Car audio batteries

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
rh_916

Car audio batteries

Post by rh_916 »

Any decent car audio batteries for under 150 since my car battery is getting too old and im going to put in an new system any suggestion i would appreciate it thanks
todd217

Post by todd217 »

i bought my group 34 yellowtop optima at autozone for around 150. they price matched it to sams club.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

for under the hood or in the trunk? what are you running? provide more info. In the meantime here's some links all 150.00 or under
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audi ... 9a31s.html
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audi ... lways.html
these are right up your alley.... welcome
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
rh_916

Post by rh_916 »

For the hood. I am running just one ti500.4 for my mids and highs right now but in 2 to 3 weeks i will be running 1 or 2 rsdc 12 depending on what amp i get for it.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

A yellow top will do nicely for yer install.........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Rold Gold wrote:A yellow top will do nicely for yer install.........
im running a blue top same thing as the yellow im my mk2 jetta what like a charm
i drawing 90 amp i have not done the big 3 and still no light dimming ect
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Irongoats

Post by Irongoats »

todd217 wrote:i bought my group 34 yellowtop optima at autozone for around 150. they price matched it to sams club.
Same here. :clap:
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is Honor!
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

If you go optima, do some research, the actual color of the battery case, not the top, is more important. They have some that are deep cycle or starting ONLY and you can quickly destroy them in the wrong application.

IIRC, the dark gray case means it is starting only, light gray is dual purpose start/deep cycle, and white (which they may not make anymore) was deep cycle only.

I have several "red tops" with the dark gray case that have gone bad relatively quickly in my off road vehicles. They can only take a repeated discharge a few times before they are garbage. My off road toys sit a lot and if I don't pull the batteries they routinely discharge. If I remember right a optima starting battery can take ~50 deep cycles and it is likely going to be a door stop. I have had excellent luck with the starting batteries in daily drivers. I have one that made it probably 5 years in my pickup w/ no issues.

The yellow/light gray deep cycle/starting combo battery also has a finite number of deep cycles it can take. The info used to be on optimas website, but I am not sure if it is still there. I think it was around 200 cycles was the expected life. Like I say, do some looking around their site.

You might also take a look at NAPA auto's "orbital" battery, it is made by optima, and I have found NAPA's warranty to be more relaxed than when trying to get optimas replaced. I believe the NAPA Orbital is just the version of the starting battery though, no deep cycle ones that I recall.

Good luck,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

See and when I bought my first yellow top back before interstate bought them out I talked to one of their techs on the phone and on a forum(Wish I could remember that forum or had saved it) and he told me all the batteries were made the same they just classed them in different colors for marketing purposes, honestly that is what he said. So I bought a 34/78 yellow top and it lasted 10 years in my truck as a starting battery.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.