My MS fan shroud (Part 1)...

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
00goobs

My MS fan shroud (Part 1)...

Post by 00goobs »

I can't find one or care to buy one if I did, so I'll just make one... It should look like the reactor's cousin as I prefer that shape to the original shrouds. There will be 2 fans and windows/screens on each short side and I'll monitor the temps when installed. The fans I've got really seem to move some air, so I am not worried. I could fit 3 per side, but I'll try 4 total first. Inside are my 2250TA and 275 obviously and will need to make a plexi after this one is done. I should be updating as I just started and seem to be addicted to this place for some reason.

It was a bit easier to make 4 pieces than one big sheet then cut and bend it into place. I have a bunch more to make for the other amps including the M-series, so here are a few pics. I'd also rather work with Aluminum, but this thickish galvanized sheet was just laying around begging to be used. I'm not a welder, so laugh lightly. Galvanized steel and welding aren't good friends hehehe...

The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Re: My MS fan shroud (Part 1)...

Post by The Golden One »

look's like a pretty good start so far the welding dosen't look too bad, i would think the big old school phoenix gold sticker with the rca would look good on the plexi, and if the rca was on the 275 side it would break up the monotony. :)
Last edited by The Golden One on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I might have one of those decals, pm me if you want it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

the rough prototype look's great! the new one's being made out of aluminum will in it's self aid in heat dissipation.. :thumbs:
Square 1
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well that is the idea of the shroud other then looking tits......
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

will you be thinking about or considering getting shroud coated? a particular color or the OEM white that PG did before? OR we could frank it... with the red and blue flakes>>>?

lmk wyt if you are even open to getting it coated by us?
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I've got all the Aluminum cut, just need to trim and weld them all together. I should have the 275, 2125 and the combo done soon. I just picked up a camera, so I'll have nice pictures soon. My powder coating skills are pretty much non-existent, so if there is any interest then it'll go to you, Mr. mhyde71. I actually do fab stuff on the side, so I hope to do more for the forum as well as keep these amps in daily "COOL" use, hehehe...

Another thing I was looking into, since I LOVE Aluminum so much, maybe Khameleon-Koatings can do some anodizing if the finished shroud is in acceptable form... I can't do it at home as I have small children and sulfuric acid isn't very good on the skin...
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

Aluminum on the MS2250. I really thought I could run a decent weld, good thing 3M made Roloc disks cheap... Will do the Amp stand/bracket and the fan holders tomorrow and learn to keep the amperage lower on the welder... Also will need to find wire mesh or a 6x9 speaker grill that is flat in the center. Thanks for looking!

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

go to your local hardware store and you can fine the mesh you need for the grill. Or parts express sells a few different types/styles as well I think.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

You did a knock out job, looks good. The only thing I would've done differently is the weld itself. Instead of the stacked dime look, I would've went with a single smooth weld.

As noted, go to the local hardware store and find some aluminum screening and you could just tack weld it to the back side of the shroud.

Ohhh how I miss welding aluminum.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

those are some fairly good welds to be welding aluminum as it not the easyiest to weld and grinding it down and then using a sanding disk can make it look real good. :thumbs:
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I'm not knocking them, just stating what I thought would look better. I fully understand how aluminum welds. I welded alum. for 9 yrs.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

smgreen20 wrote:I'm not knocking them, just stating what I thought would look better. I fully understand how aluminum welds. I welded alum. for 9 yrs.

I think I've got a few inches of smooth welds, but my fitment was pretty bad in most areas. If I could have the sheet water-jet cut, then I could have made one flat sheet then bend it with very minimal welding. But, this is my garage build and I don't have free access to a water-jet, so there were 1/8" gaps here and there.

I'll be the first to admit, I am not a welder, but more of a "wish to be". I've got some decent looking welds on 1/8" Aluminum, but this thinner material had me playing with the amperage, frequency and stuff just to stop burning holes, hehehe. I may look into a flanging machine to get the material to fit better and I'm sure that will help the welding process. I wish I could hang out and get some lessons from a real welder as I really don't like grinding too much, hehehe.

Thanks for the comments, I'll be trying a different technique on the next one just to help lessen the welding. I didn't think it was going to be so hard to make and fit the corners. Not one of them was the same as the other, hehehe....
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

im not really sure what welder your using but if it has a hot start on it it can be useful, i have a miller that has it and it's very helpful on aluminum. the hot start simply let's you weld hotter when you start welding and then lowers the amperage back down once you establish a puddle. it does take time getting used to and it's kinda hard to get the percentage right on thin stuff, but once you get the hang of it your weld's will be more uniform from start to finish. :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Liking the shape of your shroud better than the PG version actually. I am sure when you smooth out those welds it will look fantastic!
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Very cool.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

it is a neat play on the ZX/octane design brought back to the ms line.

while the original one had the same style flat-fans I really think a single squirrel cage fan would be better to direct a better stream of air all the way down the back of the heatsink. With out some kind of ducting the majority of the air will just hit the end and not go as far. I have one I am going to be using in my roadster install, they blow a really good amount of air but out of a 1/4" slot that is 6-8" long.
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

Hello team, well about 30 minutes of sanding/grinding and it is in "coat-able" shape, but I may try to polish it just to have it done. I am going to do the fan holders/ducting and should have a finished product tonight or in a couple of days. Thanks for the kind words and help as the welding then grinding is a big chore. I have another method I'm going to try on the next few. I've only got 4 MS amps and 2 are going to share a shroud, so all is great and pretty fun. I just have to weld them clean and the sanding/grinding would be much easier. I also need to check out the local shops for a nice looking grill.

I was thinking of an air/port set-up like the TI amps, but I think the dark mesh type would be a bit cleaner if done right but more restrictive. I also spotted an 8" squirrel cage fan at the nearest electronics parts place not too long ago, so I may snag it next time I am there. It does blow alot of air compared to these little guys. I do think 2 push and 2 pull may be alright for the 2125s and the squirrel cage for the 2250-275 combo. Thanks again for looking and thanks for a great and supportive site!

edman79

Post by edman79 »

:shock: That's sweet. It like it raw like that, and powder coated would be sweet as hell. You could probably make some $ selling that here. I would want one for an M44 and an M100.

Eddie Ed
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

edman79 wrote::shock: That's sweet. It like it raw like that, and powder coated would be sweet as hell. You could probably make some $ selling that here. I would want one for an M44 and an M100.

Eddie Ed

This is what I've come up with so far for the M. It mounts to the back screw holes and should have a rubber gasket where it meets the top cover. It is too tall, so I may move the fans to the back and direct the air to the fins from the rear, but this was way too easy which is why it looks bad... I also did not notice the difference in height on the fins, so the front ended up being too tall and top leaning back.

JK

Post by JK »

Looks good!!!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

PG actually made a pretty nice M-series shroud with push-pull fans mounted beside the amp.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

they make some smaller/thinner fans that are only 5mm thick. If you are not going to go with the traditional heatsink design(which is pimp) that might look better.
edman79

Post by edman79 »

I know the original M series shroud are nice, but $ and rare to find. I've never seen one for sale for less than the price of the amp. No way am I going to spend that.

Eddie Ed
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I remember seeing HoseHead's collection, those original shrouds are great. I think I can make a cheap useful one unfinished. A thinner fan would look similar to the originals in shape without the added width. The fan in the back may be a bit cleaner with the big fan airflow and space for the PG logo. I'll try another one later today...

Hello from my phone!