MS-2125 Amp fuses question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gothpunk4christ

MS-2125 Amp fuses question

Post by gothpunk4christ »

I received this amp from a friend who said it didn't work. It looks like the main issue is that 2 fuses need to be replaced/installed. I've done a few searches and haven't been able to find a schematic.

Here's a picture of it and the 2 fuses I need are on the far right side. They are the larger fuses, not the smaller ones.

MS-2125
Attachments
I need fuses info please!
I need fuses info please!
ms2125 fuses.jpg (420.41 KiB) Viewed 8101 times
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

are the diods between them burned up or have they been replaced?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
gothpunk4christ

I'm not sure. Those Zener diodes, it appears to just be rosin.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

The fuses are 40 Amps 8)
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
gothpunk4christ

joerg wrote:The fuses are 40 Amps 8)
Awesome. 120V?
valeks1

Post by valeks1 »

AGU Type 40A. If you need I think I have.
gothpunk4christ

valeks1 wrote:AGU Type 40A. If you need I think I have.
Ah, well I appreciate it! I have several resources though I should be able to find something. If I have any trouble getting them I'll give you a holler!
gothpunk4christ

32VAC it appears.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Sure looks like someone dumped some solder on those diodes. Caps look original too.
gothpunk4christ

oldschoolfan wrote:Sure looks like someone dumped some solder on those diodes. Caps look original too.
Yeah I really don't know any of the history behind this amp. Guy said it worked for a while in his truck but then it stopped and he got another amp. I'm gonna go back over a lot of the board and clean up what looks to have been spilled (same method I fix all those water damaged iPhones with) and keep tracing voltages over the board to see what else I can figure out.

I haven't used much of my electronics knowledge in quite some time but I still remember enough to break something worse. ;)
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

It is always strongly suggested by most on this site to replace the input caps if they are original. They have a bad history of leaking, whether or not you can see leakage, so they need to be replaced to prevent a fire in your car. Not trying to scare you, just very important preventive maintenance. If you look around there are a ton a threads here about it, some great pics of damage that can result as well.

Here is an offsite link of a repair a regular on this site did, very informative.

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Au ... index.html
gothpunk4christ

Hey I really appreciate all the information. I haven't measured the zener diodes yet to see if they are still good or not.

I imagine I'll need to keep the same capacitance or is there a suggested replacement, and that's only for the front capacitors, not the larger blue ones?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

no the big ones are the ones you need to worry about. I have an amp I am repairing now that a cap blew up on and they take part of the board with them when they go.
gothpunk4christ

ttocs wrote:no the big ones are the ones you need to worry about. I have an amp I am repairing now that a cap blew up on and they take part of the board with them when they go.
Ah, so I should just probably replace all of them then? lol. The images from the link above made me under the impression that the larger ones were ok.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Usually the larger blue caps, the rail caps, are fine and don't need replacement. The twelve for the power supply are the ones you need to do for sure. The current caps available for the power supply that match the original specs are about a third the height of the originals. For this reason you can get caps that are the same size dimensionally as the originals but with higher capacitance. You can change these to higher capacitance without issue, you just wouldn't want to go lower than original specs. Originals are 16 volts and 2200 micro farads.

Read through this thread, it has some of the caps listed that are commonly used for this preventive maintenance.

http://phoenixphorum.com/ms-capacitor-r ... t9930.html
gothpunk4christ

Awesome. I tried doing a search but I have a bad habbit about not typing the exact words I need to get legitimate and useful results. :P

I'll dig thru that forum asap, I'm really enjoying the poeple here on this forum too lol. Useful and informative, and quite nice as well. :P
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Glad to hear it, welcome.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if yer gonna replace some caps why wouldn't you do them all?
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

mmm :hmm:
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
gothpunk4christ

ttocs wrote:if yer gonna replace some caps why wouldn't you do them all?
Good point, but I'm one of those "if it aint broke don't fix it" kind of people.

Or in this case "if it's not bound to break soon, only fix what will go out soon"

:P

I may have to see about it though.
gothpunk4christ

On further inspection, and a taste test, it looks like the spill that I was noticing on the board, is actually the capacitors leaking... I'm currently going over it with some isopropyl, seeing what I can clean off (its taken off quite a bit)

I am wondering though, there's a connector for a fan... has anyone tried installing one on this amp? I wanna see pictures!

..... and no I didn't actually taste the stuff. :P
gothpunk4christ

Looks like someone previously attempted repair on this amp and did a shoddy job at it. Most of the transistors on the side are unscrewed and looks like a couple of them are even broken. Bah.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that was unfortnatly what I suspected with the bad solder job on the resistors.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I might have some parts for you I have a ms2125 parts board. show pics of what you need. Or you can send it to valeks1 he used to be a pg repair tech and probably can refresh it like new. Alo drfosgate on here does repairs.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.