually yield better SQ than the RSDC, but don't get as rowdy.

The Type-R is even more biased towards a punchy bassline if that's what you're looking for. The RSD would be the smoothest, and the RSDC lies in the middle of the two.

I would go with the RSD as long as you can give it a huge box. If you are limited to a small box, the RSDC performs much better (around 1.25cuft is ideal for it).
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Perhaps I was not clear enough.
Clarity will be slightly better with the RSD, but the Type R will knock the piss out of the RSD in overall output.
Build quality is better in the R, it is very overbuilt in comparison to the RSD. (Ive ripped into many of both) The RSD just isnt built the same as the R & cannot be compared to it. The R is designed for high output & good sound clarity. The RSD is designed for clarity with decent output.
Ive tried countless boxes with both 10" & 12" RSD's and to me the sound/performance vs huge box required just isnt worth it when compared to other drivers that dont need such large boxes.

If you are considering a Type R, I'd hold out & aim for an RSDc instead.
Last edited by audiophyle_247 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I've also heard the RSd in a ported box and it rails..... But yeah, big box or no go......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I think when I build the boxes for my RSDC's I am gonna stay around 1 cubic foot sealed.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.