Hertz ribbon mid/tweeter question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Virtue

Hertz ribbon mid/tweeter question

Post by Virtue »

I am interested in the Hertz ML 500R ribbon mid/tweeter speakers. So, as for best sound quality, should I use these for BOTH mids and tweets OR would it sound better if I use these for mids AND still have a separate tweeter? I like to crank the volume up, so should I, maybe, separate the frequencies using both mids and tweets to lower the high volume distortion? And does anyone have some for sale? Any thoughts?
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Re: Hertz ribbon mid/tweeter question

Post by Jacampb2 »

I have not seen these, however, typically ribbons (unless they are very, very long) excel at the upper end of the audible frequency spectrum. Most that I have seen recommend a crossover point higher than 8Khz. Unless these are some really crazy drivers, you are probably better off with a dedicated mid, not another tweeter.

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

These babies go from 700hz to 35khz. But, I know from experience if one driver is playing a huge amount of frequencies at a larger power level, it gets distorted fast. So, if I separate the amount of frequencies these speakers play, I can crank it louder. But, I need to know for sure... I want to use my ZPA .5 or my MAC 500 on them.
Kurt Wild

Post by Kurt Wild »

These ribbons are a pain to install because of their large dimensions. If you install them without separate tweets, beaming can be a problem. Ribbons are very directional at high frequencies, so they need to be pointed directly at your ears. If not, use separate tweets.

These hertz ribbons are considered one of the best midrange speakers out there.