figure this shit out!!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
mistawikid

figure this shit out!!

Post by mistawikid »

Ok, this might be a lil long "winded" but I dont wanna forget anything. Currently I have 4 RSD DVC ten inch subs running two ohm stereo on an RSD 500.4. Recently the amp stopped working but everything else kept working. I checked each sub and they were fine. I checked my gound to the ground block and it was fine. So I took the amp out, a lil prematurely...... I have one ground to the frame going into a monster cable ground block (w/no fuses) and four grounds coming out. 2 pg caps are individually grounded along with the 500.4 and my midrange amp, 300.4. Everyground is snug inside the block but the ground from the 500.4 is reading bad on my meter.... Its secure as hell but its showing bad?????

1. Can a ground cable that was installed correctly two years ago in a dry clean area just quit working?
2. OR, can a big as ground block just stop doing its job on one of the four grounds????

Plan on running a new single ground for the big boy and seeing if that works, but I am super stumped with why it aint working????
! its all fun and games until the Cops show up !
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: figure this shit out!!

Post by ttocs »

when the amp quit working, did it go into protection or did the power light go out completely?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

have you tryed disconnecting the ground wire that is reading bad and check to see if it may have arked out? weird stuff happens ever so often. :|
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
mistawikid

Post by mistawikid »

ttocs wrote:when the amp quit working, did it go into protection or did the power light go out completely?
I forgot to mention that part!!!?? When the stereo comes on and all the stuff in the back starts getting power the big amp doesn't do nothing.... no power then off and no protection light, ever.

BUT.... If I got everything already turned on (minus the 500.4 of coarse) and I remove the inline fuse on the power wire running to the 500.4 and replace it the amp comes on and turns off immediately. You hear it click on then click off quickly then the led's just fade out.....
Last edited by mistawikid on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mistawikid

Post by mistawikid »

The Golden One wrote:have you tryed disconnecting the ground wire that is reading bad and check to see if it may have arked out? weird stuff happens ever so often. :|

What is arked out?? I've been doing car audio stuff since I was 15 (17 years) but I was self taught and have never heard that phrase or had it happen before??? Do u think its something I did??? or just bad luck/cable???
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

when something like a wire or electrical contact dosent make a good connection or has to much current flow trough it it can become arked out. it's sorta like being burnt up but it is with copper brass or gold when it is arked out it will not make up the same contact as it should. some thing's that have been arked out can be cleaned and reused and some times wire can be cut shorter to take out the bad spot. :D
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
mistawikid

Post by mistawikid »

!!!!!!!thanks!!!!!!!!! to say i was/am stumped is an understatement! hope to be flexing my roof again tmro!!!!
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I know this is stupid sounding, but have you checked fuses?
Boomshackalacka
mistawikid

Post by mistawikid »

yeah, i replaced the fuse under the hood and both in the back at the fuse block. NO LUCK! I ran a new ground wire and its knocking pictures off the wall again!!!