can someone with an MS2250 do me a quick favour?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
marko

can someone with an MS2250 do me a quick favour?

Post by marko »

..or any ms amp really, what should the resistance between rca shield and heatsink be? i'm getting almost a dead short and this doesn't seam right!

the strange thing n with these amps also is the negative speaker cable is connected to the heatsink!
Last edited by marko on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Re: can someone with an MS2250 do me a quick favour?

Post by The Golden One »

i will but i need you to be a little more specific what do you mean like you need the resistance of the rca ground connector to the outer part of the heat sink or what? :doh:
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
marko

Post by marko »

what i need to know is the resistance between rca shield and heatsink, i'm showing an almost dead short and this doesn't seam righht as non of my other brands of amps i have lying around do this :?:

i have bad alternator whine and 99% convinced it's the amp(s)..
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

well ok i checked my mps2500 from the rca ground the outer part of the rca to the heatsink and its dead short i even took the rca off of the faceplate and still no resistance straight zeros on the meter on both rca's . :)
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Last I knew you should have a dead short with the switch on the amp in the "ground" position, and some measure of resistance with the switch in the "float" position. The switch either ties the input section to ground or floats it with regard to the rest of the amp.

Also, like many other amps, one speaker (+) will be tied to ground and the opposite channel's (-) will be tied to ground. There are amps which have a completely isolated chassis, but these are not.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Take a look at this attached photo. In it you can see one speaker terminal, and next to it the screw to mount the board which will thread directly into the chassis. There is plenty of trace material connecting the two. So, the speaker outputs have one terminal tied to the chassis of the amplifier. The center tap of both transformers is also connected to this (as it is the negative speaker connection as well).
Attachments
MS2250_overall_2.jpg
MS2250_overall_2.jpg (92.86 KiB) Viewed 7769 times
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

Eric D wrote:Last I knew you should have a dead short with the switch on the amp in the "ground" position, and some measure of resistance with the switch in the "float" position. The switch either ties the input section to ground or floats it with regard to the rest of the amp.

Also, like many other amps, one speaker (+) will be tied to ground and the opposite channel's (-) will be tied to ground. There are amps which have a completely isolated chassis, but these are not.
Eric D my amp doesnt have a floating ground switch i thought only the zpa's have it, but i did switch both the stereo bridged switch and the master slave switch and still read dead short on rca ground. :)
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Your are right, my MS2250 has just the stereo bridge switch. I was thinking of the MS275 I guess.

Either way, the larger ms amps are tied to ground.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

Eric D wrote:Your are right, my MS2250 has just the stereo bridge switch. I was thinking of the MS275 I guess.

Either way, the larger ms amps are tied to ground.
yea my 2125 doesnt have a switch but the mq430 does so i guess maybe the bigger amps dont have the floating ground. :)
marko

Post by marko »

very strange design! if i uncouple those 2 board screws near the speakers then that takes the dead short out :?:

so my amps may be ok after all, seamed odd that all 3 ms2250's in my system exhibited the same results :?
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

marko wrote:very strange design! if i uncouple those 2 board screws near the speakers then that takes the dead short out :?:

so my amps may be ok after all, seamed odd that all 3 ms2250's in my system exhibited the same results :?
have you figured out the reason your having alternator whine? some things like pinched rca's or rca's ran along side the power wire and leaking spark plug wires can cause this noise amongst other things. :)
marko

Post by marko »

guaranteed not spark plug wires :lol: (diesel)..

with muting plugs in the amps and speaker wiring disconected i have whine on all 3 amps, 2 are noisier than 1, the quitetest is on my mids/tweeters and it's hardly audible just bugging me a bit :evil:
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
longboard

Post by longboard »

marko have you got the amps and or any proccesors isolated from the chassis of the car thats one of the most common alt wine causes
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
marko

Post by marko »

longboard wrote:marko have you got the amps and or any proccesors isolated from the chassis of the car thats one of the most common alt wine causes
i shall check this although everything is mounted to wood/mdf but you never know, something could be touching a bracket/chassis somewhere..
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
longboard

Post by longboard »

we had a simalr issue and found one of the bolts holding a line driver down had rubbed through the back side of the mount and had rubbed the paint of the chasis and earthed! that was a pita to find!
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

longboard wrote:we had a similar issue and found one of the bolts holding a line driver down had rubbed through the back side of the mount and had rubbed the paint of the chassis and earthed! that was a pita to find!
yep i had this happen on a zx450 one of the screws went past the plastic mounting feet and it actually sparked, i just used some left over ground wire insulation to keep the screw from touching the chassis of the amp and it worked good. :)
marko

Post by marko »

alternator whine is almost gone now but is more noticable for the 1st few moments then goes away (always done this even with different amp!)

...but something more worrying is happening, after i completely turn the system off i hear static on the left channel for anything up to 30 seconds after, no idea what this can be??
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

longboard wrote:we had a simalr issue and found one of the bolts holding a line driver down had rubbed through the back side of the mount and had rubbed the paint of the chasis and earthed! that was a pita to find!

aahhhh that brings back memories. "How come when I tap on the time driver I hear it though the speakers?" how often have you said that?????
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Eric D wrote:Take a look at this attached photo. In it you can see one speaker terminal, and next to it the screw to mount the board which will thread directly into the chassis. There is plenty of trace material connecting the two. So, the speaker outputs have one terminal tied to the chassis of the amplifier. The center tap of both transformers is also connected to this (as it is the negative speaker connection as well).

Like Eric explained and thats why PG amps all had whine if the amp chassis was grounded to the vehicle chassis creating a ground loop. At least any that came in our shop with a whine that was usually the cause. If that's not the problem let us know I am sure someone will come up with a valid reason and it'll get fixed. Could be as simple as a stray wire, or a screw got put through a cable?
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

marko wrote:alternator whine is almost gone now but is more noticable for the 1st few moments then goes away (always done this even with different amp!)

...but something more worrying is happening, after i completely turn the system off i hear static on the left channel for anything up to 30 seconds after, no idea what this can be??
That is probably the one channel slowly discharging its rail capacitance. I just found this out as well with an amp I was working on. One channel discharges fast, the other does not. Yet the amp seems to work fine.
marko

Post by marko »

so what's the fix Eric, new rail caps? this static discharge can go on for anything up to a minute, very strange! i had this amp on my midbass through a passive before i swapped things round so i never picked up on it :roll: it's frustrating as i've already stripped all 3 amps down for psu cap swaps and didn't fancy stripping them down any time soon :(
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set