My attempt at a nice rack for a Mitsu Lancer

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
sxht

My attempt at a nice rack for a Mitsu Lancer

Post by sxht »

Hey guys,

Haven't been on too much lately, been busy with Remembrance Day stuff, but have been slowly working on a, what I think would be, a nice rack using minimal space. This rack takes up the larger side of the 40-60 % slipt of the rear seats.

This is what I got so far, and always open to suggestions...

The way I'm attempting to run the power and speaks is drilling holes just in front of the amp in their respective locations and respective size.
Have the wires attached to the underside of the shelf to stay out of view.
Once they get to the back, holes will be drilled to allow the wires out the back and up to the top of the rack.
From there, holes again will be drilled to where the distro block ports are, hopefully having a clean and hidden look to it...

Or something like that is what I plan to do. The trunk on the Lancer is kinda small-ish, so I was looking for a way to have my sound, but still have room.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
DSC_0284resize.jpg
DSC_0284resize.jpg (386.1 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
DSC_0285resize.jpg
DSC_0285resize.jpg (441.14 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
DSC_0286resize.jpg
DSC_0286resize.jpg (421.63 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
Rollin in a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

do the drawers lock in place.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
sxht

Post by sxht »

Not yet, haven't looked into it. Still trying to stuff everything in and look nice while being functional. The opening is going to be facing the rear seats, so I never thought of putting a lock onto the shelves

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you could just drill some holes in the sides, and then stick a nail or rod in there to hold them but I would consider that before You start running wires so one does not interfear with the others.
sxht

Post by sxht »

Well, the rails are cheapies from Home Hardware, but as long as the amp is on there, the shelf wont really move, unless I pull it or tilt it. Each shelf can come out if you extend it all the way and lift out.

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so unless you are not planning on driving your car, you better consider some way to lock those as if you don't those things will be opening and closing as you accelerate/decelerate or turn.
sxht

Post by sxht »

I'll definatly be putting something on there to lock it eventually, I just thought I'd throw this up here to see what people thought. My main focus is on aesthetics and functionality for now, but for sure, when I'm driving, I'll have locks on 'em.

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5
12voltjunky

Post by 12voltjunky »

creativity should not go unrewarded and i must ask why you are determined to have sliding shelves as part of the design. i see a lot of potential here and would highly caution one to consider something more sturdy (if not permanently fixed) for attaching the shelves. the Ti line is a beautiful thing to display but as ttocs said, you will risk damaging your gear in the event that something should shift suddenly and a bit too far. additionally, the wiring will need to be able to move freely with the as the shelves move. :hmm: but hey, im just rambling. :doh:
1- Zx 400 Ti
1- Ti 600.2
1- Ti 500.4 (resurrected by valeks1)
2- Ti 500.4
2- Ti 1000.2
2-Ti RMD, Lpl, PG 1/0 Ga
Ti 6.5 comps, Ti 5x7 coaxials
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

as he said I am notre really sure what you are going for because once you wire it you will either need to leave an exta 8-10" of wire to use the drawers which will leave a pretty good mess hangin off the front like an ambilical cord for each amp. By the time you add the wire infront of everything I think it will kill most of the view of the amps. The other concern I have is airspace. While I know they are fan cooled, if you put your hand that close infront of the fan you kill its efficiency and leading the amps to get pretty hot. The ti line gets pretty warm if you drive them hard and have a low impedence on them.

please understand I am not trying to bust yer bubble, I am trying to help you and just need to see where you are going with this.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

looks not too bad but ya ditch the sliding drawers. those amps wire up from the front so no need to have the sliders. Ditch the paper weight called a cap and run a decnt battery. Thats very close to my old setup, 475,400,basscube....I had an eq too. what kind of subs you gonna run?
how are you gonna finish the rack? trunk carpet? I like the made in CANADA on the wood tho :lol:
also thread would be much easier too see if pic's were resized to 780x550. I'm subscribed to see this take shape
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
sxht

Post by sxht »

Hey sorry for the delay,

I had it all nicely done up, everything slid well and everything had its place. Took it to the car, fit nicely in the opening, everything was splendid. Tried to slide the drawer out, and shame on me, the fold down of the seat wouldn't let either drawer slide out.

So!... I'm taking the advice of the entire forum and going stable. Everything the same, just not on rollers.
what kind of subs you gonna run?
I got 2 X-max V2, but contemplating only putting one in, to save space.
how are you gonna finish the rack? trunk carpet?
I'm gonna do the same idea I had before, I have a gray carpet in the trunk, so for the outside, same carpet as the trunk, or close to. for the inside, I'm going to get vinyl leather or synthetic leather to line the shelves and inside of the box.

I also have a Optimum Yellow deep cycle Battery in my other car that I'm going to swap out, I just have the cap there to "assist" the battery i guess.
I like the made in CANADA on the wood tho :lol:
Gotta Represent

I'll attempt to re-size the pics too and/or take better ones of the new setup I'm trying, ATTEMPTING, to do. :lol:

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5
sxht

Post by sxht »

Just a thought...

What would you guys say to plexiglass shelves? So you could see through to the next amp? Just a thought... :?:

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

Thats a really nice amp rack but Dang it I thought this thread was going have something else
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

yes to the plexi :) You would have to go at least1/4" thick if not more. cut out the bottom under the amp, of course leavin enough to support the amp :lol: and put neons underneath. Now that would be cool as all heck :lol: That would also slove the hassle of layin carpet and hidin the seams as there wouldn't be any.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
sxht

Post by sxht »

Well I was thinking of the LEDs anyway, but now you got me thinkin....

In
PG RsD 6.5 Comp x2

Up Next
PG ZeroPoint ZX475 Ti
PG ZeroPoint ZX400 Ti
PG Bass Cube
StreetWires Distro Block
DD5