Tantrum 1200.1 with a 1.5 ohm load?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
lukeman269

Tantrum 1200.1 with a 1.5 ohm load?

Post by lukeman269 »

I got a Ti Elite and wired it in parallel and I got a resistance of 1.5 ohms. Will a Tantrum 1200.1 handle that ok? I want to be sure, so I don't buy an amp that doesn't work with the Ti Elite.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Tantrum 1200.1 with a 1.5 ohm load?

Post by stipud »

It's definitely not ideal. It will get quite hot at that load. I've seen and heard it working before, but a far better setup is TWO T1200.1's (one to each coil!). Alternatively I suggest you look for a Ti1200.1, X1200.1 or RSD1200.1, as those better match the sub.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

1 thing you have to be aware of is the fact that the Tantrum 1200.1 CAN NOT BE REPAIRED if it burns the chip inside. They don't make that part anymore. IMO, it's really the only flaw in the design of that amp.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I think DC resistance is different from speaker impedance which the amps are rated at. The DC resistance actually changes with frequency and the enclosure type. As for if it is safe, I would think if the sub is rated as a dual 4ohm, it is safe...

Hello from my phone!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

00goobs wrote:I think DC resistance is different from speaker impedance which the amps are rated at. The DC resistance actually changes with frequency and the enclosure type. As for if it is safe, I would think if the sub is rated as a dual 4ohm, it is safe...

Hello from my phone!
the dc resistance changes with frequency :D , ah wouldn't dc be a freq of 0? :P

I think the term you are looking for is the nominal impedence, or the average impedence taken over the range of freqs?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

stipud wrote:It's definitely not ideal. It will get quite hot at that load. I've seen and heard it working before, but a far better setup is TWO T1200.1's (one to each coil!). Alternatively I suggest you look for a Ti1200.1, X1200.1 or RSD1200.1, as those better match the sub.
Hey Luke, I wouldn't recommend looking for the Ti1200.1 even though they are awesome amps (not that the Ti1200s are that easy to come by these days anyway). The RSd or Xenon would probably do great though. As we discussed via email, the Ti amps are class ab, and given the electrical issues you have already had, I think the Ti would be too much of a draw unless you are going to do an alternator or at least two serious batteries before you install.

I see more Xenons than RSd 1200s around, but I used to power my two elites with an RSd1200.1 each, and I never had any trouble, it sounded great. Hope you figure it out. Looks like my dual Tantrum 1200s on a Ti Elite will have a chance to come together after all down the road...I was gonna do 2 Rsd 1200s or 2 Xenon 1200s if you took 1 of the Tantrums but I might as well use the Tantrums if I will have them : ).
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

Phoenixcolt wrote:
stipud wrote:It's definitely not ideal. It will get quite hot at that load. I've seen and heard it working before, but a far better setup is TWO T1200.1's (one to each coil!). Alternatively I suggest you look for a Ti1200.1, X1200.1 or RSD1200.1, as those better match the sub.
Hey Luke, I wouldn't recommend looking for the Ti1200.1 even though they are awesome amps (not that the Ti1200s are that easy to come by these days anyway). The RSd or Xenon would probably do great though. As we discussed via email, the Ti amps are class ab, and given the electrical issues you have already had, I think the Ti would be too much of a draw unless you are going to do an alternator or at least two serious batteries before you install.

I see more Xenons than RSd 1200s around, but I used to power my two elites with an RSd1200.1 each, and I never had any trouble, it sounded great. Hope you figure it out. Looks like my dual Tantrum 1200s on a Ti Elite will have a chance to come together after all down the road...I was gonna do 2 Rsd 1200s or 2 Xenon 1200s if you took 1 of the Tantrums but I might as well use the Tantrums if I will have them : ).
Yeah I wasn't planning on the Ti Elite. No way my electrical system will handle an a/b class very well at all haha. I would love to get an Rsd 1200.1 if I could come across one. I will keep looking around to see what I can find. Thanks for the input! Hope to see some pics of your install with your Tantrums hooked up to the Ti Elite! :D
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

ttocs wrote:
00goobs wrote:I think DC resistance is different from speaker impedance which the amps are rated at. The DC resistance actually changes with frequency and the enclosure type. As for if it is safe, I would think if the sub is rated as a dual 4ohm, it is safe...

Hello from my phone!
the dc resistance changes with frequency :D , ah wouldn't dc be a freq of 0? :P

I think the term you are looking for is the nominal impedence, or the average impedence taken over the range of freqs?
Ohh hey, those RCA cables you sold me are really nice. I love the look of those zero point connectors, very durable too. I see now why you buy them whenever you get the chance :) . Thanks again!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

Rold Gold wrote:http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2271868606.html

This is local to me.........
I wish I had the cash... It sucks trying to sell old equipment, in order to buy different stuff :(