Problem with zx350 swollen caps?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
tdotaz

Problem with zx350 swollen caps?

Post by tdotaz »

Hey guys, I picked up a zx350 for $60 bucks locally in good physical condition, however one of the channels produces a distorted signal. It produces a loud scratching, as well as a distorted signal everytime the low frequencies hit. The other channel is fine. I took it apart, and two of the caps do definitely look swollen. The person offered to give me a refund.. or some of the money back if I want to fix it. I was going to replace the caps anyways but I would just like to make sure that it is JUST the caps that would produce this problem. If anyone could provide some insight that would be greatly appreciated. Pic of caps:

A bit hard to see but the two furthest caps are very flat.. and the lower 2 are considerably more round at the top
tdotaz

Re: Problem with zx350 swollen caps?

Post by tdotaz »

Also, if anyone on here does caps, let me know how much you charge, Cheers
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Distortion doesn't really come from caps usually (but fire sure does!)

Usually that is the pots being oxidized. Turn up and down the gains, bass boost, and all other knobs a whole bunch of times, then reset them to their original position.
tdotaz

Post by tdotaz »

Sorry what are you referring to as "pots" I'm not familiar :doh:
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

The little yellow thing on your board with the X on it for turning is a pot also the bass gains and amp gain are pots that can produce scratchyness. If you mess with that Yellow one on the board or any others on the board make sure you get them back to the exact right position.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Better yet, don't mess with the yellow knob pots at all. If you turn them up too far you instantly fry that channel.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

^^Yeah, what Eric said, don't mess with anything internally! By "pots" Stipud was referring to the bass boost, gain, and crossover knobs located on the outside of the amplifier, near the RCA inputs.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?