Getting a good deal

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
smgreen20

Getting a good deal

Post by smgreen20 »

I have a Craigslist app on my phone and it's set to notify me of certain things. Well, it went off 2 hrs ago for....

A Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 AND a Punch 45 for $45 TOTAL.......

The 150 has a bad channel, but I could get that fixed and if it's not to much/hard I could do that myself. Called the guy and he said he'll even throw in a 10 band eq. Didn't say want brand though.

Here's the link: http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/ele/2271609001.html

edit was to add link
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
smgreen20

Re: Getting a good deal

Post by smgreen20 »

They're here and DAMN they're older then what I thought. I think I made off like a bandit. These are around the '92 era. I'm pretty freakin stoked at this. Nothing looks to be wrong with the Punch150 on the board at all. Hopefully it's just a bad fuse as there are some in there. Both look to be clean inside so fingers crossed I find a bad fuse on the 150. This guy was the original owner, paid $500 for the 150 and $200 for the 45. I got BOTH for $45. I'll clean them up later tonight and test them out.

PUNCH 150

PUNCH 45

Eric, might you be able to chime in on these. Anything I need/should check. I know you worked there, but I'm not sure if these are before your time there.

All others, please feel free to chime in as well.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

let me know if you want to get rid of the 45,thanks
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

After closer inspection of both amps, the 45 has a bad channel. I can see a few of the resistors burnt on one channel in between the fuse holders for that side. I believe it'll be to the left in the pic above. As well, all four of the fuses were blown. Now, the 150 shows no signs of any problems and all four fuses tested good. I believe he had the amps reversed with which one had the problem. At least I hope so.

None of the MOSFET's look damaged on the 45 so I'm going to take a shot at replacing the few resistors that I saw were bad. I can look at the opposite channel and see what values I'll need. Due to the tight space of 2 of the locations, there's plenty of room to mount them on the reverse side of the board (if that's OK), anything else that the burnt resistors might indicate what else is wrong or that I should check. Also, the other end of the plug to the 45 is missing.

Install:
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

Nice score man! You're fortunate that these aren't the "hd" series and shouldn't be too awefully hard to get going again. I'ld suggest checking for shorted driver and output transistors. Do a continuity check between all three leads of each one. It appears the drivers are right beside the output bjt's right under the clamp. If you have continuity between any of the legs of each transistor, then it needs to be replaced.
AKA "THE HATER"
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

I would also be interested in that 45 if you want to get rid of it. It is actually a very rare bird. It was an update that came out just before the HD's. It seems not many of these were produced.

Totally nice score by the way.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Which is more desirable, the HD of w/o the HD? Also, what's the difference between the HD and the nib HD?

Install:
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

The "hd" stands for "hybrid design" and was the introduction for surface mount components (at least for Rockford that is). The preamp and driver stage for the hd's had proprietary boards that utilized the surface mount design. These are much harder to repair than the previous generations of these amps. If one of these boards needed repair, typically the whole board would be replaced with a new one. As old as these amps are, you can imagine how hard it is to come by one of these boards :shock:

I don't think either the original or the "hd" are more desirable than the other. You'll probably find just as many people want the "hd" as the older gens and visa versa.
AKA "THE HATER"
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Thanks for the reply Shawn.

Install:
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

smgreen20 wrote:Which is more desirable, the HD of w/o the HD? Also, what's the difference between the HD and the nib HD?
I agree that either is desirable to the right person that has attachment to one model or the other. The HD's were solid and a good improvement in power over the original. As Shawn stated though, the proprietary surface mount boards were total crap. They were ceramic. Hello, ceramic. Not good with the automotive environment, as in vibrations. They get tiny cracks and for the most part are not repairable. The whole "card" needs to be replaced. For this reason you will see many HD's on the bay that have a bad channel. Sorry no fixy.

The originals in my opinion, just my opinion, are superior due to the greater reliability and easy repairs for us lay people because they are all through hole design. They are no PG but cool amps no less.

There was a guy that worked at a local audio shop that ran his whole car off one Punch 45. Not the loudest thing you ever heard but it had good volume and sounded great. Very versatile little amps, and yes, way under rated, the old school way.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Also, fun fact. That early era of Punch amps posted above, the 150 was the only Punch that had bipolar outputs. All the other Punch amps were Mosfet outputs.
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

oldschoolfan wrote:Also, fun fact. That early era of Punch amps posted above, the 150 was the only Punch that had bipolar outputs. All the other Punch amps were Mosfet outputs.
Dam... you're absolutely right! Well from repairing a couple 150's, I assumed all of these from this gen utilized BJT's. I guess I didn't realize it was just the 150's. :doh: I guess I couldn't read the "mosFET amplifier" on the bottom of the 45. :oops: :doh: :doh: LOL
AKA "THE HATER"
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Well after a bit of thought, I have decided to sell the amps. I'm a Clarion collector, not an RF collector. As such, I have found a few Clarion items I want and I need to sell these to pay for the others. I'll sell the 45 here (make offers via pm) and the 150 on eBay. EBay for the reason that need quite a bit to fund the Clarion hu, and I don't want to take advantage of anyone here. You can pm me on both amps if you like. I was watching two 150's on eBay and need close to what they got. $125. I'm going to test it later this week.

Install: