So annoyed, amp won't stay on after install.....

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
1Quik7

So annoyed, amp won't stay on after install.....

Post by 1Quik7 »

Ok so I spent the ENTIRE day installing this "system", 1200.1 + Ti12D + 2 farad cap(I know I've heard they don't work, just wanted to try one) and I got it all wired up, the amp won't stay on.
My Cadillac has very limited choices on remote wires, supposedly there are none, but some owners have reported differently.
So the cap is reading good voltage so the juice is on, I turn the key and the amp lights up for a second then shuts off. So I'm wondering, remote wire, bad ground? Any ideas?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Which 1200.1 is it? Phoenix Gold has quite a few of them.

Where did you buy it?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

Does the amp stay on with nothing connected to the speaker outs (no load)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Simple check...jumper wire from batt+ input to remote input on amp....if the amp stays on you know it's the remote wire.
1Quik7

Post by 1Quik7 »

Bfowler wrote:Does the amp stay on with nothing connected to the speaker outs (no load)
I have the amp up and running now, I re-grounded it and it works, however it drains my battery quickly and the sub isn't seeing any power
tonym

Post by tonym »

1Quik7 wrote:
Bfowler wrote:Does the amp stay on with nothing connected to the speaker outs (no load)
I have the amp up and running now, I re-grounded it and it works, however it drains my battery quickly and the sub isn't seeing any power
drains the battery? how so?

is the car not running? take a mulitimeter and see what your charging at..
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I had a amp years ago that for some reason stayed on even with out a remote wire installed? I also had my 69 beetle with my sony cdxc 90 deck m44 and alpine mrvt1501 amp and when the power got lower the deck would act up I sent it in and found out it was my crappy battery

check your wires,battery and alt to make sure they are all working
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
1Quik7

Post by 1Quik7 »

tonym wrote:
1Quik7 wrote:
drains the battery? how so?

is the car not running? take a mulitimeter and see what your charging at..
No, the car wasn't running. This was drunk electronics 101 last night after I got home from a Halloween party. So the amp is up and running and the remote turns on and off with the car so that's good, I need to find out why the sub isn't seeing any power. I've tried 2 sets of speaker cables.
I had a local shop build a custom box and install the sub, could it be they wired it wrong? They asked if it was dual voice coil and I said, no it's quad...they looked at me funny, that might not be good.
1Quik7

Post by 1Quik7 »

Just pulled the box out and brought it inside, no power on the home theatre system either :?
Looks like I'm pulling it.
This was a NIB sub from woofersetc.com I'd imagine it'd not be DoA, hopefully it's just a wiring issue.

EDIT: Switched polarity from the home stereo, out came sound, but no LED's. God, this is ridiculous!
Last edited by 1Quik7 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

do you have a mulitmeter? you can test the speaker outs on the amp to see if they are even putting out power. if they arent, you can test the rca's and seeing if they have any voltage.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
gbody805

Post by gbody805 »

1Quik7 wrote: They asked if it was dual voice coil and I said, no it's quad...they looked at me funny, that might not be good.

Are you talking about an Ti 12D elite sub?

They are DVC with a third set of terminals for the leds.
Kenwood H/U
Elite 961
Elite 61
2X Xmax 15"
2X Ti elite 12D
2X Ti 600.2
Ti 1000.2
Ti 800.1
2X Ti1200.1
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

wire it up for a 2ohm load to the amp and wire up the remote to the leds yourself. there is quad coils, but this sub is not that. this is easy. the sub is most likely fine, prolly wired inside the box to 8ohm. Now go get after it.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
1Quik7

Post by 1Quik7 »

Stryker wrote:wire it up for a 2ohm load to the amp and wire up the remote to the leds yourself. there is quad coils, but this sub is not that. this is easy. the sub is most likely fine, prolly wired inside the box to 8ohm. Now go get after it.
It's up and running.
Thank you everyone for the advice.
I ran into the problem of needing grounded RCA's for the amp input, never woulda guessed that. I also think I need more powah, the sub is struggling on the low end.
It's loud, but not like I remember my old Xmax setup. I read a review on this sub and the guy says the car and everything else is shaking and moving, but you. It's pretty weird, the air in the cabin doesn't vibrate at all.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

1Quik7 wrote:
Stryker wrote:wire it up for a 2ohm load to the amp and wire up the remote to the leds yourself. there is quad coils, but this sub is not that. this is easy. the sub is most likely fine, prolly wired inside the box to 8ohm. Now go get after it.
It's up and running.
I ran into the problem of needing grounded RCA's for the amp input, never woulda guessed that. I also think I need more powah, the sub is struggling on the low end.
It's loud, but not like I remember my old Xmax setup. I read a review on this sub and the guy says the car and everything else is shaking and moving, but you. It's pretty weird, the air in the cabin doesn't vibrate at all.
What kind of box are you running? Size, ported (I hope) or sealed, this kind of setup should yield decent results with the right box. I do think this sub could handle 2k easy and more if you want to burp it. let us know the box volume. Any pic's?
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
1Quik7

Post by 1Quik7 »

Stryker wrote:
1Quik7 wrote:
It's up and running.
What kind of box are you running? Size, ported (I hope) or sealed, this kind of setup should yield decent results with the right box. I do think this sub could handle 2k easy and more if you want to burp it. let us know the box volume. Any pic's?
No pics yet, it's just installed, haven't gone to the task of mounting everything yet. I also haven't played around with all the tuning yet, I turned up a few knobs on the amp and almost wanted to puke with my head in the trunk with the sub on. I also know the line-out converter has some adjustments on it as well.
The box is 1.25 sealed, so it is very small. I don't have a space issue but I just didn't want a huge ported box in my trunk, it's a grocery getter.