Wire ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
BillM

Wire ?

Post by BillM »

I am running the AKIT-1 amp kit and the matching TMC901K battery terminal. What is the best wire to run for my Big 3 upgrade. I read welding cable is very good, some good and some bad about CCA and tinned copper. What do you guys recommend as I am only going to need about 16 feet. So I could probably buy a 0 gauge install kit and just cut the wire in sections and use the extra pieces in another install. I may buy another AKIT and use the wire thoughts? There are so many choices I thought this would be the easy part. Thanks Bill
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

pm khpower he sells highend pg wire for the job. i have bought from him many times great guy
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Bill - Stay far ...far away from the CCA crap :shock: , go with the OFC 0 gauge stuff as it will give you the best current / power transfer :thumbs: . You could just buy another AKIT1 :hmm: , but I went with some Streetwires 0 guage stuff (Blue) and it's $60 shipped for 20ft :shock: and great fuckin' wire :twisted: . Or you can go with the same stuff in the clear for $18 per 7ft length :shock: , below are the links. :thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STREETWIRES-1-0-GAU ... 3cb04a978e

http://cgi.ebay.com/STREETWIRES-UFX007S ... 3a5e26c995
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Knukonceptz kolossus flex OFC....
You cannot find a higher strand count for the $$, in fact it is the highest strand count 0Ga if memory serves correct.
It's like a wet noodle.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
BillM

Post by BillM »

Thanks for the leads I will definitely check them out.
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Bill - Stay far ...far away from the CCA crap
Why?

It is an excellent product from Knu in the 0 gauge. Great for anything under 200A.
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
BillM

Post by BillM »

I was wondering something else as well. When I look at my AKIT-1 wire its copper color and looks like pure copper. Now when I look at others they are silver even when they say OFC. Do they tint the wire? Sorry for asking such dumb questions.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

BillM wrote:I was wondering something else as well. When I look at my AKIT-1 wire its copper color and looks like pure copper. Now when I look at others they are silver even when they say OFC. Do they tint the wire? Sorry for asking such dumb questions.
yes it's "tinned" makes it far more flexible. the older type's of wire don't have it, which in turn makes it less flexible.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Pillow wrote:
Why?

It is an excellent product from Knu in the 0 gauge. Great for anything under 200A.
Compare the CCA stuff to the OFC stuff and you'll see why :doh: . I accidentally bought some of the CCA crap from KnuKonceptz and compared it to the wire I got from Streetwires and PG and the stuff will not pull the current needed under heavy loads like the OFC :no: . Each to their own and if ya wanna waste the money on the CCA :whistle: , go ahead, but the OFC is a better investment in my opinion. :twisted:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
longboard

Post by longboard »

cca is pretty much useless in all but the most basic of installs you would be better of dropping a gauge of wire and using proper copper if you cant afford the gauge you want!
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
BillM

Post by BillM »

Just bought the Streetwires. Thanks for the help guys.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have not read any significant differences in the power handling ability in the wire. Are you saying that there would be an audible difference in the two wires? I would love to give you that test to A-B and have you tell me which power wire is which.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ZTwenty8SSR

Post by ZTwenty8SSR »

ttocs wrote:I have not read any significant differences in the power handling ability in the wire. Are you saying that there would be an audible difference in the two wires? I would love to give you that test to A-B and have you tell me which power wire is which.
X2 A lot of people say do not buy it but do not really give a reason why.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

there is nothing wrong with cca at all. just know it has about %20 less current handling the copper.

if you are running under 200amps (but still more the 125) there is no reason not to use it.

@bill, yes there is a process called tinning wire. as far as i know it just makes the wire less prone to corrosion.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Knu sells both OFC and CCA..... there is nothing wrong with CCA in
moderate sized systems IMO. I have the Knu OFC(Kollusus Flexs) and it's great to work with, I also want to squeeze every ounce of juice from my Battery bank, hence why I only use OFC. The tinning also does help with corrosion as well as flexibility, i'd forgotten about that. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two. here's the write up that I read in July. Enjoy!!

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/copper- ... e-warnings
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

I was waiting for this one to happen.

I'm Australia's Distributor for Shok Industries. They do both OFC and CCA. We had a car that was in the lanes running Reference Series CCA 1/0AWG cable and in was running 2 x SPL Dynamic 15s wired down to 0.25ohm on a DD Z1 amp and running 16V, it was able to see 152.6dB (and not be pushed all that hard either). The cable is rated at 260AMP.

Folk are quick to say the CCA is aluminium and it'll lose resistance. In a car.. that means nothing! If you are running something with a high amp draw... use multiple runs. Job done. 12V-16V, CCA still works fine. I believe there's a team of Americans (Team Shok) that appear to be doing just fine with the CCA cable.

Sure we can all agree that OFC is the preferred and does work better than CCA in general.... but CCA works, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market to begin with.

/end rant.
-1998 Mazda 929 HC Series 1-
[b]Alpine[/b]- CDA-7998R/CHA-S634/
PXA-H700/MRV-1507 x 3/MRV-F407 x 3
[b]Phoenix Gold[/b]- Xmax 12 x 2/ZPM160 x 4
ZPM100 x 2/ZPT25 x 2/Bass CUBE/DD5
AAMP217

Post by AAMP217 »

Pillow wrote:
Why?

Here is an article from Car Audio and Electronics explaining the differences:

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/copper- ... e-warnings

Here is the video Stinger did on CCA vs. Copper as well:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

interesting its like you guy's read my mind or something i was just thinking someone should test different power wire's with an adjustable power supply while increasing the amperage until the first one catches on fire. but it looks like it doesnt even need that big of a power source to prove which wire is the clear winner. :thumbs:
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

Is it me?? Or 4 minutes into the video.. I cannot see a thing? :(
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

There's nothing wrong with CCA wire. I use 1/0ga. CCA for a main power wire (MAX current draw of all amps is 170amps) because 4ga. copper is too small and 1/0ga. copper is overkill. 1/0ga. CCA fits the power requirements and costs less than copper. Yes, OFC will transfer more current given the same wire cross sectional area and cable length, but if you oversize your cable using CCA then there are no worries. Works great for situations where you are between gauge sizes needed for current draw for OFC and don't want to spend a lot of money when you need long lengths of cable.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

how long does ofc last compaired to CCA? I have some monster 4 awg ofc I am replacing with 0 awg and it is not nearl as shiney as it use to be. Wouldn't that possibly cause a rise in resistance?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

dwnrodeo wrote:There's nothing wrong with CCA wire. I use 1/0ga. CCA for a main power wire (MAX current draw of all amps is 170amps) because 4ga. copper is too small and 1/0ga. copper is overkill. 1/0ga. CCA fits the power requirements and costs less than copper. Yes, OFC will transfer more current given the same wire cross sectional area and cable length, but if you oversize your cable using CCA then there are no worries. Works great for situations where you are between gauge sizes needed for current draw for OFC and don't want to spend a lot of money when you need long lengths of cable.
this.

i use CCA as a in between size too. at areas like 70-90 amps where 8awg isnt enough, but its worth saving money not using 4awg ofc

or 120-200 amps...for 1/0 cca. too big for 4awg, less expensive then 1/0
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Tiger wrote:Is it me?? Or 4 minutes into the video.. I cannot see a thing? :(
The audio continues, but the video freezes up.
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

I thought so... I wanted to see this CCA smoke
BillM

Post by BillM »

Got the Streetwires today. I probably could have used either as I am just using it for my Big 3 upgrade but the price difference was not that big between the two for only 20 feet. Probably could have saved 15 bucks going CCA instead. Just a note the Streetwires is very nice wire for sure but its pretty stiff stuff. If you have to run tight corners and need something like a wet noodle this is not the stuff to get but it serves my purpose well.